Kudos to MW, Les, Lee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post

Did Thompson sell those players to draw on the profits personally?

Or were those players sold and the money used to pay off debt caused by high player wages and buy other players that were not good enough?

Thompson lining his pockets eh?
    What high wages?
    QPR probably paid between £2-3k pw wages at best. It was only after relegation that Chris Wright upped the wages of players like Spencer and Peacock. Sheron then became QPR's biggest earner at £6k pw.

I dont think he lined his own pockets, but he wasn't willing to invest in improving the squad to take QPR up another level. I'm not suggesting multi millions like Blackburn (although our squad was not far off from theirs) so only needed around £7-10m to have the squad to challenge for the title.

Truth is the Thompsons had no real interest in owning QPR , but inherited the club by default.

Comment

Originally posted by davman View Post

... Or he needed to balance the books. The fact that hasn't changed is that we have a small income for a top flight. The thing that HAS changed is the income of the top clubs - it was a gulf, it's now a yawning chasm.

Those Prem years showed one thing that is still valid about this approach - the margins are such that get one re-investment wrong, or stop any conveyer belt of incoming talent to polish and that's it, nowhere to turn to. But, to compete, where your owners have either run out of money or do not want to spend anymore, this is the only way we can generate income.

Thompson was a business man. I suspect, but do not know, that he didn't make a profit on QPR. Although it looked like we were one or two away from seriously challenging back in the day, why did he have to throw those business basics out of the window and overspend?
      As you said, one or two players from seriously challenging. That wouldnt have cost Thompson much and winning the title would have brought bigger prize money, full stadiums, more Tv appearances with more money coming in.

Also, could have kept the club in the Premiership and who knows, Abramovic might have bought QPR instead of Chelsea. The Thompsons would have gotten their money back and even turned in a profit if he had.

Comment

We look to the future now & not the past as it’s history, up & coming future looks promising If we carry on the way we are doing things at present & have got the right people in to do it, although some might not agree!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffqpr View Post
          We look to the future now & not the past as it’s history, up & coming future looks promising If we carry on the way we are doing things at present & have got the right people in to do it, although some might not agree!
          This about says it all.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffqpr View Post
            I agree !

Comment

Originally posted by jeffqpr View Post
              we look to the future now & not the past as it’s history, up & coming future looks promising if we carry on the way we are doing things at present & have got the right people in to do it, although some might not agree!
              amen
              awoman
              anotsure

Comment

Originally posted by stanistheman View Post

As you said, one or two players from seriously challenging. That wouldnt have cost Thompson much and winning the title would have brought bigger prize money, full stadiums, more Tv appearances with more money coming in.

Also, could have kept the club in the Premiership and who knows, Abramovic might have bought QPR instead of Chelsea. The Thompsons would have gotten their money back and even turned in a profit if he had.
                You might not believe me, but if the Russian had bought us and not that lot, I think I'd have been long gone. Prefer to be us than that Plastic, horrible club ta very much.

Thompson was not stupid. A couple of £1m+ signings may have made a difference (not a given by any stretch) or it would have cost him a few million with no benefit. When it's not YOUR money, it's easy to say how it should have been gambled; clearly, he didn't agree...

Comment

Working...
                X