No more foreign players?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No more foreign players?

I took some time to study the new UK point based immigration system for foreign football players post Brexit. It is a very complex system and it is not easy to get a good understanding of all details. But as far as I understand, smaller clubs on limited budget will find it hard to import players from abroad, as the kind of players smaller clubs can afford won't have enough points to qualify for a working licence.

Players such as Faurlin, Buszacky, Helguson, Polter, Leinstner Gorkks, Luongo and many other could not be signed under the new rules.

Being a Norwegian I find some interest in the fact Solskjær could not be signed by Man U as a manager. The new rules pretty much eliminate all foreign managers to follow Warburton, as those we can afford will not have enough points. We are bound to look domestically.

I think this is once again rules that fit the bigger clubs that can afford players with sufficient points. Small clubs running on limited budget will hardly be able to look abroad. Foreign players have added spice to QPR and many of the great names from the past are foreign - it is sad this will be history, but important that peoples wish for tight regulation of immigration is respected, as I understand this was an important part of the Brexit decision.

Not making this political, however theres hundreds if not thousands of young talented UK players, who quite often are never given a chance because Of cheap foreign imports who are no better than the youngsters.

In the long run should help the national team, but more importantly our young UK players.
    Last edited by Romford Hoop; 03-01-2021, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Agree with Romford, this can only be a good thing for our youngsters?
      F*CK OFF CHELSEA WEST LONDON IS OURS!

Comment

https://www.thefa.com/news/2015/jun/...all-in-england

According to the FA in 2015, an incredible 11,000,000 English people were playing Football in England, I can’t imagine it is much different in 2021, Covid barring.

Maybe the next Rodney Marsh, Stan Bowles, Dave Thomas Phil Parkes, Gerry Francis, Clive Allen, Paul Parker, David Seamen, Les Ferdinand and Eberechi Eze are still out there on Hackney Marshes.
        I have supported Rangers for 55 seasons, since March 1969.

Comment

Originally posted by Romford Hoop View Post
          Not making this political, however theres hundreds if not thousands of young talented UK players, who quite often are never given a chance because Of cheap foreign imports who are no better than the youngsters.

In the long run should help the national team, but more importantly our young UK players.
          But will it help the National team? Prem clubs will still buy expensive foreign imports and it is nigh on impossible for a Championship player or lower Prem player to get an England call up. It will make the gap between upper and lower Prem clubs even bigger.

Comment

If the 72 clubs outside the Premier League have 6 foreign players each, the total number of foreign players outside the Premier League will be ca 500. The average number is probably even less than that. Compared to the 11 million British players you refer to it is not a lot.

I am quite sure the smaller clubs will get along with the new rules, but it is once again a disadvantage to clubs running on tight budgets. In the same way as FFP, this favours the bigger clubs, and it is becoming even harder for smaller clubs to overachieve.

One way for small clubs to work themselves out of the FFP constraints and climb the league ladder is to pick up cheap gems and sell them with big profit. If the geographical hunting ground for new gems will be drastically reduced, this reduces the chance of clubs like Brentford, which has executed this business model successfully. Under the new rules Brentford could not have signed Benrahma (sold for £26m) and Maupay (sold for £22m), provided I understand the new rules correctly.

The new model is probably good news to younger British players in general, but it is not good news to small clubs like Brentford and QPR.

Comment

Originally posted by QPROslo View Post
              If the 72 clubs outside the Premier League have 6 foreign players each, the total number of foreign players outside the Premier League will be ca 500. The average number is probably even less than that. Compared to the 11 million British players you refer to it is not a lot.

I am quite sure the smaller clubs will get along with the new rules, but it is once again a disadvantage to clubs running on tight budgets. In the same way as FFP, this favours the bigger clubs, and it is becoming even harder for smaller clubs to overachieve.

One way for small clubs to work themselves out of the FFP constraints and climb the league ladder is to pick up cheap gems and sell them with big profit. If the geographical hunting ground for new gems will be drastically reduced, this reduces the chance of clubs like Brentford, which has executed this business model successfully. Under the new rules Brentford could not have signed Benrahma (sold for £26m) and Maupay (sold for £22m), provided I understand the new rules correctly.

The new model is probably good news to younger British players in general, but it is not good news to small clubs like Brentford and QPR.
              99.9% of the 11,000,000 do not earn a penny from playing football in England, they vast majority play for a pub side or their school.

Comment

Originally posted by cross it Dave View Post
                https://www.thefa.com/news/2015/jun/...all-in-england

According to the FA in 2015, an incredible 11,000,000 English people were playing Football in England, I can’t imagine it is much different in 2021, Covid barring.
                Roughly 1 in 5 people in England play football? I find that rather hard to believe

Comment

Originally posted by Undecided View Post

Roughly 1 in 5 people in England play football? I find that rather hard to believe
                  So did I Undecided, I was amazed when I read it, I wonder if someone counted them all.

To be fair to the FA, there are a lot more girls & women playing football today, but 11 million, blimey.

Comment

Originally posted by cross it Dave View Post

So did I Undecided, I was amazed when I read it, I wonder if someone counted them all.

To be fair to the FA, there are a lot more girls & women playing football today, but 11 million, blimey.
                    Maybe that includes pub teams and children's clubs, in which case not so amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by QPROslo View Post
                      I took some time to study the new UK point based immigration system for foreign football players post Brexit. It is a very complex system and it is not easy to get a good understanding of all details. But as far as I understand, smaller clubs on limited budget will find it hard to import players from abroad, as the kind of players smaller clubs can afford won't have enough points to qualify for a working licence.

Players such as Faurlin, Buszacky, Helguson, Polter, Leinstner Gorkks, Luongo and many other could not be signed under the new rules.

Being a Norwegian I find some interest in the fact Solskjær could not be signed by Man U as a manager. The new rules pretty much eliminate all foreign managers to follow Warburton, as those we can afford will not have enough points. We are bound to look domestically.

I think this is once again rules that fit the bigger clubs that can afford players with sufficient points. Small clubs running on limited budget will hardly be able to look abroad. Foreign players have added spice to QPR and many of the great names from the past are foreign - it is sad this will be history, but important that peoples wish for tight regulation of immigration is respected, as I understand this was an important part of the Brexit decision.
                      I think its mainly youth teams that would be affected as english teams cant sign anyone foreign under the age of 18 now, I dont forsee much difference in terms of first teams.

Comment

Originally posted by ConorQPR2000 View Post

I think its mainly youth teams that would be affected as english teams cant sign anyone foreign under the age of 18 now, I dont forsee much difference in terms of first teams.
                        Have you taken time to read the concrete rules, Conor? It is pretty clear this is for all ages.

Comment

Working...
                        X