Top six finish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top six finish

Some fans seem to think a top six finish is beyond reach.

Well, I am a half glass ful kind of supporter and I like to think the chances are better than we keep getting told. Most betting companies offer bets between 20/1 and 25/1 indicating the chance is 4-5%. which is admittedly very slim. But the joy of supporting your team is obviously the hope that we always carry with us, and I think the chance is better than the odds justify.

If you rank the teams we are facing in the remaining nine matches according their present league table position only Millwall has an easier fixture list than us. We are facing 5 of the 6 bottom clubs: Barsnley, Charlton, Middlesbrough, Wigan and Luton. I know teams near the bottom can be tough to deal with when they smell relegation, but there is a reason why these clubs are where they are. I consider all these five matches very winnable. Recently we have done well against teams below us, even though there are exeptions of course (yes, we remember Barnsley that put five behind us)

The four others matches are against Sheff W, Fulham, Millwall and WBA. I hope WBA have secured direct promotion when we face them in the very last match of the season, with their league position already decided (second behind Leeds?). Hopefully they have little to play for. We face Millwall in the penultimate match and if we are lucky they won't have anything to play for, having missed out on play-off.

I see a lot of computers trying to estimate how the season will pan out. All of the algorithms conclude that the team finishing sixth will need 68 points. We have 50 points, so we need another 18, or rather another 19 as our goal difference is so poor, provided others clubs also end on 68. We might need more or less, but I think 69 is a good estimate right now.

To get to 19 points over the remaining nine matches we need six wins and a draw, alternatively 5 wins and four draws. 6-1-2 is not completely impossible, knowing we face five of the bottom clubs. If we win these five matches, which is surely not a walk in the park, we need just four points from the four other matches.

During the first nine matches of the season we had the series 5-2-2. We need to marginally better this by turning one draw into a win - then we are there.

I like to think the chances are 10% at least, if not closer to 20%. But please feel free to kill an optimist.

If we dont get Hugill's loan extended to the end of July then we are extremely light up front. Without him I suspect a play off slot is purely academic and we should use the games to blood some of the younger players for next season.

Comment

Play our best team , give it a go

Comment

Home advantage has proved to be reduced behind closed doors going on stats from bundesliga.
        We have a chance which makes the at least the first couple of games extremely interesting.

Comment

Could you imagine a behind closed doors play off final at Wembley involving QPR , would be heartbreaking not being there .

Comment

Originally posted by Stainrod View Post
            Could you imagine a behind closed doors play off final at Wembley involving QPR , would be heartbreaking not being there .
            Assuming all games including play offs get completed I doubt they would use Wembley, be just as well playing at a small stadium requiring less people being involved.
            If we could win our first 2 games after restart I would say we are contenders for play offs.

Comment

Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post
              If we dont get Hugill's loan extended to the end of July then we are extremely light up front. Without him I suspect a play off slot is purely academic and we should use the games to blood some of the younger players for next season.
              I agree Hugill is very important. My optimism is built on us finding a way to extend loan deals and keep out of contract players for the remaining nine matches.

Comment

i think we could hit the top six
                Click here to view my blog.

More...

Comment

Imo the games will be difficult to predict as they will not have played any real football for 3 months and so will have a very 'pre season' feel about them. The players will not be match fit or have any match practice under their belts ( unless they get some fixtures set up for the next 2 weeks).

Also unless contracts are extended for some players they might not be eligible to play so anything can happen and top 6 is acheiveable but so is a slump in results.

Comment

I just don't see our squad as having the experience and fortitude needed to win a series of games with the pressure cranking up with each fixture. Do you honestly see us winning 7 of last 9 - that's what it'll realistically take to overhaul the teams below 5th place.

Comment

Originally posted by Abseits View Post
                      I just don't see our squad as having the experience and fortitude needed to win a series of games with the pressure cranking up with each fixture. Do you honestly see us winning 7 of last 9 - that's what it'll realistically take to overhaul the teams below 5th place.
                      So lets rather just give up right away than giving it a go. That's the attitude we should have!

Comment

Originally posted by Abseits View Post
                        Tbh it could all be so unpredictable if squads are effected by contracts and with the lack of match fitness and sharpness, that anything can happen. Although yes, I don't see our squad as having enough to make up the gap, but let's see what happens.

Comment

Think a top half finish is a realistic target but is Hugill goes back to West Han its would be very difficult as we dont have any senior strikers

Comment

Originally posted by QPROslo View Post

So lets rather just give up right away than giving it a go. That's the attitude we should have!
                            Who said give up? I presume team has been "giving it a go all season" and currently we are 13th in table having lost more games than we've won - I don't think "giving it a go" is achieving anything. Maybe we could try "taking each game as it comes" instead?

Comment

Can see results going out the window , it's how and who adapts quickly. Anyone can and will beat anyone .

Comment

Working...
                              X