Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick view on the game yesterday

Il make it brief!

I thought this was going to be a tough one, as Portsmouth have plenty of experience and a lot of quality throughout their team.

Utaka was seeing a lot of the ball in the first 10 - 15 minutes, and was causing us all sorts of problems with his pace and skill. It was the first time ive seen Walker struggle to cope, as I dont think he has come up against anything as difficult as Utaka yet. Everything was going through him and Kanu linking up well, and when Utaka smashed the bar from outside the box, it seemed a matter of time until they would score.

Adel was getting a lot of the ball early on too, and causing a lot of problems for their defence, showing some quality touches and runs.

As the game went on, I thought it was pretty even really, with Portsmouth looking very dangerous on the attack, but us always responding well up the other end, having a go ourselves, without really getting too many clear cut chances.

In the second half, we started well, and were getting a lot of good balls accross the face of goal. I think it was Gorkks who headed one cross from Walker at goal, but was saved. Was a very good chance, but he couldnt get enough power or direction on it. Another good ball came across goal and Hulse looked certain to score but he couldnt get enough on it. Id like to see it again, but I dont think it was as easy as it seemed, as it was a 50-50 challenge from what i rememeber. He does look short of confidence though, but i feel that when he gets a goal, his confidence will be back.

We were pretty much on top now, and I was confident of nicking a goal, with the chances we were creating. Smith was excellent, and was creating a lot for us.

From what I could see, we could have no complaints about the portsmouth penalty or sending off. Conolly held him back, and it was an easy decision to send him off. The save from Kenny was fantastic, and I was absoloutely gutted to see them retake it and score. It was unbelievable. When the goal went on, I just assumed it was game over, with not much time left on the clock.

However, it was very similar to the Reading game, where we were still playing some great football and didnt look like the team with 10 men. We were still creating chances and playing well, but I think some of us had conceded our first defeat was coming, with such little time left. When Smith tried to cross the ball in, it hit Lawrence and when away for a corner - so i thought! I couldnt beleive what a crap decision it was, that we had a penalty, but was very happy! It looked a genuine block to me, so id like to see it again, but a penalty was no more than we deserved after playing well and having their penalty retaken after the save.

The celebrations were almost as if we have been promoted, and the fans were brilliant throughout the whole game. The effort and never give up attitude was brilliant from the players, and it would have been very hard on the players to have lost.

I am just concerned about the next few games without connolly and orr, and maybe Derry soon if he gets suspended but what can you do?

- Kenny - made an excellent save for the first penalty, and must have been gutted it was retaken

- Hill - Solid as always, put in 100% effort and played well

- Connolly - was winning everything in the air along with gorkks, against to very big forwards. Deserved to be sent off, but played very well

Gorkks - very dominant in the air, maybe could have scored

Walker - struggled for the first 10 - 15 minutes, then was oustanding for the rest of the game. He is a different class, quality!

Smith - was brilliant for the whole game, and took the penalty well!

Derry - solid as ever, but didnt get into the game as much as usual. No idea why he was booked

Faurlin - played a few nice passes, but not to his best- Solid however!

Adel - Quiet second half, but was quality for the first 20 - 30 minutes,

Mackie - worked very hard, played well particularly second half

Hulse - Lacking confidence in front of goal, but hopefully will get back to his best.

subs - Agyemang - looked decent when he came on, played well

- Borrowdale - looked solid and steady enough

- Clarke - didnt have much time, but looked a bit slow to react to me.

That sums it on absolutely spot on, apart from the pen decision against Pompey, I thought it hit Lawrence on the arm but will need to see it again.
    Opinions are like A******s, everyone has one, but nobody wants to see the other guy's.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    https://twitter.com/#!/QPRBOB

Comment

Thank you for the update,Dando!!
      QPR
      Best team in the world
      Sort of

Comment

Cheers Jill good read mate.
        I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

Cheers mate enjoyed reading that.

Comment

I dont understand Cotterils comments about them deserving to win. Im an honest fan, and when we dont deserve anything, il always say. On this occasion, we matched them, if not edged it, even with 10 men. They looked very dangerous dont get me wrong, but if they didnt have Utaka, they were no threat at all. We put a lot of dangerous balls in the box, and could have easily got 1 or 2 more. Id say a point was fair, whether we should have had a penalty or not

Comment

Again I agree, a point was a fair result. Talking to some Pompey fans on the trip back over the water, they though pretty much the same.
              Opinions are like A******s, everyone has one, but nobody wants to see the other guy's.
              -----------------------------------------------------------------
              https://twitter.com/#!/QPRBOB

Comment

Working...
              X