Last time we were relegated from the Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last time we were relegated from the Championship

I am 50/50 on whether I think we will go down but has got me thinking about last time we went down. In a way things were worse then as by the end of the season there was a very real risk club would go under altogether. Squad completely ripped apart. Only player worth any money (Crouch) we had to sell with no replacement. We had about 5 permanent first teamers in pre-season for League 1 and zero money.

A similarity is Ian Holloway came in with a few months left of the season. No upturn and we went down with a whimper. Similarity with this season, I think anyway, is squad was poor and confidence was shot. I don't think any of us expected anything other than relegation. Ollie had come in as an up and coming manager having done well at Bristol Rovers and of course already a strong history with the club. Similarly GA has come in here after doing so well for Wycombe and also a well liked former player. I really don't think there is any manager out there who could do much with current squad. All we can do is hope some players come back quickly from injury and somehow we can start getting bit tighter at back and bit more incisive elsewhere. Regardless though, as with Ollie, I feel confident that come next season and whatever league we find ourselves in GA is the right person to overhaul this squad and get them working hard for the team. Felt the same about Ollie and whilst he did some odd things tactically he built a hard working team of characters against the backdrop of club being on brink financially, bucket collections and richer fans funding the odd player acquisition. Those few years went on to become some of my favourites.

So whilst things are horrible at the moment there is hope for the future and that we have rich owners we are more secure than we were back then. Grit your teeth, get through the next few months and hopefully better times will follow.

Relegation does not bother me in the slightest. We might actually win a few games and have an enjoyable afternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post
      Relegation does not bother me in the slightest. We might actually win a few games and have an enjoyable afternoon.
      I'd be worried as there's bigger clubs in there than us with no guarantees of bouncing back plus TV revenue gone as well, given we lose 500k a week and players values dropping like stones and even more games to play with the tin pot cup prem youth sides enter it may be a long stay or drop again.

Stopping up and resetting is a must imo but looks unlikely week by week given pboro turned us over 3 f kin times last season and there not even in the top 6 I'd say we'd struggle in L1 as well. Were in troubled water as it is hopefully GA can pluck us a couple of wins to stop the rot.

Comment

Originally posted by FurtiveFox View Post
        I am 50/50 on whether I think we will go down but has got me thinking about last time we went down. In a way things were worse then as by the end of the season there was a very real risk club would go under altogether. Squad completely ripped apart. Only player worth any money (Crouch) we had to sell with no replacement. We had about 5 permanent first teamers in pre-season for League 1 and zero money.

A similarity is Ian Holloway came in with a few months left of the season. No upturn and we went down with a whimper. Similarity with this season, I think anyway, is squad was poor and confidence was shot. I don't think any of us expected anything other than relegation. Ollie had come in as an up and coming manager having done well at Bristol Rovers and of course already a strong history with the club. Similarly GA has come in here after doing so well for Wycombe and also a well liked former player. I really don't think there is any manager out there who could do much with current squad. All we can do is hope some players come back quickly from injury and somehow we can start getting bit tighter at back and bit more incisive elsewhere. Regardless though, as with Ollie, I feel confident that come next season and whatever league we find ourselves in GA is the right person to overhaul this squad and get them working hard for the team. Felt the same about Ollie and whilst he did some odd things tactically he built a hard working team of characters against the backdrop of club being on brink financially, bucket collections and richer fans funding the odd player acquisition. Those few years went on to become some of my favourites.

So whilst things are horrible at the moment there is hope for the future and that we have rich owners we are more secure than we were back then. Grit your teeth, get through the next few months and hopefully better times will follow.
        Excellent inspiring post.

Do you have any spare time to help out a struggling side in the Shepherds Bush area?

Comment

When we went down to L1 under Holloway, not his fault, most players were out of contract. My view, advantage to us. Refreshed squad.

This time reminds me of Wilkins relegation from premier league, players under contract. They kept losing games. Performances didn't change.

I'd forget idea we have any player assets after relegation, player liabilities. Field and Dunne have some value, rest, we'd pay them to go. If player isn't sold by 100 appearances, you'll never sell them.

Comment

Originally posted by Isleworth116 View Post
            When we went down to L1 under Holloway, not his fault, most players were out of contract. My view, advantage to us. Refreshed squad.

This time reminds me of Wilkins relegation from premier league, players under contract. They kept losing games. Performances didn't change.

I'd forget idea we have any player assets after relegation, player liabilities. Field and Dunne have some value, rest, we'd pay them to go. If player isn't sold by 100 appearances, you'll never sell them.
            That lies the problem paying them off to go with lower St sales lower away fans following loss of TV income I doubt with losses at 500k a week we'd be stuck with who we got. Plus we're committed to Richards on x wages we don't half make it hard work

We've paid Bonne off already a L1 shake up wont be easy and stay in ffp hence really need to survive

Comment

Originally posted by shaggy24 View Post

That lies the problem paying them off to go with lower St sales lower away fans following loss of TV income I doubt with losses at 500k a week we'd be stuck with who we got. Plus we're committed to Richards on x wages we don't half make it hard work

We've paid Bonne off already a L1 shake up wont be easy and stay in ffp hence really need to survive
              Agree about making it difficult, Clarke-Salter under contract until 2026. Add in Hammelian, still another year, we'll pay him off in January 2024.

