X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Academy prospects

Hey everyone,

Long time reader, first time poster.

Many of you out there follow the academy? Who are deemed as our brightest prospects?

Seems like Duke-McKenna has something special, would like to see him get more minutes this season. Looks like Sinclair Armstrong has a big of talk around him too.

Anyone seen Ivo Rossi play for the u18s? QPR website description has him as a ball playing CB from Italy - this has me all excited we might have a Bonucci on our hands! Saw that he came from Juventus too.

Would like to see Gubbins make a breakthrough. Also whatever happened/is happening to Ramkilde?

Cheers!

I’ve followed them when I can , I will be honest none are good enough for the first team at 19/20/21years old if you are not good enough for the first team then you may as well move on I hope I’m wrong but a lot or people going on about duke and gubbins they are not good enough IMO think we are clutching at straws for another eze or chair won’t be with this crop of under 23s . I will however stand corrected if proven wrong

Comment

Not sure we have much coming through. Some of them are already 22/23 years old and don't look good enough for our first team. If they aren't good enough by then, it usually means they won't have a career at qpr. Hope a few youngsters make a breakthrough but most look very average and our under 23's tend to lose more than they win which tells us a lot! A lot of talk re armstrong but apart from him, there's no one else that has people getting excited about.

Comment

Duke McKenna looked lively when a sub against Oxford and I wouldn't object to him being used again in a League game. I rate Bettache and think he has a decent future ahead of him and think he is better than Thomas already.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to see much of the rest so don't know how good they can be in the future.

I do agree that if they are not in the team by the time they get to 22/23 then the chances of them ever doing so are very slim indeed. Truth is, if they are good enough they can be in the side as teenagers.

Comment

The little I have seen of Thomas, Dozzell, Bettache and Duke-McKenna suggests the two former are not better than the two latter. If I had to make a bet whom would be the best of these players some years from now my money would be on Bettache.

Comment

Originally posted by QPROslo View Post
            The little I have seen of Thomas, Dozzell, Bettache and Duke-McKenna suggests the two former are not better than the two latter. If I had to make a bet whom would be the best of these players some years from now my money would be on Bettache.
            I have to say that I agree with that.

Comment

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies.

Not great when our best 'youth' prospects are already 21/22 but are still playing u23 football. As put perfectly above, it doesn't paint a good picture when our youth teams are struggling to win

Comment

Duke looked ok against Oxo , constantly wanting the ball , fast and getting into good positions . Whether he kicks on is another thing

Comment

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/under-23s...randon-aveiro/

QPR Under-23s are delighted to have completed the signing of Brandon Aveiro

Comment

Originally posted by LoftusRoadLad View Post
                    https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/under-23s...randon-aveiro/

QPR Under-23s are delighted to have completed the signing of Brandon Aveiro
                    This is the route that QPR are making better progress out of i.e. Eze, Chair, Dieng rather than schoolboys and U18s football.

Comment

You only need one out of a team to make it if they make it quite big - the success to failure ratio is tiny, even with the biggest clubs, hence why half the players in a div 3 team were prob products of a premier league academy

Comment

Originally posted by stanistheman View Post

This is the route that QPR are making better progress out of i.e. Eze, Chair, Dieng rather than schoolboys and U18s football.
                        Yep, this is the clear and obvious way forward.

I dunno the stats for home-growing a school boy into a fully fledged adult 1st team player but it must be 1 in 100 or more?

A club can seriously improve those odds by picking them up at age 19 or 20 I reckon. Even then I suspect the chances of them making it are still 1 in 20ish.

Comment

Originally posted by Abseits View Post

Yep, this is the clear and obvious way forward.

I dunno the stats for home-growing a school boy into a fully fledged adult 1st team player but it must be 1 in 100 or more?

A club can seriously improve those odds by picking them up at age 19 or 20 I reckon. Even then I suspect the chances of them making it are still 1 in 20ish.
                          Quite low at school level for us because the best of that bunch would also be likely to have offers from premiership clubs. And if we find one they get snatched away from us like Sterling did.

Its almost a 'community' activity rather than a benefit to the club from a player perspective. But that should be enough to keep it going to have the connection to fans and the area. A bit like having a woman's team...

Comment

Working...
                          X