Willie Clark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Willie Clark

Hi, Probably not a lot of people on the forum will remember back to the mid 1950's. Anyway, my dad was Willie Clark who was a centre forward for The R's from 53-56. Unfortunately, he left us in 2006 (Alzheimer's) and, as you do, I am wishing I'd asked him a lot more questions about his life. Thought I'd see if anyone has any information or memories from his time at Queen's Park Rangers they can share with me. Cheers, Martin

Hi Martin , a bit before my time mate but hopefully you can find someone across many of the QPR forums that could help you with some information.Have you tried contacting the club , they may be able to direct you to a club historian .Good luck and you should be proud of your dad as I’m sure you are .

Comment

95 appearances and 32 goals is all I can currently find, but I am guessing you may already know that.
      Minds Are Like Parachutes.
      Work Best When Open...
      @Nowt2SeeHere

Comment

Back row, 4th from the left?Willie clark.jpg
        Minds Are Like Parachutes.
        Work Best When Open...
        @Nowt2SeeHere

Comment

I was just a kid when he played for us. He was, though, considered a 'significant signing' when he joined from Peterhead. When he joined we were 22nd in the old 3rd Division South, 2 points of re election. After his arrival we had two 5-1 Home wins and won all our remaining Home games that season. He left us start of 56/57 season and joined Berwick Rangers.

Comment

Thanks all. Am finding a few things as we go. Also managed to buy a signature of his from 1954.

Comment

Originally posted by Clarkmartin View Post
              Hi, Probably not a lot of people on the forum will remember back to the mid 1950's. Anyway, my dad was Willie Clark who was a centre forward for The R's from 53-56. Unfortunately, he left us in 2006 (Alzheimer's) and, as you do, I am wishing I'd asked him a lot more questions about his life. Thought I'd see if anyone has any information or memories from his time at Queen's Park Rangers they can share with me. Cheers, Martin
              reach out to Clive on LFW - he’s well connected and will def know somebody who can help with you research.

Comment

Originally posted by Northolt_Rs View Post

reach out to Clive on LFW - he’s well connected and will def know somebody who can help with you research.
                ... and us regulars at LoftForWords (in case you couldn't work out what LFW means) are probably of the right vintage, although I know nothing about the 50s. Although even though I was born in 1971, the 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s and the 10s are a bit hazy...

Comment

Originally posted by Clarkmartin View Post
                  With 32 goals in 95 appearances his stats are a lot better than all the strikers we've been linked with recently. He must have been a cracking player and I hope you find out more information. The MB below might provide more information as the guy who runs it seems to be a bit of an historian.

https://qprreport.proboards.com

Comment

I do know the adults wondered why he left believing that he just wanted to go back to Scotland but then a year later he landed up at Cheltenham.

Comment

Hi Martin,

Post your question in the forum on www.indyrs.co.uk.

Comment

Originally posted by Northolt_Rs View Post

Comment

Steve Russell and the posters over at http://www.indyrs.co.uk/'s tend to be older and some have watched the R's back in the 50's

Comment

This was posted on IndyRs a couple of months ago

http://www.indyrs.co.uk/2020/07/reme...s-day-in-2006/

Comment

Originally posted by Kitman View Post
                              This was posted on IndyRs a couple of months ago

http://www.indyrs.co.uk/2020/07/reme...s-day-in-2006/
                              Great report.

Comment

Working...
                              X