Warbo's post match interview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warbo's post match interview

Respectfully (v Warbo word) I completely disagree with it: his saying the issue is we didn't score more goals.

Again he blames it on us not taking our chances - but what about blaming the fact that yet again we let in two goals?

Even when we score three goals this season we are far from guaranteed three points. There are going to be games when you don't manage to score more than one goal - and that needs to be enough.

Currently the prospect of us keeping a clean sheet - or even keeping the opposition down to one goal - often seems way beyond us.

We can't constantly expect to score three goals a game. We could hardly have expected to have more goals to our name this season than we have.

I really like Warbs, want him to be manager for the longer term, I like the way he develops young players and gets us passing from the back - and I realise that leaves you a bit open.

But there has to be a balance, surely? Otherwise how different is it, really, from the Kevin Keagan approach of "you score four and we will score five"?

And you can say after every game "oh their goalkeeper was brilliant", but actually is it more that we are just tactically a bit naive?

Yes it makes for entertaining matches but as fan you only leave happy if you score one more than the opposition. And I don't think there are too many examples of teams being promoted from the Championship who are anything like as vulnerable at the back as we are. As Martin Keown said on MoTD "you need a base to build on." Where is our base?

We tightened up towards the back end of last season but we seem to be right back to our old leaky sieve self - what's happened? Is it the loss of Sam Field as a defensive midfielder? Is Stef a bit less effective this season than last? Are our wingbacks neglecting their defensive responsibilities? I genuinely don't know, but I hope the coaches are thinking about it.

Am not, btw, blaming our defence as a unit as you defend as a team. That said I think Jordi could probably use a rest but think Dickie and Barbet have both been brilliant this season. But if the response of Warbs in training is more shooting practice and telling the team to be more ruthless in front of goal, respectfully (!) I don't think he is addressing the fundamental problem.

Just my opinion of course.

Good post…it is a tricky one tho…but although it’s a pleasure watching us play…our conceding of goals is alarming…I don’t think there’s anything to fear in this league..but we have taken only 1 point from 3 games…and bizarrely played some excellent football..

Comment

Warburton's sides tend to be more attack minded than defensively sound. It's entertaining to watch, but unless we tighten up at the back, we will be a mid table side.

Field adds a bit more solid defensive work than Ball, and so may help out, but we really can't be doing with all out gung ho football from our defenders and wing backs if we don't have that holding midfielder to provide some cover allowing Barbet and Dickie to move out a bit wider when Odubajo and McCallum are both attacking.

Comment

The absence of field to this team is huge. Ball is okay but not at the same level as field. Stef seems to be dropping deeper every game this season as there is no one taking the ball off the back 3. When this happens we miss his ability to play the final ball in the last third of the pitch because he's being asked to do the work of 2 players instead of his own job.

Comment

I criticised Warbs the other day but massive credit tonight: great management to have rested Jordi, Stefan, Odubajo, Gray and Lyndon who should all be fresh to face West Brom but still fielded a team to beat 5th in the Premier League.

Also he gave some game time to Amos, gave Dozzell the opportunity to show he is a very good midfield option, gave a full 90 mins to Uncle which he kinda owed him after all this time, and was also able to successfully "blood" a youngster in a high pressure game in the shape of Duke-Mkenna. All proved they can do a good job and hopefully that will give Warbs the confidence to know he can bring some of these players on or even start them without that necessarily weakening us.

For the first time in ages we genuinely have a squad.

Comment

Love it when the big boys fans talk about our players

https://tbrfootball.com/everton-fans...ng-cup-defeat/

Comment

Originally posted by stainrodisalegend View Post
              Respectfully (v Warbo word) I completely disagree with it: his saying the issue is we didn't score more goals.

Again he blames it on us not taking our chances - but what about blaming the fact that yet again we let in two goals?

Even when we score three goals this season we are far from guaranteed three points. There are going to be games when you don't manage to score more than one goal - and that needs to be enough.

Currently the prospect of us keeping a clean sheet - or even keeping the opposition down to one goal - often seems way beyond us.

We can't constantly expect to score three goals a game. We could hardly have expected to have more goals to our name this season than we have.

I really like Warbs, want him to be manager for the longer term, I like the way he develops young players and gets us passing from the back - and I realise that leaves you a bit open.

But there has to be a balance, surely? Otherwise how different is it, really, from the Kevin Keagan approach of "you score four and we will score five"?

And you can say after every game "oh their goalkeeper was brilliant", but actually is it more that we are just tactically a bit naive?

Yes it makes for entertaining matches but as fan you only leave happy if you score one more than the opposition. And I don't think there are too many examples of teams being promoted from the Championship who are anything like as vulnerable at the back as we are. As Martin Keown said on MoTD "you need a base to build on." Where is our base?

We tightened up towards the back end of last season but we seem to be right back to our old leaky sieve self - what's happened? Is it the loss of Sam Field as a defensive midfielder? Is Stef a bit less effective this season than last? Are our wingbacks neglecting their defensive responsibilities? I genuinely don't know, but I hope the coaches are thinking about it.

Am not, btw, blaming our defence as a unit as you defend as a team. That said I think Jordi could probably use a rest but think Dickie and Barbet have both been brilliant this season. But if the response of Warbs in training is more shooting practice and telling the team to be more ruthless in front of goal, respectfully (!) I don't think he is addressing the fundamental problem.

Just my opinion of course.
              You're definitely right about the defence and we need to tighten up but tbf we had numerous huge chances on Saturday and could and should have had 5 or 6, so I have no issue with MW regarding Bristol City. City's keeper had a blinder but on the flip side, our strikers finishing was poor. Dykes chance second half was a brilliant save from City's point of view but from our point of view, I thought it was an average finish by Dykes as he had a lot more margin for error between the keeper and the post.

Add to the above Dykes and Austin both missing one on ones in the second half and Gray in the first half, so our strikers have had 4 massive chances, in which all will be disappointed they missed. Maybe Charlie won't be as disappointed with it being on his left foot. If just one of them goes in, we're in front and we don't get done on the counter in injury time.

MW does sometimes annoy me saying we need to be more clinical but Saturday he was bang on. Goals do change games and if we hit the front at any point on Saturday, there was only going to be one result, a Rangers win.

Comment

Working...
              X