Unconfigured Ad Widget
Collapse
QPR Women | Season 26/27
Collapse
X
-
-
ROSS Bennett has been confirmed as the new QPR FC Women Head Coach.
Bennett, who had been in charge on an interim basis following the departure of Karl Watson, is looking forward to continuing his strong start in the role.
Under his guidance, the Women’s team have won all five of their fixtures without conceding a goal – including a 2-0 victory over Tier Three Fulham in the League Cup.
“I am super proud,” Bennett said. “The Women's team is actually the only team I haven't delivered with at the club.
“Hopefully I can do the club, myself and all the girls justice.”
Bennett joined QPR almost 13 years ago, initially as a Physical Performance Coach within the academy.
This also saw him take on a coaching role with our Under 16s for a two-year period.
He soon progressed to work with the Development Squad and First Team before taking on a Head of Integrated Performance role, which now sees him oversee all the academy performance structures.
Bennett will be continuing in that position while taking on this role within the Women’s set up.
“I've always had a love for coaching,” he said.
“I played the game as a kid and went through the academy structure at a rival down the road, so I know the game quite well. I was given the opportunity to coach here five years ago and loved it.
“I've always wanted to get back into coaching in some capacity, and I think the roles I've done in terms of leadership have definitely given me the skillset to lead a group of people, whether that be players or staff.
“So I’m super happy to be in this role now.”
The Women’s strong form in both league and cup competitions has seen them rise to second in FAWNL South East Division One, sitting just one point behind leaders London Bees.
“I'm really happy with how the girls have responded, not only the girls but the staff as well,” Bennett said.
“They've really bought into a few subtle changes we've made. We’re trying to create a really positive environment to let these girls flourish because we've got some talented people in the building.
“Since I've come in, I've loved every minute of it.”
The R’s will be looking to make it six wins from six this Sunday when we host Actonians at MATRADE Loftus Road in the FA Women’s National League Cup.
Bennett is looking forward to leading his team in W12 but knows they will face a tough test against the side who currently sit one place below us in the league standings.
“The last time we played Actonians, I was actually watching in the stands,” Bennett says.
The R’s suffered a 3-0 defeat that day, but Bennett believes his squad has what it takes to achieve a stronger result this weekend.
“We know the quality they've got and we know the rivalry we have with them but we're seeking to put in a good performance.
“All our focus is on being really prepared, not playing the occasion but enjoying the occasion, and hopefully putting on a good show.”
The fixture kicks off at 2pm this Sunday and entry is FREE for season ticket holders. Why not get along and show your support for our Women’s team as they aim for six wins in a row?👍 1Comment
-
Comment