Cauley Woodrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cauley Woodrow

May be sent out on loan in January not sure how good is he but recall he always scored against for Barnsley , would he make a difference to our goals scored which is poor.

Originally posted by Sneezey View Post
    May be sent out on loan in January not sure how good is he but recall he always scored against for Barnsley , would he make a difference to our goals scored which is poor.
    If its true hes been sent out on loan, then I'd definitely take him.

Comment

We don't need another striker. We need to sort our set-up out. Playing Dykes (or anyone) on their own up front without any support or supply is clearly going to be fruitless.

Dykes literally had two CBs virtually sitting on him permanently. Several times, such was the lack of support from our midfielders breaking forward, Rotherham actually had so many spare defensive players due to our plodding approach, they were able to get a third defender parked on Dykes. When Armstrong replaced Dykes, nothing changed whatsoever.

Things perked up a bit the last 10 minutes with the game getting stretched but ultimately we just didn't create threatening chances.... It's not like Dykes is fluffing and missing sitters after getting put in or set-up, the poor bloke is feeding off scraps yet still showing remarkable patience and perseverance in sticking to the task of bustling about and butting heads with CBs in an effort to create space and angles.

Team needs to gel better and move through the thirds far far quicker than currently. To me it's a tactical/organisational problem; not a personnel problem.

Comment

Been saying it for years Dykes is crap.
        Runs around a lot and tries hard but no composure poor positional sense. Never going to score more than 10 goals a season , may be ok as a sub for last 30 mins when you are pushing for an equaliser but not a starter. Woodrow isn't bad but not sure about injury record. We desperately need a striker to start for us . One that is good with his back to goal and can pass and move. Saying that he is no good on his own and needs help is pointless because the team is going to be set up by MC with just one striker to benefit our flair players . Most teams play with a lone striker nowadays and it's proven Dykes is no good at that.

Comment

Warburton often played with one striker and we were scoring for fun for long periods. It was often Dykes as the loan striker.

If we rediscovered Warburton's attacking style, with a fluid four, made up of Willock, Chair and one other player behind Dykes, there is no reason we cannot start finding the net much more frequently.

However, nobody can deny that we are very short upfront. But the money isn't there to strengthen before next summer, unless we manage to sell Chair or Field for a decent price in January, or Palace selling Eze, so it is about getting most out of what we have.

Comment

We don't move the ball quickly enough forward with any intent , the supply to dykes is near non existent.
            All this sideways and back passing just let's the opposition get into their shape.
            It's been said so many times dykes is not good enough , loses most flick on's , no natural instinct for goal , terrible 1st touch ... Can't knock him for effort but that only gets so far .

Comment

Dykes more often needs to make himself available for a pass because In many matches he is way too stationary. I would say Richards, Chair and Willock seem to be a better option upfront, given Richards actually bother to get him self fit and available for selection that is. Kelman, Bala(?) and Armstrong are options from the bench, but not automatic starters at this stage of the season, imo.
              QPR
              Best team in the world
              Sort of

Comment

Originally posted by 72bus View Post
                We don't move the ball quickly enough forward with any intent , the supply to dykes is near non existent.
                All this sideways and back passing just let's the opposition get into their shape.
                It's been said so many times dykes is not good enough , loses most flick on's , no natural instinct for goal , terrible 1st touch ... Can't knock him for effort but that only gets so far .
                Under Ainsworth we moved the ball quickly forward. We were probably moving the ball quicker forward than any other team in the division. Begovic was an expert at it- with long kicks, looking to find the strikers (admittedly, more often he found the ball boys, but it was as quick forward as possible). All defenders were asked to do the same, smashing the ball up to Dykes and Armstrong. It did not lead to much. It was the most dire football ever seen at LR and results were catastrophic. For my taste, it was "too quick forward".

Now we have a manager with a very different philosophy - more the QPR way known from some our our better managers (Jago, Stock, Sexton, Francis to a varying degree from back in time and Warburton and Beale from recent years). I suggest we give Marti more than one match to see if he can coach us in a way that moves the ball quickly forward into dangerous positions for Dykes, but not just forward for the sake of it, but in smart ways, opening up the defence of the opposition. It will certainly not be equally quick as Ainsworth, but hopefully much more effective.

I agree Dykes probably isn't a top half Championship striker, but a good manager will be able to get more out of him than those managers we have had in recent twelve months . Under Warburton, he scored frequently during a couple of spells and I hope Marti can help him rediscover that form through the way we will play.

We have to do with what we have this season and we are dependent on present strikers finding form under Marti (unless we sell Chair/Field in January to fund reinforcements).

Comment

Originally posted by QPROslo View Post

Under Ainsworth we moved the ball quickly forward. We were probably moving the ball quicker forward than any other team in the division. Begovic was an expert at it- with long kicks, looking to find the strikers (admittedly, more often he found the ball boys, but it was as quick forward as possible). All defenders were asked to do the same, smashing the ball up to Dykes and Armstrong. It did not lead to much. It was the most dire football ever seen at LR and results were catastrophic. For my taste, it was "too quick forward".

Now we have a manager with a very different philosophy - more the QPR way known from some our our better managers (Jago, Stock, Sexton, Francis to a varying degree from back in time and Warburton and Beale from recent years). I suggest we give Marti more than one match to see if he can coach us in a way that moves the ball quickly forward into dangerous positions for Dykes, but not just forward for the sake of it, but in smart ways, opening up the defence of the opposition. It will certainly not be equally quick as Ainsworth, but hopefully much more effective.

I agree Dykes probably isn't a top half Championship striker, but a good manager will be able to get more out of him than those managers we have had in recent twelve months . Under Warburton, he scored frequently during a couple of spells and I hope Marti can help him rediscover that form through the way we will play.

We have to do with what we have this season and we are dependent on present strikers finding form under Marti (unless we sell Chair/Field in January to fund reinforcements).
                  I probably didn't explain myself very well . When I say moving it quickly forward with intent I mean pass and move .
                  I'm not talking about the keeper or defence pumping aimless balls up to dykes , that's not the football I want to watch

Comment

Working...
                  X