The Curious Case of Tyler Roberts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Curious Case of Tyler Roberts

I'm still trying to make my mind up on this lad. A lot of natural ability, a lot of experience for a young player, a Welsh international and highly regarded.

But so far his displays have failed to back many of those observations up. He has scored twice, a cracker v Charlton in a match we have all forgotten about and a tap in v Bristol City.

He has operated in the lone striker role and as a 10 playing off the target man and hasnt convinced me in either position. He isnt lightning quick yet isnt slow by any means. He's strong but falls over a lot. He's well built but won't put his foot in. There are a lot of similarities to Andre Gray with his reluctance to work hard for the team apart from the goal return!!

He moans more than any other player we have, he throws his arms up when things dont go his way and has recently started mouthing off to his own players. Is he a big time bertie who thinks he's doing us a favour by being here? Does he have the temperament to be a real performer in a league where natural ability gets you so far but a work ethic gets you further?

He isnt at the same level as Willock and i dont think he ever will be. We need him to step up now Chris is out but all the talk is that Ilias needs to be the main man. For me, Mr Roberts should be the guy who steps up as he's the guy on loan from a Premier League club and should be looking to impress us enough for the club to hand over 4 million pounds for his services on a permanent deal next June.

If this lad isn't prepared to put a shift in and be as committed as a Sam Field or a Jimmy Dunne then I would rather cut the loan deal short and send him back. If he bucks his ideas up and shows us the player we were told he was when we signed him then he could be a star for years to come.

The choice is his but will he take it???

Over to you Tyler........

I rate him and trust Beale .
    I do think you are digging him out . His just not scoring atm however he isn’t a goal scorer . He is very skilful and can make things happen . Beale will get the best out of him . I love Willock but some games his done nothing then bang scores us a winner . These type of players are what we need . It’s a team game we have hard working players we have skill full players etc they all play there part .

Comment

A flair player , similar to willock and chair is there room for all 3 in the team , don't see any of them working hard without the ball , tho chair has stepped up his work rate lately .

Comment

Originally posted by Kingaustin View Post
        I rate him and trust Beale .
        I do think you are digging him out . His just not scoring atm however he isn’t a goal scorer . He is very skilful and can make things happen . Beale will get the best out of him . I love Willock but some games his done nothing then bang scores us a winner . These type of players are what we need . It’s a team game we have hard working players we have skill full players etc they all play there part .
        I'm not digging him out. I said I haven't made my mind up. Hence the post. Like you said, hopefully beale will get the best out of him but there's no guarantee that happens. It's down to the player to be a success, not the manager. I'll be delighted if Roberts turns out to be the real deal but so far I'm undecided.

Comment

Wow. Harsh. Big time Bertie. See no evidence of that.

He seems a decent player to me.

Don't think he should be judged on his goals.

Can be creative and skilful and links well with others and some pace. As said he is young still also.

Solid loan signing i think.

Comment

Originally posted by longtime_ranger View Post
            Wow. Harsh. Big time Bertie. See no evidence of that.

He seems a decent player to me.

Don't think he should be judged on his goals.

Can be creative and skilful and links well with others and some pace. As said he is young still also.

Solid loan signing i think.
            Genuinely not trying to come across as being harsh but some comments after the luton match was that he was too busy whinging instead of focusing his efforts on trying to get us back in the game. Gray acted like he was doing us a favour by being at the club and we all saw that. Roberts seems more in sync with what we need but he hasn't got going in my opinion. Just saying what I've seen so far. He's very talented but when dykes is fit and willock is fit then Roberts won't be starting many games.

Comment

When we signed him my Leeds made said hes an honest guy who puts the work in, talented but never quite lived up the expectations. He said he "might" do a job at championship level, but didnt seem convinced he'd set the world alight.

Comment

What did we think of Taylor Richards when he came on ?
                Yeah he only had a few minutes but thought he had a little something when he replaced Roberts (their names are too close for my liking) !

Comment

I agree about his moaning. His body language is shocking.

Comment

Working...
                  X