Willock: Bargain deal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Willock: Bargain deal?

I cannot stop being surprised how much nonsense football journalists can come up with.

When a player is out of contract and can leave on a so-called free transfer, many journalists assume that it costs nothing to sign him, and that it is a bargain, where a player can be signed for much less than his market value. This is an example from today:

Sunderland should beat Norwich City to bargain QPR, Chris Willock deal (footballleagueworld.co.uk)

But there is hardly any free lunch in football. An attractive player in demand, who is out of contract, can cash in the transfer fee himself, instead of the club he departs. It is either done through a sign-on fee or through a higher salary than he would command if there was a transfer fee involved (or as a combination of the two).

Mbappe was out of contract and signed for Real Madrid on a free transfer. The sign-on fee he received was a reported €125m. Yes, Mbappe on a free transfer from PSG sounds like a bargain, but that is before you consider what the out-of-contract player wanted to sign on the dotted line. Willock won't be any different. Whether he will sign for Sunderland, Norwich or any other club, he will go on a free transfer, but the signing-on-fee and/or his new salary will reflect his true market value.

If Willock had a couple of years left of his contract he might have been worth £2-3m. He will cash in most of this amount himself when he chooses his next destination, probably as a combination of a £1m sign on fee and higher salary than he would otherwise could have got. Even if he stays at QPR, he will likely end up with a sign-on fee and a much better salary than today.

Personally, I assume he will go elsewhere, even though I think Marti would be his safest choice, at least for the short term. However, Willock knows that managers come and go all the time, and if you sign a three or four year contract, you cannot assume you will play under the same manager all the time. It is more likely you will not. Hence, I think money talks and that he ends up elsewhere. Willock has been so inconsistent, even under Marti, that I am not very worried if we lose him.

All true. BUT it is still open to us to decide that instead of spending £2m on a Willock replacement and giving them a three-year contract worth £3m over its term, we could just give Willock a three-year contract worth £5m. Its the same outlay but we would be paying Willock £12K per week more than his replacement.

These figures are merely illustrative, I have no idea of the real numbers. However, the fundamental point remains valid: spend money buying a new player or give that money to Willock on top of our "standard pay package".

I realise there is a difference between how wages and transfer fees are accounted for year-on-year but again, the fundamental principle still applies.

So, I don't think it's a given that Willock leaving is automatically a better financial deal for him - we COULD potentially match say, Sunderland's remuneration package if we WANT to. But, if we feel we can replace Willock "on the cheap" or even from within, we may decide it's not worth the outlay and wave him goodbye.

Have to say, I think Willock mainly pulled his finger out in 2024 to woo potential buyers. I feel once he's secured a juicy fat contract he'd be highly likely to put his feet up and light his cigar for months on end, occasionally turning in a shift to give his employers hope that he might eventually come good on a regular basis. This might be a grossly unfair view of him, but what can I say, that's how I view his whole time here - I'm not getting swayed by the glimpses, flashes, bursts and periods where he looked a top player and class act.

Comment

Willock nursed himself through the season because there was a big pay day coming. With a 3yr deal signed his performances will be better.

Comment

Willock turned in some great match winning performance's when he came through the door .
        Then downed tools for reason's only known to him. Picked up again towards the end of last season.
        Such a frustrating.player .
        Players move on that's football , I think he lacks heart and stamina at times and does the minimum.

Comment

It's no shock that Marti went straight to Willock and brought him back into the starting 11. I think he's been the best player since Marti came in and the new manager has backed flair over work horses. It's a shame he will be leaving because clearly our manager definitely doesn't want to lose him. Thank you for massively helping the club stay in the championship and tbh he deserves a top 6 championship side or lower end premier league club
          I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

Originally posted by 72bus View Post
            Willock turned in some great match winning performance's when he came through the door .
            Then downed tools for reason's only known to him. Picked up again towards the end of last season.
            Such a frustrating.player .
            Players move on that's football , I think he lacks heart and stamina at times and does the minimum.
            Any of us would of been naffed of the way Ainsworth treated him

we may offer him a better deal if Walsh becomes new number 1 Albert gone funds available to get him to commit I think we will up chairs deal 1st tbh though

Comment

Shaggy spot on regarding Ainsworth.

Comment

Ainsworth seems like a decent man , I'd say willock definitely had his part to play in whatever went on .
                But u can't just down tools when things are not going your way .
                I admit we had flash's of the old Chris toward the end of last season.

Comment

Ainsworth seems like a decent man , I'd say willock definitely had his part to play in whatever went on .
                  I always played to.my best whoever the manager was. If I didn't my team mates would give me all the feedback needed.....amatuer level. Willock had blown too hot and cold for me and no point having him on a three year deal if Marti will leave after next season.

Modern day pro ballers eh.......!!!!

Comment

Fully disagree. Look you come across like a decent bloke too but that's no attribute for a manager. Ainsworth in reality had no clue and the results proved that. If you upset your most flair player you have to start getting ready for heading to the job centre. His ignorance not to change things was blindly obvious. Kevin Gallen who's a good mate of Gareths was crying out for him to start playing our better players. Under Marti Willock is our best attacker player who is a match winner. He will go to a bigger club which will tell you all you really need to know bus.

Comment

I think Chair is our best attacking player, not Willock. It could be that Willock has a higher top level, but due to his inconsistency, he ranks behind Chair. Even Andersen might be a better attacking player than Willock due to same matter of consistency.

However, if Willock can unlock his full potensial I don’t deny that he can become the best player in the Championship. He needs the right manager, the right team and probably the right mindset.

Comment

Last few seasons great moments from Willock. Match winner on his day. I think he's looking for final pay day with "bigger" Championship club. No problem with this, happens. Rip plaster off say goodbye. I wouldn't give him another contract..

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreQPR12 View Post

Fully disagree. Look you come across like a decent bloke too but that's no attribute for a manager. Ainsworth in reality had no clue and the results proved that. If you upset your most flair player you have to start getting ready for heading to the job centre. His ignorance not to change things was blindly obvious. Kevin Gallen who's a good mate of Gareths was crying out for him to start playing our better players. Under Marti Willock is our best attacker player who is a match winner. He will go to a bigger club which will tell you all you really need to know bus.
                          And under Critchley.......? Was that Gareths fault too?

Comment

Why does talking about 2 poor managers mean that it's willocks fault for not performing? Marti has been a breath of fresh air not only for us fans but also for the players. It wasn't just Willock that massively improved, Marti even turned dunne into cafu as an expetional right back.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreQPR12 View Post
                              Why does talking about 2 poor managers mean that it's willocks fault for not performing? Marti has been a breath of fresh air not only for us fans but also for the players. It wasn't just Willock that massively improved, Marti even turned dunne into cafu as an expetional right back.
                              Because if we sign Willock on a three year deal and Marti moves on in a years time then history tells us he might throw moody again and down tools if he doesnt fancy his replacement. We don't have the budget to carry players who might not always give 100%.

Comment

Working...
                              X