Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know anything about the soldiers we lost during WW1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know anything about the soldiers we lost during WW1?

Going over to visit the battlefields and cemeteries from WW1 in Belgium and France soon.

First went many years ago.

Having looked through some old history books, it turns out we only had 3 that were then current players that died during WW1.

1. Lieutenant V. Thornton

2. J. Butler

3. J. Pennifer

There seems to me no record of these players and where they are buried on the Commonwealth War Graves website. There are '2' V Thorntons but they were not a Lieutentant.

There is our first England international Evelyn Lintott who died and is buried in Belgium, but he was playing for us 10 years beforehand.

Another then current player, Lieutenant D. Higgins suffered injuries so bad he was never able to play competitive football again.

Can anyone help me??????

If I can find where they are buried, I will try and make the effort to visit their graves.

I will certainly see where Lintott is buried. He is buried at the Thiepval Memorial at the Somme.

Cheers
    First game: Arsenal vs Queen's Park Rangers at Highbury, Saturday 17th November 1984.

when you going hamm....my ol' man involved in a lot of ww1 stuff(his grandad etc) and lays a wreath every year in a couple of towns in that region....pm me when your going and to where.
    PRIDE OF LONDON.

Comment

Why is this thread not in the Board Room ?

Comment

Originally posted by paulmason View Post
        Why is this thread not in the Board Room ?
        stop spamming the board....no need

Comment

moved into general chat soon
          ALL BEST BANTER AND ALL THE LATEST FROM QPR.
          THE WEST LONDON 90 MINUTE FOOTBALL SHOW EVERY MONDAY FROM 9.30PM http://mixlr.com/the90mfs/

Comment

Working...
          X