New CEO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by djp View Post

I am definitely being cautious like yourself. Actions speak louder than words and all that! I remember someone saying something similar about 5-6 years ago, how from first team all the way down to the youngest junior teams would play with the same style and philosophy. Don’t remember who it was, was probably LF or Hoos but looking at where we find ourselves now, it was all talk back then.
    If the club changes style and philosophy with each new manager coming through the door - four during the last 15 months - it is impossible for the youngest to adapt. Hence, it never happened. We have been a manager-led club far too long. The aim to anchor the philosophy in the club is 10 years too late, but great if it happens.

I honestly think Les and Hood had a decent plan. They problem was that they never followed it. Les has admitted that this was his biggest failure. This wasn't just about defining and implementing a philosophy and style of play. It was also connected to the recruitment. The idea was to identify and sign young talented prospect, develop them and sell for a profit. Everyone understands that that there needs to be a few seasoned pros in the squad, and not just youngsters, so spending 20% of the acquisition/salary budget on "veterans" would be ok. But Les and Hoos turned it around, spending 80% on the veterans, like Austin, Gray, Johansen and Hendricks in the 21/22 season. That was the start of the serious financial problems we now face.

Nourry speaks a good game. But I agree that talk is cheap. It is much harder to deliver on it than to talk about it. Lets hope Nourry is better than his predecessors when it comes to implementation and following the plan. We have been let down so many times it is fair to be sceptical.

Comment

Originally posted by QPROslo View Post

If the club changes style and philosophy with each new manager coming through the door - four during the last 15 months - it is impossible for the youngest to adapt. Hence, it never happened. We have been a manager-led club far too long. The aim to anchor the philosophy in the club is 10 years too late, but great if it happens.

I honestly think Les and Hood had a decent plan. They problem was that they never followed it. Les has admitted that this was his biggest failure. This wasn't just about defining and implementing a philosophy and style of play. It was also connected to the recruitment. The idea was to identify and sign young talented prospect, develop them and sell for a profit. Everyone understands that that there needs to be a few seasoned pros in the squad, and not just youngsters, so spending 20% of the acquisition/salary budget on "veterans" would be ok. But Les and Hoos turned it around, spending 80% on the veterans, like Austin, Gray, Johansen and Hendricks in the 21/22 season. That was the start of the serious financial problems we now face.

Nourry speaks a good game. But I agree that talk is cheap. It is much harder to deliver on it than to talk about it. Let’s hope Nourry is better than his predecessors when it comes to implementation and following the plan. We have been let down so many times it is fair to be sceptical.
      Agree Oslo, he definitely speaks a good game, would be wonderful if he sticks with the plan. And couldn’t agree more, the 21/22 season deviating from this was a disaster. Let’s hope the similar signing we have made last summer (Cook, Colback, Begovic, Fox) come good for 2024 and don’t follow that same pattern as that previous batch. Because relegation will no doubt set the long plan back another couple of seasons.

Comment

Working...
      X