Honestly, I can't believe we're fully committed purchasing Richards. I think option to purchase, albeit compulsory if targets met, example 20 starts.

Comment

Originally posted by Isleworth116 View Post

Agree about making it difficult, Clarke-Salter under contract until 2026. Add in Hammelian, still another year, we'll pay him off in January 2024.

Honestly, I can't believe we're fully committed purchasing Richards. I think option to purchase, albeit compulsory if targets met, example 20 starts.
                Whoever is sorting contracts out needs replacing imo along with medical team

Comment

If we were to get relegated I would expect the following to leave:

Dieng, Dykes, Chair, Johansen, Adomoah, Balogun, Field, Paal, Martin plus all loans and any loan players we have out whose contracts are ending. Dunne could possibly attract interest, not sure given how season has derailed.

I have not put Willock in as I would expect us to action our option to extend his contract. Given his injury record clubs may or may not be willing to take a punt on him. If he has great first half of season may get a few million in January. On other hand a club may buy for something like £2.5m plus add ons in summer.

Amos will likely go but would be a good asset in League One if his fitness managed and we will be short of bodies so would not be averse on say a one year appearance based contract with a renewal option.

In terms of transfer fees will be depressed but if all those players do leave would expect £15m-£20m, maybe bit more if Willock goes too plus huge amount of wages saved. If GA is give £1 in every £4 would give a very decent pot by league one standards. May of course be given nothing! We would still be largely dependent on freebies and loans but I'm sure he has any number of lower league players he would be keen to sign and develop.

Will take at least one season to settle down (as with previous time we went down) as we would have:

Archer, Mahoney, Walsh
                  Kakay, Dunne, Dickie, JSC, Drewe, Gubbins
                  Dozzell, maybe Amos, Dixon-Bonner if retained
                  Armstrong
                  plus any youngsters who are added to first team squad.

Would need new LB (don't see Niko featuring regardless of division we are in), cover/competition at full backs and virtually completely new midfield and a couple of strikers. I have left in Archer as should be plenty good for league one. Could possibly retain Martin as well.

If we go down would put us back at least 2-3 years but may be more enjoyable from fan perspective.

If we stay up would expect us to retain some of those players listed above as likely to be sold. Would still need considerable rebuild but a half decent summer could see us relatively safe next season although would expect lower mid table with hope of modest improvement following season. We simply are not promotion contender material. Nowhere near enough money. Lower end budget in Championship with hope of bit better in practice.

Comment

Gareth has seen plenty of L1 games so will identify hard working grafters , Our midfield is slow, soft and easily bullied . Johansen , dozzell etc are just not good enough .
                    The modern midfield player has to work hard without the ball , closing down , jockeying .
                    This lot we have are just not good enough , unfit , lazy or have just given up .
                    If L1 beckons so be it , I want to see a hard working team every week not a team full if over paid handbags pulling out of games for niggles and strains ...

Comment

This squad were top of the league not too long ago. Over-performing undoubtedly, but should be nowhere near relegation with a bit of organisation and hard work. Think GA can instil this

Comment

Once a team has a losing mentality it's hard to change .
                        We need new faces in and a fresh approach . Clearing out the Deadwood is easier said than done .

Comment

Originally posted by shaggy24 View Post

At some point in last few weeks I noticed that our attendance for a home Saturday game was lower than five or six of the attendances in League One that same day. Similarly, I noticed our attendance on another recent Saturday was the lowest of that day's Championship attendances. It got me thinking that the third tier was actually our natural level and currently there isn't actually anything about us that is "Championship Level" on or off the pitch

Also, isn't there some sort of wage cap in League One? Plus 99% of the time there is no club with a parachute money advantage (unless a team does a Sunderland and gets relegated in two successive seasons). All this might conspire to do us a favour and enable us to compete on a level-ish field and rebuild/reset into something with a bit of cohesion and competitiveness about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Abseits View Post

At some point in last few weeks I noticed that our attendance for a home Saturday game was lower than five or six of the attendances in League One that same day. Similarly, I noticed our attendance on another recent Saturday was the lowest of that day's Championship attendances. It got me thinking that the third tier was actually our natural level and currently there isn't actually anything about us that is "Championship Level" on or off the pitch

Also, isn't there some sort of wage cap in League One? Plus 99% of the time there is no club with a parachute money advantage (unless a team does a Sunderland and gets relegated in two successive seasons). All this might conspire to do us a favour and enable us to compete on a level-ish field and rebuild/reset into something with a bit of cohesion and competitiveness about it.
                            There is a structure for L1 however this is one of my gripes with ffp I live in just outside pboro 4 bed house 375-400k as example in London it's say close to 750k probably more on certain areas how the fk can we pay a player 5k a week and compete with pboro he can buy two houses up here to entice decent player to London and posh paid Toney 10k a week they ain't going to jump to the Bush easily ffp works on paper but restricts the small crowds small clubs in the expensive locations ffp penalises us on two fronts we have to pay more to get players in or give 4 Yr deals

Comment

Already lost to Fleetwood and Charlton (albeit on pens) this season with a "Championship" side....not going to be a breeze if we go down unless GA can put a decent side together in the summer

Comment

Working...
                              X