Charlie's fitness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charlie's fitness

An attack of ours broke down today and before we onew it we were defending a corner. Charlie hauled himself down the pitch to defend and by the time he was back up top he was blowing out of his ar$e big time.

He's certainly lost any pace he had but to be on his toes in the opposition's box he needs to be fresh and noy struggling for air. If its his fitness thats lacking perhaps that will improve a bit the more he plays, but I really think he should stay up top and save his legs for attacking runs and staying calm in the box. At one point I thought he was going to collapse.

All the box to box stuff is a big ask for a player of his age and injury record. Warbs goes go on about player loading so I think we need to be a bit smarter with what we're asking of him. Perhaps he should spend the next week going spin classes to improve his cardio?

Thoughts?

Charlie is no Harry kane. He is however also a goalscorer but Charlie definitely needs to be selfish and goal hang. Brilliant at being in the right place at the right time so should definitely focus on his strengths. I think he could be fitter. 31 is not that old. He should be close to scoring 20 goals at this level which is also what we realistically need even with goals from willock and chair
    I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

Why isn't his fitness level where it should be?

Comment

Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post
        An attack of ours broke down today and before we onew it we were defending a corner. Charlie hauled himself down the pitch to defend and by the time he was back up top he was blowing out of his ar$e big time.

He's certainly lost any pace he had but to be on his toes in the opposition's box he needs to be fresh and noy struggling for air. If its his fitness thats lacking perhaps that will improve a bit the more he plays, but I really think he should stay up top and save his legs for attacking runs and staying calm in the box. At one point I thought he was going to collapse.

All the box to box stuff is a big ask for a player of his age and injury record. Warbs goes go on about player loading so I think we need to be a bit smarter with what we're asking of him. Perhaps he should spend the next week going spin classes to improve his cardio?

Thoughts?
        Agree totally. He needd to be conserving his energy for the position he plays in.

i know neither Willock or Chair will win headers defending corners or free kicks, but maybe keeping 3 in attack will mean the opposition sending less players in attack.

Comment

He is definitely no where near the player he was , I'm not having at 31 he can't be fitter . I watch a vets team and there's 40 year olds that would lap him .Got to be carrying a injury . I was watching his lack of movement yday he doesn't work the defence far to static and easy to play against

Comment

Originally posted by 72bus View Post
            He is definitely no where near the player he was , I'm not having at 31 he can't be fitter . I watch a vets team and there's 40 year olds that would lap him .Got to be carrying a injury . I was watching his lack of movement yday he doesn't work the defence far to static and easy to play against
            Yes.

I know he had that knock and may not be match fit, but I noticed that those runs back to support the defence came at the expense of stretching the Coventry defence.

I'm not convinced that we need his heading ability when we're defending corners as we already have three strapping CBs and an excellent keeper. Dom Ball is also 6"2' and Willock and Chair are capable of clearing knock downs.

Charlie has just turned 32yrs and we've got him till the end of next season and with his legacy injuries we need to manage him a bit better. Even when he gets match fit, save his legs and power for the attacks and dragging defenders away to create space for other players. A jaded Austin when we're attacking is not much good.

I admire the way Warbs sets his teams up, but on this one I wish he'd think again. Adel was given a free role all those years ago and I wish Charlie would be cut a bit of slack.

Comment

Of course you need Charlie defending corners & how many times has he cleared it? Loads, chair & Willock was on half way line waiting for clearances to come their way & also keeping 3/4 of their players keeping an eye on them if you watched the match yesterday

Comment

Working...
              X