In other news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In other news

Lions- not particularly technically talented but organised hard working ,committed and honest brush aside PNE who toyed with us and laughed at our ineptitude.

This is what gets my goat... There are plenty of teams with a very similar size/stature/status to us in this division; working on a level playing field with what ought to be a similar financial background. So, seeing teams like Wall, PNE, Blackburn and Luton all sniffing around the playoffs just makes our position look effing inexcusable and indefensible.

Comment

And how many times have our fans criticized the style of Luton and Wall......dirty barstewards.

We're better than them with our footballing ethics

Comment

Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post
        And how many times have our fans criticized the style of Luton and Wall......dirty barstewards.

We're better than them with our footballing ethics

We haven’t even had a red card this season, that just shows the commitment of the players, the only player in squad capable of putting a meaty challenge in seems to be Field. We would have been better off with 10 men today with Dickie, Balogun or Dunne sent off for breaking Gyokeres legs in first minute, don’t think we would have lost 3-0

Comment

Originally posted by djp View Post

We haven’t even had a red card this season, that just shows the commitment of the players, the only player in squad capable of putting a meaty challenge in seems to be Field. We would have been better off with 10 men today with Dickie, Balogun or Dunne sent off for breaking Gyokeres legs in first minute, don’t think we would have lost 3-0
          Ive said before there has been too much focus on trying to create ball players suitable for sale to the premier league. This has been at the expense of building a team for the championship. We're too bloody soft. A team of very average players trying to play like Barcelona. As soon as it gets cold or it starts raining we fold like a cheap suit.

Comment

Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post

Ive said before there has been too much focus on trying to create ball players suitable for sale to the premier league. This has been at the expense of building a team for the championship. We're too bloody soft. A team of very average players trying to play like Barcelona. As soon as it gets cold or it starts raining we fold like a cheap suit.
            100% agree with you on this, and that focus on developing players will cost us dear. I did some research a few weeks ago on players sold over £10 million from Championship in last 8 years and it really isn’t many when you divide it across seasons and teams. Would much rather be run like Millwall, Luton, Blackburn etc. And give me a Dom Ball over a Dozzell all day. In fact if Ipswich go up then that would be a good swap for next season but I bet they would prefer Ball too

Comment

No, let’s not take any inspiration from Brentford, Brighton and Palace. Thats not the way to do it. Lets follow Millwall instead.

Comment

100% agree with you on this, and that focus on developing players will cost us dear. I did some research a few weeks ago on players sold over £10 million from Championship in last 8 years and it really isn’t many when you divide it across seasons and teams. Would much rather be run like Millwall, Luton, Blackburn etc. And give me a Dom Ball over a Dozzell all day. In fact if Ipswich go up then that would be a good swap for next season but I bet they would prefer Ball too
                Where was the Clint Hill and Shaun Derry spine in todays team? Even these young loanees we bring in is probably with an eye to their clubs releasing them hoping wed get them and sell them back to the prem a few years later. The Board have made us into some form of feeder club hopefully we could bslance the books in the process.

As you say very few are worthy of the step up.

Maybe better to get a team of hard workers around two or three ball players. Easier said then done but im sure we'd fook that up too.

Who was it that thought Dykes was going to score 15-20 goals to keep us up in this league? As Brian Clough said "You need bloody shooting for missing from there".

Comment

Originally posted by QPROslo View Post
                  No, let’s not take any inspiration from Brentford, Brighton and Palace. Thats not the way to do it. Let’s follow Millwall instead.
                  Those clubs had a proper scouting network and great recruitment, we have got LF who is not looking at the full package when signing a player, eg attitude and injury record seem to be totally overlooked. Name one player in our squad that has gone up in value this season and I will name 10 that have gone down in value. Eze was a fluke, it ain’t happening at this club again while LF is in charge

Comment

No, let’s not take any inspiration from Brentford, Brighton and Palace. Thats not the way to do it. Lets follow Millwall instead.
                    Actually thinking about it the Palace and Brighton teams that got promoted were more like Luton and Millwall back then. Palace managed by none other than Ian Holloway, for every Zaha they had someone like a Murray, Jedinak, Delaney, Ramage and a Ward.

Sheeps point is that you need to get the balance right, have a few flair players that can potentially sell on for profit but the bulk of the team need to be hard working Championship players

Comment

Here’s a question, in your opinion order the following players in terms of highest likely transfer fee at end of this season:

Lyndon Dykes
                      Carlton Morris
                      Elijah Adebayo
                      Chris Willock
                      Ilias Chair
                      Alfie Doughty

Comment

QPR 2022/23 = Charlton 2015/16

A team of high potential players but without any Championship backbone. And yes a lot of that Charlton squad have been sold for decent money, Lookman, Gudmunsson, Cousins, Pope, Fox, Gomez.

