Expiring contracts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expiring contracts

Could this be our problem? Most of our players look disinterested. Apart from the individual talent which I am sure most have (we did played some good games after all) however, the committment is not there. Many of the out of contract players know pretty well that they will not be retained, so why the effort? The club made a mess in building this squad. Two players on 18k a week which they rarely play. Experienced players over the 34 year age brackets on 2 year deals and most of the time injured! I mean, it is the people responsible for building this squad that are to blame. When in the past we had astute people taking the decisions, we succeeded. The same can be said for the likes of Brentford, Brighton and others. And there are many examples of the other way where clubs fell behind. Hope the R' s will not continue to fell even deeper and join the latter!

I know he wasn’t involved in the signings we made in the previous window but I still fully blame Les Ferdinand for this, he is the one who built the majority of this squad, wasted so much money on players like Bonne, Dickie, Dykes, Dozzell. All of whom we have wasted big fees and will get lots less or nothing back for. Yet he hides behind the fact that he reduced wages by 20% when he came in, honestly does he think we are stupid, even Paul Merson would have been able to cut a wage bill that contained players like Caulker, Fer, Sandro, Barton.

Comment

Unless I'm mistaken, Dozzell, Bonne and Dykes all cost more than that Gyorkes Coventry bought. Thing is, my Ipswich mate said Dozzell was crap. So what's the plan? Sign them and hope they suddenly play well for us? Terrible recruitment for so long.

Comment

What has really bugged me is why we havent got someone to head up the footballing side of the club, and why is Lee Hoos basically in charge of everything?

Surely he should just focus on being the CEO and Chairman, not being the de-facto DOF?

Comment

I don't think there was anything materially wrong with the signings of Bonne, Dickie, Dykes and Dozzell. All seemed like reasonable acquisitions for a club of our means. Very easy to rubbish them with the benefit of hindsight though.
          Club requires a clear out from top to bottom - it's impossible for any manager to get anything out of this corpse of a set-up.

Comment

Originally posted by Abseits View Post
            I don't think there was anything materially wrong with the signings of Bonne, Dickie, Dykes and Dozzell. All seemed like reasonable acquisitions for a club of our means. Very easy to rubbish them with the benefit of hindsight though.
            Club requires a clear out from top to bottom - it's impossible for any manager to get anything out of this corpse of a set-up.
            Well we bought dykes for 2 million and his goalscoring record in a pi ss poor league was bang average. The dozzell signing was another one where a lad in league one was average at best and not one of their better players yet we spunked a load of money on a guy who just can't handle this league.

Dickie I grant you looked shrewd business for 18 months then he had a mare at bmouth away and never recovered. Bonne was a gamble which backfired massively. So in general our scouting has been crap and its still crap. So at least we are consistent!!

Comment

Just watching some Polish league football. Their league is ranked 20th in Europe by UEFA, yet some of their players look pretty good. We should start looking outside the box, not just players everyone has heard of already, which was mostly the case in the last window.

Comment

Looking at player contracts would just let most leave who are out of contract at end of season. Exceptions would be:

Field but fully expect him to sign with a better championship side.
                EDB if we are in L1 and maybe if in CH depending how he does over next few months.
                Possibly Walsh if we are in L1 to battle for number 1 shirt with Mahoney.

Wouldn't bother extending Dunne as been pretty awful last season and this and Willock (who I expect to move on anyway) would need to show over next few months worth keeping. Three good games in over a year now not enough to justify him being here. Either injured or on poor form. Shame as fantastic ability.

Comment

Originally posted by FurtiveFox View Post
                  Looking at player contracts would just let most leave who are out of contract at end of season. Exceptions would be:

Field but fully expect him to sign with a better championship side.
                  EDB if we are in L1 and maybe if in CH depending how he does over next few months.
                  Possibly Walsh if we are in L1 to battle for number 1 shirt with Mahoney.

Wouldn't bother extending Dunne as been pretty awful last season and this and Willock (who I expect to move on anyway) would need to show over next few months worth keeping. Three good games in over a year now not enough to justify him being here. Either injured or on poor form. Shame as fantastic ability.
                  Pretty much agree, not sure about EDB. Likely to be dropped when Colback returns. He needs to get in front of Dozzell.

If we do go down, we have to be brutal, including development squad.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoopsah View Post
                    Just watching some Polish league football. Their league is ranked 20th in Europe by UEFA, yet some of their players look pretty good. We should start looking outside the box, not just players everyone has heard of already, which was mostly the case in the last window.
                    I'm not sure of the post-Brexit visa and work permit situation but I'm fairly sure it's far more difficult to sign EU players now. I'd guess they'd have to pass the test non-European players do ie have some sort of international pedigree.

Comment

Originally posted by Abseits View Post

I'm not sure of the post-Brexit visa and work permit situation but I'm fairly sure it's far more difficult to sign EU players now. I'd guess they'd have to pass the test non-European players do ie have some sort of international pedigree.
                      Yes......like our Polish U21 international Adam Czerkas!

Comment

Working...
                      X