Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Academy Category one or not ?

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/...does-it-matter

The move will be a big upgrade from the current facility in Harlington, despite significant money having been spent by the club on the gym, pitches, changing and medical facilities over the last five years.

Rangers’ academy currently operates as a category two system.

Do we need a Category one ?

I thought that these were just tax dodges and funding loopholes for rich prem clubs? I have a lazy mentality so if I were in charge I'd not bother with any youth set-up and simply steal/pillage younger players from other clubs or just field men.
    It's hard to see us ever keeping hold of a promising 15-year old so I find it difficult to see how the economics stack up.

Comment

Originally posted by Abseits View Post
      I thought that these were just tax dodges and funding loopholes for rich prem clubs? I have a lazy mentality so if I were in charge I'd not bother with any youth set-up and simply steal/pillage younger players from other clubs or just field men.
      It's hard to see us ever keeping hold of a promising 15-year old so I find it difficult to see how the economics stack up.
      But I assume the academy includes the U23s where Eze played through and where our mini Rooney is now. So it's still a great attraction for any player wanting to join us, even for the prem lads we pick up. Not sure what the different categories are but they wont be changing in an old caravan like I did back in the day.

Comment

But Eze proves my point. He's a product of Millwall academy.... We just picked him up after they binned him and we gave him a man's contract.

Comment

Originally posted by Abseits View Post
          But Eze proves my point. He's a product of Millwall academy.... We just picked him up after they binned him and we gave him a man's contract.
          But do the U23s where he played still come under the Academy structure? I thought they did based on compo arrangements when players leave before 24yrs old - like the BOS situation.

Comment

Academy is 9-18. A lot of clubs get their paws on them younger than 9 via things called "scholarships" and such like. It's a murky world in my view and there are moral questions as well as economic ones to look at.

Comment

Working...
            X