Why Clarke 8 and Mackie 12?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Clarke 8 and Mackie 12?

There seems to be a few traditionalists on here who can't understand why player X has this number or player Y has that number. So I ask why do you believe Clarke has got 8 and Mackie got 12? Traditionally numbers 1-11 are given to players who will be in the starting 11 and number 8 is usually a centre midfielder. Gerrard has the number 8 shirt for Liverpool and Lampard has the number 8 shirt for Chelsea. So why have we given it to a centre forward? Why has one striker been given a number between 1-11 but another has been given 12? Do you or we expect Clarke to start and Mackie not to?

Neither Chelsea nor Liverpool currently have a number 7 in their squad but Michael Owen has been given it at Manchester United - a player unlikely to start and not a right winger which traditionally the shirt is worn by - but he is a striker nonetheless. Therefore why do you believe Mackie will wear 12 instead of either number 7 or number 8? After all he signed before Clarke so shouldn't he have first pick? If Manchester United and even Barcelona have a striker occupying the number 7 shirt than why can't we or is that Mackie isn't deemed a striker but surely he is more likely to start and should wear a number between 1-11 and not 12?

Some people believe the numbers players wear have more significance than I do but considering number 7 is still available do we believe the players have chosen the numbers they will wear next season? Or have the been given these numbers? Or as some might suggest are certain numbers being held onto for new signings. We'd assume Orr will get the number 2 shirt which is why Ramage no longer will wear the number 2 shirt but why has Clarke got the 8 shirt and Mackie not? Unless the person who has given them the number feels that Mackie is not worthy of a shirt in the first 11 numbers?

If we don't sign a number 7 between now and the start of the season then someone from outside of the core numbers will have to start anyway. David James was given the number 1 shirt in South Africa but didn't start against USA. Stephen Ireland has been given the 7 shirt but is likely to be sold or not even selected as part of City's 25 man squad.After all do we really expect Kaboul, Bentley and Hutton to start ahead of King, Corluka and Modric just because they've been given shirts between 1-11 or will Diaby play right back and Sagna left back because they've been given the numbers 2&3? Or will Cahill, Pienaar and Neville not start because none of them have a shirt between 1-11. Does James Beattie expect to start because he's been given the 9 shirt again or they'll start without a goalkeeper, their captain and a right back because none of them have numbers between 1-11? Or am I talking jibberish?

Sorry Sirpie but I think your becoming rather anal.

Most people realise that this is not the 1980's and 1-11 means bug ger all these days.

Please just drop it because its not the most exciting debate, just my opinion.
    I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreQPR12 View Post
      Sorry Sirpie but I think your becoming rather anal.

Most people realise that this is not the 1980's and 1-11 means ****** all these days.

Please just drop it because its not the most exciting debate, just my opinion.
      If you read the thread I said that I don't consider it to be important but there are some on here who seriously believe because a player has been given the number 9 shirt it means we are doomed.

I realise its 2010 unfortunately not everyone on here does.

Comment

i dont think henderson should get number 99 let alone the prized 9. he had his chance and blew it tremendously.

Comment

Originally posted by sirpiechucker View Post
          There seems to be a few traditionalists on here who can't understand why player X has this number or player Y has that number. So I ask why do you believe Clarke has got 8 and Mackie got 12? Traditionally numbers 1-11 are given to players who will be in the starting 11 and number 8 is usually a centre midfielder. Gerrard has the number 8 shirt for Liverpool and Lampard has the number 8 shirt for Chelsea. So why have we given it to a centre forward? Why has one striker been given a number between 1-11 but another has been given 12? Do you or we expect Clarke to start and Mackie not to?

Neither Chelsea nor Liverpool currently have a number 7 in their squad but Michael Owen has been given it at Manchester United - a player unlikely to start and not a right winger which traditionally the shirt is worn by - but he is a striker nonetheless. Therefore why do you believe Mackie will wear 12 instead of either number 7 or number 8? After all he signed before Clarke so shouldn't he have first pick? If Manchester United and even Barcelona have a striker occupying the number 7 shirt than why can't we or is that Mackie isn't deemed a striker but surely he is more likely to start and should wear a number between 1-11 and not 12?

Some people believe the numbers players wear have more significance than I do but considering number 7 is still available do we believe the players have chosen the numbers they will wear next season? Or have the been given these numbers? Or as some might suggest are certain numbers being held onto for new signings. We'd assume Orr will get the number 2 shirt which is why Ramage no longer will wear the number 2 shirt but why has Clarke got the 8 shirt and Mackie not? Unless the person who has given them the number feels that Mackie is not worthy of a shirt in the first 11 numbers?

If we don't sign a number 7 between now and the start of the season then someone from outside of the core numbers will have to start anyway. David James was given the number 1 shirt in South Africa but didn't start against USA. Stephen Ireland has been given the 7 shirt but is likely to be sold or not even selected as part of City's 25 man squad.After all do we really expect Kaboul, Bentley and Hutton to start ahead of King, Corluka and Modric just because they've been given shirts between 1-11 or will Diaby play right back and Sagna left back because they've been given the numbers 2&3? Or will Cahill, Pienaar and Neville not start because none of them have a shirt between 1-11. Does James Beattie expect to start because he's been given the 9 shirt again or they'll start without a goalkeeper, their captain and a right back because none of them have numbers between 1-11? Or am I talking jibberish?

No, you are talking sense. I dont think we should read to much into the squadnumbers handed out today.

To be honest I really cant see why this is an issue at all .
          QPR
          Best team in the world
          Sort of

Comment

Originally posted by G.T.P View Post
            i dont think henderson should get number 99 let alone the prized 9. he had his chance and blew it tremendously.
            It's a strange one in regards to Henderson as a number of posters seemed to think he was definitely coming. If he needs an operation that must have been picked up in any medical and therefore the seriousness of such an injury and how long they would be out for would also be apparent.

Comment

personally i don't think shirt numbers have meant anything since the names on the back of the shirt were introduced.

Comment

It's a strange one in regards to Henderson as a number of posters seemed to think he was definitely coming. If he needs an operation that must have been picked up in any medical and therefore the seriousness of such an injury and how long they would be out for would also be apparent.
                I think he meant Helguson
                RIP: Doug, Sniffer and Pat

Comment

Hoopers got 88 at celtic, i wouldnt moan if he wore that for us

Comment

Having read the offy it says Faurlin was "handed" the number 11 shirt and Warnock has "given" the players the numbers. If this is the case then I doubt Warnock would buy into the idea of leaving numbers available to see if it helped boost ST sales as has been suggested.

Comment

I just think it means that Clarke will start a lot of games.

Comment

Originally posted by DelTrotter View Post
                        Hoopers got 88 at celtic, i wouldnt moan if he wore that for us
                        Bendtner will wear 52 for Arsenal this season - last year he wore 26 which nobody is wearing this year and number 9 is available - even Chamakh has got 29 rather than 9. Further proof that numbers mean nothing and shouldn't be read into.

Comment

Originally posted by RussRanger View Post
                          I just think it means that Clarke will start a lot of games.
                          But Clichy won't because he's wearing 22?

Comment

Sirpie, the answer is no, your posts are generally very informative and intersting
                            I blew a lot on vodka and tonic, gambling and fags. Looking back, I think I overdid it on the tonic. - The one and only Stanley Bowles

Comment

Originally posted by Quaz View Post
                              personally i don't think shirt numbers have meant anything since the names on the back of the shirt were introduced.
                              Have a look at my reply. No need to copy it!!
                              QPR
                              Best team in the world
                              Sort of

Comment

Working...
                              X