Contracts situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contracts situation

The end of this current season will mean the end of contracts for a number of our players. The likes of Willock, Bonne, Masterson, Shodipo, Amos, Thomas, Archer and the most recent signing, Balogun. Some, like Willock, have an option to extend by another year. However, do we need to go to the line considering he is being quoted as a 25 million player? What if clubs will wait to get his fee down or he refuse to extend his contract? Do we want to deal with another Manning or BOS situation? It is so clear that the club is pushing hard to sell Willock and get the money. But if no bids are made in January, do we risk to lose him for a much less transfer fee, if not for nothing? The same apply with Amos, and maybe Masterson and Bonne. The club should offer longer contracts to players that are important to the team, the same as was done with Luke Freeman. He agreed to signed an extension to his contract and was sold soon after. And that's how it should be done.

We have the contractual option to extend Willock's contract and don't need him to sign. It's a clause the club activates.

Comment

I'd only want to keep Willock from players listed.

Shodipo, Archer, Thomas, Masterson, Bonne, Ballogun and Amos, I'd release at end of contract.

Comment

Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post
        We have the contractual option to extend Willock's contract and don't need him to sign. It's a clause the club activates.
        So true. However, that will mean he's in his last year. It will without any doubt effect our power to negotiate the best deal possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Martinmalta View Post

So true. However, that will mean he's in his last year. It will without any doubt effect our power to negotiate the best deal possible.
          If the club want to activate thr clause hes effectively contracted to the summer of 2024. But as far as im aware there havent been any bids for him let one two clubs battling it out for his signature. We'll surely extend hus contract and as of now he will leave on a free transfer in Jun 24.

Comment

If Amos can prove his fitness would give him another contract. Of the others, excluding Willock, they need to show this season they can do it at this level otherwise I would release them.

Comment

Balogun has played 2 matches and we have kept 2 clean sheets

Comment

Originally posted by Nikoc View Post
                Agreed, but he's hardly one for future. 34 years old. I'd expect us to release him next summer, Balogun is probably expecting it too.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikoc View Post
                  Only brought in because Dickie cant move his legs quick enough and Masterson hasnt impressed MB. More work needed at CB next summer, especially if we've got aspirations to finish in the Champions League spots next season!!

Comment

Only brought in because Dickie cant move his legs quick enough and Masterson hasnt impressed MB. More work needed at CB next summer, especially if we've got aspirations to finish in the Champions League spots next season!!
                    That's the spirit!
                    "I don't read the papers, I don't gamble, I don't even know what day it is." - Steve McClaren.

Comment

If Willock won't sign an extension by this January we have to sell him in the January window. He cannot be allowed to enter the final year of his contract, it would decimate any transfer fee we might get for him next summer or winter.

Comment

Originally posted by Abseits View Post
                        If Willock won't sign an extension by this January we have to sell him in the January window. He cannot be allowed to enter the final year of his contract, it would decimate any transfer fee we might get for him next summer or winter.
                        If we're pushing for promotion and we're in the top 6 come January then I don't agree at all. promotion is worth 100m so willocks transfer fee then becomes chicken feed. Risk to reward with common sense has to take place and we should do all we can to keep him. The offer will always be too low anyway
                        I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

Originally posted by Abseits View Post
                          That's my point. If he do not sign an extension in January 2023, rest assured that we will not get what everyone thinks he's worth ... if anything at all. Hoping that same sentiments are felt by Les @ co. as well.

Comment

Ha ha ha brilliant

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreQPR12 View Post

If we're pushing for promotion and we're in the top 6 come January then I don't agree at all. promotion is worth 100m so willocks transfer fee then becomes chicken feed. Risk to reward with common sense has to take place and we should do all we can to keep him. The offer will always be too low anyway
                              Will have to agree to disagree.... We have to follow Brentford model. They got the big bucks for Benrahma, Watkins and Toney because they all had years left on their contracts.

Blackburn were offered £4 million for their forward in January but opted for your approach..... they decided to hang onto him and go for promotion. The promotion bid was a joke and fell apart more than ours did and the player left on a free in June cos his contract was up (sorry, can't remember his name - the nippy fellah they had up front). Maybe the Rovers gamble was right, £4 million isnt "life changing" money. However, Willock is conceivably worth £15+ million this January, that's a BIG gamble on our part to turn that sort of dosh down if we know he won't sign an extension and intends to run his contract down and leave for peanuts or even on a freebie.

I'm not saying don't do all we can to keep him - I'd offer him a massive 4/5 yr-deal. I'm simply saying if he turns his nose up at such an offer he HAS to go pronto. It's the same with any/all of our marquee players - we have to move them on before they get into the final third of their contracts and start haemorrhaging value. That still means we get 2 or 3 years out of them and make a big profit to fund decent new acquisitions and start the cycle again.

Comment

Working...
                              X