Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For You Young ones

https://gameofthepeople.com/2020/08/...6-liverpool-2/

IN THE closing weeks of the 1975-76 season, most people expected Queens Park Rangers, rather than Liverpool, would win the Football League Championship. The London side had made the running for most of the campaign, playing a progressive brand of football that was heavily influenced by the great Dutch national side of the period.

If it was 3 points for a win and most goals scored we would of been champions.
    Also if we had drawn 3-3 with Norwich we would of been champions.
    I will never get over it.

Comment

Me too. One of my earliest memories was that final Liverpool match and how gutted I was at the end.

Comment

https://gameofthepeople.com/2020/08/...rs-of-1975-76/

QPR was an unfashionable club, despite its proximity to the BBC, but in 1975, “the superhoops” represented the best that London had to offer. Arsenal, just four years on from their memorable double, were in decline; Tottenham, now without legendary manager Bill Nicholson, had struggled to replace an ageing team; and Chelsea were languishing in Division Two.........

Comment

And I was getting married that year, and buying a new build.

So I rationed myself to cup games only.

Our performance in the cups however failed to match our success in the league, and I didn't get to witness many matches.

Comment

I remember it well,think I was about 13 at the time .Liverpool had the unfair advantage of playing their final game after ours,we certainly gave them a run for their money

Comment

Originally posted by spogs View Post
              If it was 3 points for a win and most goals scored we would of been champions.
              Also if we had drawn 3-3 with Norwich we would of been champions.
              I will never get over it.
              And the Norwich 3rd goal was clearly offside.

Comment

Yes it was offside.
                I've often thought if I was ever to write a book it would be called "What do you do, when you've had the greatest day of your live, aged 11".
                I was 11 when we won the League Cup at Wembley in 1967!

Comment

I have detested both Liverpool and Norwich since that day.

Comment

Originally posted by stanistheman View Post
                    I have detested both Liverpool and Norwich since that day.
                    And Wolves for not putting in a shift

Comment

i've detested sheff utd since, for getting a poxy nil nil draw up there, and getting a good hiding after the game.

Comment

Originally posted by LoftusRoadLad View Post

And Wolves for not putting in a shift
                        No, they were fighting relegation and took the lead which they held on to until late in the game.

Comment

No, they were fighting relegation and took the lead which they held on to until late in the game.
                          Ment till the end

Comment

Originally posted by LoftusRoadLad View Post

Ment till the end
                            Still, I can’t blame them for not being good enough to save themselves from relegation though.
                            Norwich on the other hand had nothing to play for but won with an offside goal. One of their players even punched Bowles yet didn’t get a red card.

Comment

Still, I can’t blame them for not being good enough to save themselves from relegation though.
                              Norwich on the other hand had nothing to play for but won with an offside goal. One of their players even punched Bowles yet didn’t get a red card.
                              Was there. Probably the worst away game ever for mood coming home.

Comment

Working...
                              X