Wing backs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wing backs

I believe this has been our real down fall. Our system relies on quick wing backs with an engine. Wallace an ok defender but looks like he’s running in treacle, Uncs has zero pace which means he has to cross it early almost every time. Moses is quick but made of glass and switches off too easy. McCallum is perfect for our system and it’s annoying he got that really bad injury but needs to play for the remainder of the season. We have no one in midfielder who can get on the ball and drive forward, too many stand still side way passers. The lack of decent wing backs also makes our midfield look even worse as no one is joining in with attacks. I believe if we had 2 young, quick wing backs with a decent engine on them we would still be challenging for play offs.

Yep. It's round pegs in square holes but has been all season. Wallace is a left back. Adomah a right winger. Neither are wing backs, especially when the squad as a whole isn't blessed with pace.

Yes it worked earlier in the season when they were more fresh and other teams hadn't figured us out. One could also reverse this and answer those who defend our current plummet down the table with the old, "but we have one of the smallest playing budgets in the league". The same manager with the same players had us one win from going into the automatic places, and 7 points clear of 7th. He didn't address the ageing, tiring, AFCON attending, sure to get injuries soon squad, with some fresh pace before the end of January. Instead we got another slug to add to the host of slugs we already have..... Then he decides to drop younger quicker players more than the ageing slugs.

Oh well, we should finish above mid table. Time to play Amos, Dozzell, even Sinclair Armstrong until the end of the season.

Comment

My personal opinion it is a crap system and if you play this system you need good centre halves as well as two pacey energetic wing backs. Also one ball down the channel pulls your centre half out and the wing back has to chase back .
      I see it as mainly a defensive system that makes it harder to concede , rather than an attacking system , as it gives you an extra defender in the side.
      Also Warburton only started using this system when we were conceding 2 or 3 goals every game before christmas 2020 . To be fair it worked well for us the second part of last season , along with the loan signings Jordy, Stef and Charlie but we should have bought a couple or loaned decent wing backs in the summer .
      Odabajo is injury prone and it seems Macallum was just brought as back up to Wallace who is also injury prone and too old and slow.
      I think a lot of the reason it is'nt working now is teams have sussed us out and press us high , causing the centre halves to panic and therefore pass sideways or backwards , hence the team become disjointed and the midfield become too far away from the attack , which is why we are'nt scoring as many and therefore losing games and then players become less confident in passing it around anyway .

Comment

Working...
      X