The Summer Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Summer Series

I guess most of you are aware of the above (July in USA). Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but if it proves a success, as it seems sure to do, do you fear that this might sew some seeds of thought about particularly the Premier league and it's future development. Not soon of course but gradually. Of course the European League was kicked out but money always speaks loudest in the end. Just a thought.......

In saying "gradually", I also believe that you mean that there is also a possibility of a select few ordinary Premier League fixtures taking place, say, in the US? There was a time when I would instantly shake my head in rebuttal of such a notion, but nothing surprises me anymore: goalposts are there to be moved literally now as only money talks these days it seems. And why not? American NFL League fixtures have been taking place in big seater stadia in London for a while now. I guess in this case, the temptation would be greater if say, the club owners already own an NFL side as well as a football league club. I must admit it is not beyond the realms of possibility that this could be a "toe-in-the-water" opening salvo for at least this possibility. I would not be surprised if this has been touted before. I do hope I'm wrong about this although if you can get the Americans hooked on our football it could open up access to some vast ground capacities over there.

Comment

There were discussion about playing league games overseas and the concerns were around the unfairness for those teams when points are up for grabs that impact champions league or relegation.

If they were going to do it every team would have to participate twice a season so every club is giving upa home and away fixture. Both sets of fixtures would have to be identical in distance and climate. It wouldnt be fair for one club to have a Jan fixture in Miami and another outdoors in New York.

But the only benefit but be higher player wages not reduced ticket prices or grounds being modernised or expanded. Wider game popularity, more money and bang average players on £500k a week.

Just leave it to pre-season tournaments and if American fans love it they can watch games in England. My mate flies to America once a year to watch the Bears NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post
        There were discussion about playing league games overseas and the concerns were around the unfairness for those teams when points are up for grabs that impact champions league or relegation.

If they were going to do it every team would have to participate twice a season so every club is giving upa home and away fixture. Both sets of fixtures would have to be identical in distance and climate. It wouldnt be fair for one club to have a Jan fixture in Miami and another outdoors in New York.
        Thanks for your reply Sheep, and I totally get their unfairness bit. As far as the F.A. are concerned, and as much as I like the excitement of, for example, the Play Offs, it is already somewhat unfair in principle for a team in third place to effectively have a dozen or so points wiped out to make room for the team in sixth. In the above case, they may only be talking about six points per side (although lesser circumstances than that decide fates, as we discover every season supporting our lot.) Also, in light of climate and distance, I totally get that too: what happened with some of the weather over there last winter was nuts, but then again it's still ok to alter the long-established summer World Cup finals to one in midwinter in sunny Qatar, breaking up team momentums and risking injuries to big names for a certain number of clubs mid-season. As they say, it's a funny old game.

Anyway, as for where the money will go: that's spot on, and in line with what you say let's hope there's no further agenda and that both the Premier League and the F.A. work together to keep things as they are.

Comment

Working...
        X