The Indicators of Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Indicators of Change

I was thinking about the things that happen in a normal lead up to a manager getting the heave -ho.

This is my take on them and my estimate of how important they are....

1) Unrest amongst fans on social media - pretty meaningless. Just noise really. 4% chance of removing manager.

2) Unrest amongst fans on dedicated club forums - not any impact. Easy to ignore. 4.75% chance of removing manager.

3) Grumblings from the stands at matches - obviously irrelevant right now but still pretty harmless even during non-covid times. 6% chance of removing manager.

4) Concerted widespread chanting for manager's head at game - applies some heat. Embarrassing for hierarchy, a shot across the bows. 10.3% chance of removing manager.

5) Chucking season ticket onto pitch from top deck of SA Stand - Fantastic! Definitely applies pressure. Can be construed as aimed at players though. 11.7% chance of removing manager.

6) Having a rant on a radio phone-in - Questionable, is he a lone nutter? Does reach a lot of ears though. 11.8% chance of removing manager.

7) A mob going to players' entrance after game and demanding manager be sacked. Deffo raises the stakes but can be dismissed as "not real fans". 12.5% chance of removing manager.

8) Reports from credible sources that manager has "lost the dressing room". Now we're talking! It's probably now a case of when he's going, not if. 54% chance of removing manager.

9) C,mon... you know this one.... The Chairman's Vote of Confidence. Game Over!! Gone within 48hrs. 95% chance of removing manager.

Looking at the above I'd say Warburton is going nowhere. There's no credible groundswell against him - many fans content to give him more time. Right now he's 4.5% likely to get launched.

Losing every game is gotta be 100%

Comment

I could take it or leave it if Warbs was relieved of his duties at some point but have a think about this . Hall , Wells , Hugil , Eze , Manning , Bos , Wallace ,Amos all left or unavailable. Not to mention Leistner, Pugh and Scowen . Massive turn over of players in such a short space of time and much of it out of Warbs hands .I doubt any club has had to deal with that kind of disruption.you can also add the loss of the experience of Rangel to that list also .

Comment

I remember my mate's dad must have chucked his season ticket book onto pitch about half a dozen times in 1979ish. 6 times he had to do the sheepish walk of shame to box office on Monday morning to ask for it back. I can't even remember who manager(s) were...... Docherty? Mullery? Burtenshaw? Christ, we've had some corkers haven't we!?

Comment

Originally posted by Abseits View Post
          I remember my mate's dad must have chucked his season ticket book onto pitch about half a dozen times in 1979ish. 6 times he had to do the sheepish walk of shame to box office on Monday morning to ask for it back. I can't even remember who manager(s) were...... Docherty? Mullery? Burtenshaw? Christ, we've had some corkers haven't we!?
          Mullery was 84/85 , after Venables , what a nightmare .

Comment

Yes Tommy Docherty in 79 if memory serves me right until El Tel came in abt Oct 80 ish? He brought in Stainrod, Woods, Fenwick, Flanagan and we were a different team after that. Even beating the then champions of Div 1 (Championship now) 3-0 on Boxing Day at Loftus road!

Comment

Yes, I remember the arrival of Venables well and the instant turnaround in form. However, anyone replacing Warburton will have to work with the current squad until at least January, unless he signs some out of work players. Pato and Balotelli are available. ..only joking about signing those unless they want to play in the Championship for £3-5k pw.

Comment

I was thinking about the things that happen in a normal lead up to a manager getting the heave -ho.

This is my take on them and my estimate of how important they are....

1) Unrest amongst fans on social media - pretty meaningless. Just noise really. 4% chance of removing manager.

2) Unrest amongst fans on dedicated club forums - not any impact. Easy to ignore. 4.75% chance of removing manager.

3) Grumblings from the stands at matches - obviously irrelevant right now but still pretty harmless even during non-covid times. 6% chance of removing manager.

4) Concerted widespread chanting for manager's head at game - applies some heat. Embarrassing for hierarchy, a shot across the bows. 10.3% chance of removing manager.

5) Chucking season ticket onto pitch from top deck of SA Stand - Fantastic! Definitely applies pressure. Can be construed as aimed at players though. 11.7% chance of removing manager.

6) Having a rant on a radio phone-in - Questionable, is he a lone nutter? Does reach a lot of ears though. 11.8% chance of removing manager.

7) A mob going to players' entrance after game and demanding manager be sacked. Deffo raises the stakes but can be dismissed as "not real fans". 12.5% chance of removing manager.

8) Reports from credible sources that manager has "lost the dressing room". Now we're talking! It's probably now a case of when he's going, not if. 54% chance of removing manager.

9) C,mon... you know this one.... The Chairman's Vote of Confidence. Game Over!! Gone within 48hrs. 95% chance of removing manager.

Looking at the above I'd say Warburton is going nowhere. There's no credible groundswell against him - many fans content to give him more time. Right now he's 4.5% likely to get launched.
                100% chance of us having a #### season if we continue to pick Barbet, Wallace and Cameron all in the starting 11. If that happens then its safe to say we will be looking for a new manager again.

And judging by Les' poor choices when it comes to choosing a manger then we will be having the same conversation in another 2 years time. If the manager goes then Les should go to. Along with the rest of our great coaching staff who have produced nothing apart from Eze.

Comment

Originally posted by Dono77 View Post

100% chance of us having a #### season if we continue to pick Barbet, Wallace and Cameron all in the starting 11. If that happens then its safe to say we will be looking for a new manager again.

And judging by Les' poor choices when it comes to choosing a manger then we will be having the same conversation in another 2 years time. If the manager goes then Les should go to. Along with the rest of our great coaching staff who have produced nothing apart from Eze.
                  I bet quality managers were queuing around the block to take the Qpr job over the last few years . No budget and had to sell all our top earners .Even Gary Rowett turned us down twice .

Comment

Originally posted by Stainrod View Post
                    I could take it or leave it if Warbs was relieved of his duties at some point but have a think about this . Hall , Wells , Hugil , Eze , Manning , Bos , Wallace ,Amos all left or unavailable. Not to mention Leistner, Pugh and Scowen . Massive turn over of players in such a short space of time and much of it out of Warbs hands .I doubt any club has had to deal with that kind of disruption.you can also add the loss of the experience of Rangel to that list also .
                    Yes and that's why he needs more time. A new team and players just going into first team football or stepping up in level.

Without any loans we should go into next season only requiring minor changes without the the massive turnover of players we've become used to first the last three summers.

I'm still not concerned about relegation- we might end up in the bottom six but will just have enough time to stay up. Next season will be when we'll stabilise as a team and become a top half team.

Comment

Working...
                    X