Style of Play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Style of Play

Firstly, we're going backwards. We are hoof upfield, apply pressure, hope something happens team. We're not very good at it and outdated system. Couple of weeks ago, I read article in Times explaining how L1 and L2 teams are modelling their play on Pep Guardiola. Many managers in L1 and L2 have coached youth football in premier league academies, possesion based football. All inspired by it, developing their own versions of it. New stadiums in L1 and L2, pitches better, groundstaff improved. No "more sand than grass pitches". You can pass and move ball on ground.

Reporter gave two examples, Bolton keeper in L1 plays 67% of his passes short distances. Our very own Murphy-Mahoney at Swindon plays 63% of his passes short distances, highest in L2. Best I could work out, we're around 49% passes being short distance. If, more likely when, we go down, we'll still look poor against plenty of teams down there.

Secondly, watched highlights of QPR U21 vs Ipswich U21. QPR goal, Ipswich tried playing out from back. Big mistake, lead to goal. Impressed Ipswich youth team play out from back. Clearly playing same system as 1st Team. Far better for players to make their mistakes in youth football, learn from them.

My view, we need

1. Directors decide how we setup, 4 4 3 or 5 3 2 or 4 4 2. Sign players who'll fit system. Any new manager agrees to play "our" system. Little point employing new manager who wants to radically change system, requiring 5-6 new players. We can't afford that.

2. All teams play same system, develop players who can step into first team, used to playing "our" way.

3. New manager who'll play out from back.

We played out from the back under Warbs and conceded countless goals from it. Its okay if you have players at the back and in midfield who are comfortable taking a ball that deep whilst under pressure from the opposition.

As much as posters hate this style there were just as many completely bored of possession for the sake of it without getting the ball forward. We'd all like slick speedy football but the Board have assembled a very cheap squad.

Things cant get much worse and anything that can change our fortunes must be tried. Im not sure we have the personnel to get close to Warb's style let alone Pep's
    Last edited by SheepRanger; 26-10-2023, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Thing is when we play out from the back we play it straight back regardless who our manager is.
      Play it out and pass and move ... Forward , not sideways and backwards

Comment

Blackburn destroyed us. Their team had one player who'd made two Premier League Appearances. Sigurdsson played Russian Premier League.

On paper, team and squad similar quality.

Worrying me, L1 and L2 clubs coached better.

"Pass straight back", generally agree. Players lack confidence to hold ball, look up. Hot Potato, get rid of it.

Comment

One thing is style of play - what is more alarming is that there seems to be no game plan…. Oohhh against WBA the plan was to get a 0-0 without having a shot on target …..
          But I took a flight from Denmark to watch the game against Blackburn live (depressing!). what I noticed was that when Blackburn scored the first goal a player went straight to the sideline and got instructions on paper which was passed around to other players - the same happen after the second goal…. and what happen from QPR bench? Absolutely nothing except GA looking getting a more resigned attitude… that clearly showed that he’s got no plan if we get behind and as that happens in all games… players don’t know what to do and are clearly getting just as resigned in attitude.

Comment

Ainsworth must of played under enough managers to learn his trade .
            l suppose u take a bit of each of them and adapt it to a way u want your team to play.
            I think this squad is shot , they don't believe in themselves or eachother and are going out knowing they are going to lose.
            Can u image ainsworth team talk tomorrow , telling Ossie kakay to mark Jamie vardy .. and trying to keep a straight face .

Comment

I get his hands are tied somewhat but when you have arguably your best player sitting idle on the bench every game you're doing something very wrong.

Before people say Willock is 'lazy' & 'not interested' etc ask yourself this... Why would he not be? He's got a manager who I believe the players don't trust to get them out of trouble, isn't cut out for this job or level, who plays crap football and doesn't pick the right teams or make the right substitutions.

Regardless of what's gone on between them or whatever it is, Ainsworth needs to get him playing. We NEED all the help we can get and on his day as we saw last season he can be one of the best in the division.

Comment

Working...
              X