X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sir Bobby Charlton

RIP a footballing legend who was a national hero
    I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Proper legend RIP

Comment

Absolute legend,what a shame. RIP

Comment

Could this fella hit a ball .... RIP SIR Bobby

Comment

England legend and seemed a lovely guy too.

RIP

Comment

RIP Sir Bobby, proper footballer.
            Minds Are Like Parachutes.
            Work Best When Open...
            @Nowt2SeeHere

Comment

Sir Bobby Charlton RIP Sir. A diamond of a player.

Charlton, born in Ashington, Northumberland, joined United as an apprentice in 1953 and made his first-team debut three years later, though it was not until the first half of 1957 that he became a regular.

He scored twice in the 3-3 draw at Red Star Belgrade in February 1958 from which United were travelling back when disaster struck in Munich. Charlton, then aged 20, suffered relatively minor wounds in the accident, which claimed the lives of 23 people, including eight of the Busby Babes, and he was back playing within a month.

Charlton won a First Division title in 1957 and secured two more, in 1965 and 1967, together with an FA Cup in 1963. The highlight of his club career came in 1968 when he captained United to a European Cup final victory over Benfica in which he scored twice.

After leaving United in May 1973, Charlton managed and played for Preston North End and had a spell with Waterford United in Ireland. He was later a director and caretaker manager at Wigan Athletic. Manchester United made him a director in 1984 and announced in February 2016 that they were naming their South Stand after him.

In November 2020 it was announced by Charlton’s wife, Lady Norma Charlton, that he had been diagnosed with dementia. He celebrated his 86th birthday 10 days ago, on 11 October.

Comment

Possibly the first football player I ever heard of. RIP Bobby Charlton.

Comment

God Bless Him and Big Jack. Legends of the game

Comment

Working...
                  X