But look how that club have ended up!!!

Comment

HI Oslo,

I did not say or suggest that we should emulate Millwall .Perhaps I should have said overtly what I had hoped was implicit that 'the situation. 'tells you quite lot'

A lot of folks on here might be happy playing the Millwall way if it achieved their results.
                          Best regards

Comment

Here’s a question, in your opinion order the following players in terms of highest likely transfer fee at end of this season:

Lyndon Dykes
                            Carlton Morris
                            Elijah Adebayo
                            Chris Willock
                            Ilias Chair
                            Alfie Doughty
                            Right now, almost any club in the Championships have more saleable assets than us. That definitely goes for Luton, as in the case you highlight.

But I might ask back:

In your opinion, which of these players will have the highest likely transfer fee by end of this season:

Carlton Morris
                            Elijah Adebayo
                            Alfie Dought
                            Ivan Toney
                            Kevin Schade
                            Bryan Mbeumo

My point is: I still think we have more chance of long term success if we play a style of football similar to most PL teams and develop players capable of playing this style, - same as done by many promoted clubs, such a Brighton, Brentford etc. I think this will increase the chance for a small club like QPR to attract talented players, who want to use us as a step stone to PL. It can also generate good money that can be reinvested in the squad.

However, there are many ways to success. An effective direct style of play, based on lots of power and energy, can deliver promotion - I don't deny that. My point is that we ought to go down the route that is most like to deliver success. I think that is the same route as taken by Brentford. I don't rule out Millwall or Luton can can succeed, but in general I think those playing modern possession based style of football have a bigger chance.

However, I am the first to admit that the "Brentford way" is dependent on many important and complicated building blocks, where scouting, player development and shrewd footballing decision in general are important; something we seem incapable of right now, with our present board and staff.

We have not been successful lately. However, it does not necessarily mean that the strategy of developing ball-playing players has been wrong, but that the execution has been very poor. By replacing the likes of Warburton, Beale and Critchley with Ainsworth, we have made a sharp change of direction and strategy. I am critical to this, as I think it will reduce chance of success in the longer term. I don't even think it makes sense for the short term, but we will know in a few weeks.

Comment

Right now, almost any club in the Championships have more saleable assets than us. That definitely goes for Luton, as in the case you highlight.

But I might ask back:

In your opinion, which of these players will have the highest likely transfer fee by end of this season:

Carlton Morris
                              Elijah Adebayo
                              Alfie Dought
                              Ivan Toney
                              Kevin Schade
                              Bryan Mbeumo

My point is: I still think we have more chance of long term success if we play a style of football similar to most PL teams and develop players capable of playing this style, - same as done by many promoted clubs, such a Brighton, Brentford etc. I think this will increase the chance for a small club like QPR to attract talented players, who want to use us as a step stone to PL. It can also generate good money that can be reinvested in the squad.

However, there are many ways to success. An effective direct style of play, based on lots of power and energy, can deliver promotion - I don't deny that. My point is that we ought to go down the route that is most like to deliver success. I think that is the same route as taken by Brentford. I don't rule out Millwall or Luton can can succeed, but in general I think those playing modern possession based style of football have a bigger chance.

However, I am the first to admit that the "Brentford way" is dependent on many important and complicated building blocks, where scouting, player development and shrewd footballing decision in general are important; something we seem incapable of right now, with our present board and staff.

We have not been successful lately. However, it does not necessarily mean that the strategy of developing ball-playing players has been wrong, but that the execution has been very poor. By replacing the likes of Warburton, Beale and Critchley with Ainsworth, we have made a sharp change of direction and strategy. I am critical to this, as I think it will reduce chance of success in the longer term. I don't even think it makes sense for the short term, but we will know in a few weeks.

You know what, in general I agree with what you are saying Oslo, I have always been in awe of what Brentford have achieved over the last 5 years and always wanted us to emulate them, but as you rightly point out we do not have staff with sufficient ability to scout, develop and make shrewd decisions. As much as I loved LF as a player, he is out of his depth in this role, as are the likes of Ramsey, Hall, etc, they have had enough time. We seem to make the same mistakes again and again, the BOS and Manning thing will occur again with Willock in the summer, not that he is worth any more than 500k based on the last 6 months.

From your player examples, the Brentford players are phase 3-4 rinse and repeat, so totally not comparable to Luton or us either. Actually you can’t put Schade on the list as he is only on loan at Brentford with view to permanent and was never signed in the Championship. Toney was signed for £5 million upfront with up to £10 million. Mbeumo was signed for £5.8 million. We got Washington and Bonne for £3 million each, and they both left on frees, embarrassing.

Comment

Working...
                              X