Avoid the doom spiral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avoid the doom spiral

I'm really surprised the club haven't been decisive when I don't think a change has been more obviously needed.

Before people jump on me about the club having no money, can't buy the contract out etc, from the last few decades of our history we also know there's a load of lost revenue. For example, I'm not sure I will make the journey across town to see the current dross. And I won't take my family, So there's more empty seats. Under our current form I won't be taking my Nephews or any family friends - most seasons I will buy 20+ extra tickets for games, on top of the 4 I have for every home game.

My biggest worry is there are generations of new supporters we lose and I've been surprised the current attendances have been so decent. Taking my Nephews as examples, they live miles from the ground and kind of had other teams. But I've taken them to games over the years and now it's their club, they wear the kit and are old enough to accept the grief they get at school for being the only Rs.

They have sat there through a few games last season and this, but until there's a change and some entertaining football and some goals, it's not fair to drag them to that, and I doubt they want to go anyway. The vibe is bad, nothing but angriness and when there's not even a few goals or some decent chances, there's better options for them.

I don't think any of us expect too much. A bit of hope for the odd goal and win, some belief we can still avoid the drop, and some signs that next season will be a bit better. And there's no way I'm getting on the owners back. We know where that gets us.

Fingers crossed there's some good advice, a decision made on facts rather than emotions and we can take things forward as a club. Time for calm heads and good decisions.

You cant ignore the money side as the breach will cost us.

If Leeds come back in Jan with their £6m Chair bid then changes could include the manager. Apart from that any move right now would be a financial gamble that could make future seasons much worse than this one. If GA still has the players on board we need to reassess the situation in Jan.

We cant make assumptions on future attendances or transfers in my opinion.

Comment

While match revenue isn't insignificant, it isn't so big in the grand scheme of things. And surprisingly, the difference from one season to the next is very small. 5% increase/reduction in match day revenue is £250-300k. To sack Ainsworth, replacing him with a new manager, is probably costing more than that. Hence, I would not use the match day revenue as the most important argument for a change.

What is more concerning is the value development of players when we perform badly. Last season, the drop in value of players such as Willock, Dickie, Dieng, Dykes etc could be measured in millions. This is the biggest argument for a change, next to the cost of relegation.

My biggest concern with Ainsworth and his style of play is that we will not attract talented young players that see us as a step stone to the PL. We would probably not have attracted a Eze type young player today, but we would under Warburton, Beale and Critchley. The value of this cannot be measured, but could potentially be enormous.

Likewise, we will struggle to attract good loan candidates. A couple of good young strikers could have made a big difference this season, but there are no PL managers that will send their talented youngsters to Ainsworth. While loans is a double edged sword, and has it clear draw backs, it is also a fact that good use of the loan market has been a successful strategy for many cash strapped Championship clubs. This avenue is almost blocked under Ainsworth. This is potentially costly to us.

From a financial point of view, Ainsworth is an exceptional poor decision. There is a reason no other Championship clubs have been seriously considering him. The cost of appointing Ainsworth is impossible to measure but I am afraid it will run up to a huge amount. However, there might be a silver lining in there., as it might make the owners realise they might not have what it takes to run a football club.

I personally think the present owners would like to appoint a DOF before they change manager. And I think it makes sense, as the owners are now completely aware they are not qualified to choose our next manager. They need to leave such an important decision to someone that is very competent. They listened to the fans (or a large fraction of the fan base) when appointing Ainsworth, and fans are equally bad qualified as our owners.

Comment

100% agree QPROslo! You are right that it’s probably the biggest concern and can’t see us doing well developing or attracting any talent atm.

Also makes sense on the DoF appointment first, really hope they get a shake on and it falls into place soon. This season still isn’t lost and can be turned around quickly.

Comment

Isn't a football fan about following your team thru thick and thin .
          Ok the football is rubbish but one day it will turn .
          If u only come when we are successful and winning what does that say about us as men
          Get behind the team thru the hard times

Comment

It seems to be a regretful fact that a wealthy and competent board are a major factor these days though l think that the players and manager are culpable as well without new quality talent coming in it’s going to be a tough season. Really no point in changing GA unless you change half the squad as well.
            New blood required all round. Except in the stands of course!!!
            Stick in there chaps

Comment

Working...
            X