Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pathetic result

Comment

It's no more than a training kick about.
      No one wants to get injured or bust a gut .
      Pretty pointless from a fans point of view as score doesn't really matter.

Comment

I agree with you to a point, but to not score more than 1 goal is just poor.

Comment

True would of expected us to win against a div 2 team

Comment

Originally posted by 72bus View Post
            True would of expected us to win against a div 2 team
            I'm struggling to understand why you'd expect that? Leaving aside it was an irrelevant friendly, think about our cup games against lower division clubs... we invariably don't win. Haven't Charlton and Fleetwood beaten us recently and we needed pens to get past Os and that's just recent games without digging up the numerous other debacles from past 40yrs.

Comment

Yes we've been abysmal in the cups , I've had to sit through a few of them .
              But I'd still expect us to beat the dons in a friendly.

Comment

Our squad depth once you get past 1st 11 is shite

Comment

Not even past the first 11. Kakay is crap at this level. So is dozzell. Gubbins couldn't get a game last year when we had the worst defence in the league. We need a new right back and a centre half. Plus a centre mid to play alongside field. Still 4 signings short.

Comment

Originally posted by shaggy24 View Post
                    Our squad depth once you get past 1st 11 is shite
                    Our squad including the 1st 11 is shite haha

Comment

Pros (even though it was against a L2 side):

Chair, Willock (and to a slightly lesser extent) and Richards were at their absolute best. Whether or not the first two are pining for a move or not is hard to say. Hopefully not, as as much as we need the money, we need them this season, especially as....

Gaz showed he can play another way that isn't hoofball. If we can translate some of how we were playing first half today to championship games, we might be fine.

Pedder looked great when he came on. Stood out massively.

begovic looked calm as anything and pulled off a good save, despite having virtually nothing to do.

Cons:

My god, we are finished if we get some injuries. This lot couldn't even compete with L2 substitute players. Need some signings, stat. Ideally we'd need around 8+ to provide decent cover, but, as we all know, that's not gonna happen for obvious reasons.

We posed zero attacking threat 2nd half and tbh should've been around 3-0 up first half, but just couldn't get the ball in the back of the net.

Overall, it was a game where no one wanted to get injured, which is ultimately meaningless and was played using a squad that may look different come the start of the season, but that second did not fill me with confidence.

Comment

Originally posted by QPROslo View Post

I agree. We did not play hoof ball. Some long balls from Gubbins and Dunne but it did not qualify as hoof ball in any way. There was some slick passing between Paal, Richards, Chair, Willock and Dozzell that was as good as you would ever see under Warburton and Beale. It put a smile on my face. I hope this is a sign of what to come - if so I will be happy to stand corrected over Ainsworths style of play.
                        That first half was the best ive seen Willock for a long time, hope this is a sign he is coming back to his old self again.

Comment

I dont think you can read too much into it as its a pre-season friendly, but I think it was a mixed bag really.

First Half - played some really good football, liked the direct passing play where we moved it quickly and stretched the opposition, thought Willock, Chair and Richards were good as well as Begovic - I think barring any injuries, they will end up being starters for the Watford game - Just need to be a little more clincial in front of goal imo.

Second Half - made some changes, which tbf disrupted our flow, a lot of youngsters, I thought Joe Walsh to be honest looked very poor, sort of reminded me of Dieng from last season, just really poor with his disruption, he threw the ball out of play once in that second half which was really frustrating, I think Peddler was the stand out from that half, definitely think he has potential.

Overall, its clear that Ainsworth has shown he dont just play hoofball and does want to mix it up a little, think we need a few more through the door just to give us those options, this is clear at CB and RB , im just concerned that if anyone gets injured then we are in deep trouble.

Comment

add to the CB and RB were bang in need of at least 1 more striker

Comment

Pedder looked better than dozzell which ain't hard

Kakay only just back from injury but a rb is a must

If Forino coming best be before season starts with 4 from 5 games away we need help

Chair willock dykes you know what they can do kelaman and sinclair as back ups along with albert is dire

Pleased for Richards think if he stays fit will be a big positive

Comment

Originally posted by Springboks2002 View Post
                                add to the CB and RB were bang in need of at least 1 more striker
                                Did see we are interested in Jay Stansfield on loan from Fulham which would be a good signing.

Comment

Working...
                                X