3-4-2-1 vs 4-4-2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3-4-2-1 vs 4-4-2

We start matches either in our most common 3-4-2-1 formation or 3-4-1-2 if we leave one of Chair or Willock out to accodate two strikers. When we chase matches we often switch to four at the back, allowing for various combination further up the field, depending on whether we introduce an extra striker or not, Adomah on the right or Thomas as an extra midfielder, or we switch to a diamond formation as yesterday. We rarely change like for like. Substitutions often come together with change of formation.

Warburton has more often got it right than wrong with his substitutions.

I understand that we start with three at the back and two wing-backs, given the success we had in the second half of last season. But I can't stop thinking we have been better with a conventional back four recently, particularly when we don't have Wallace available. It allows for one extra man in attack, but might make us more vulnerable defensively. I understand Warburton thinks it is more suited late in the matches, when we have tired the opposition.

I would be interested to see a full match played with 4 at the back. If McCallum can also play at the right hand side, which I read somwhere, the back four could be (from left to right): Barbet, de Wijs, Dickie and McCallum. I wouldn't leave one of our three main central defenders out to accomodate for both McCallum and Moses.

That would allow for both Chair and Willock and a front two of Dykes, Austin or Grey. Chair and Willock would have to play a bit wider than in our classic formation, or in a diamond shape.

I'm sure as the season unfolds he will try different formations , would be nice to have field , Amos and Wallace back then see how we play out . Important week coming up where I think warbs will have to earn his corn .

Comment

Most of our good link up play is through willock and chair combining. Having them half a pitch apart crushes that, plus neither are wingers. We are too open with 2 at the back, as we don’t have a natural holding midfielder. Pls don’t mention Ball…

Comment

Originally posted by Golborne View Post
        Most of our good link up play is through willock and chair combining. Having them half a pitch apart crushes that, plus neither are wingers. We are too open with 2 at the back, as we don’t have a natural holding midfielder. Pls don’t mention Ball…
        IMO that partnership of Chair and Willock hasn’t fully clicked into gear so far this season,probably due to Chair contacting Covid.

Bringing Chair off the bench similar to last season would perhaps ease him back into some form again.

Comment

Our struggle seems to be midfield... with only two fit CMs.
          Reckon when Amos and Field are back he fit he will try the 4-3-3 again...
          Midfield 3 of Stef, Amos, Field with a Willock and Chair either side of Dykes. We could easily but chair or willock into that midfield and play two strikers or Albert out wide.
          Nice to see we can be flexible in formation though.

Comment

Working...
          X