Chair and Ramadan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chair and Ramadan

During Ramadan (April 1 to April 30) muslims don’t eat during the day. When you are a professional footballer this really affects your energy level and intensity - this during and important and intense phase of the season. First AFCON then a month without food daytime……..

What is our clubs policy regarding this? Is practicing your religion more important than fully contribute to the club that pays your wages?

On Friday I thought stopping the game just 5 minutes before halftime so Ramadan-observing players could have a drink at sunset was wholly unnecessary. But, I suppose a bit of televised virtue-signalling will always trump common sense. I'm sure it would have been possible for players to have accessed a quick swig of sustenance from strategically place bottles without formally stopping play. To be clear, I'm querying the timing... just before a scheduled half-time break, not the concept of a Muslim pitstop during general play.

On the subject.... Would it be acceptable to inject Muslim athletes with nutrients/calories intravenously to enable them to be optimally fuelled for daytime sporting endeavour during fasting hours?

Comment

It's my understanding that individuals can gain exemptions from their Imam if their work means they cant follow it and are asked to do other activities to compensate.

There are also a lot of muslims who arent as religious as previous generations. One Muslim guy I worked with missed the fasting for many years and picked it up again at 27yrs. I guess many have become westernised to a degree.

I'm no expert though.........

Comment

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/16874...rives-stardom/

Comment

Working...
        X