Arsenal away in the 80s...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arsenal away in the 80s...

I am the former poster 'bushkangaroo' writing from down under. forgot login details and have a newer computer so have re-registered. Anyone remember the game at Highbury (must have been in the 80s) when about 50 or more Rs went in the North Bank before they were led around the pitch to join the larger group of our fans? Can't remember the score or year (must have been half-pissed as usual).

Don't remember that.
    I remember the uefa Cup tie v partizan Belgrade when rangers were allocated North Bank, gooners weren't happy and had about 50 - 100 at the back, lots of fighting ensued

Comment

Originally posted by Bangonthedrum View Post
      I am the former poster 'bushkangaroo' writing from down under. forgot login details and have a newer computer so have re-registered. Anyone remember the game at Highbury (must have been in the 80s) when about 50 or more Rs went in the North Bank before they were led around the pitch to join the larger group of our fans? Can't remember the score or year (must have been half-pissed as usual).
      Believe it was 84 and we won 2-0.
      From the clock end it looked like from the surge that we were having a go, in reality, we got kicked from the top to the bottom, and then got pulled onto pitch and got to make the walk down the touchline to the clock end to a very warm welcome.
      The plan prior to the game, was to go in in small groups and meet up at the back.
      The group I was in, was only about 15 strong, OB caught a few of the other groups and refused them entry, the really tall ginger guy in our group didn't care and started shouting where's your famous gooners as we walked across the top from left to right.
      For a few moments it looked like we was getting away with it, until we got to the last section, and that's where we found their famous gooners (for those too young to remember, gooners back then were Arsenals firm, not just a regular fan).
      Before anyone says anything, I am not promoting fv, and back then I was a kid and knew no better.

Kangaroo, if you want us to help get you into your original account, use the contact us link and we would be happy to oblige
      Minds Are Like Parachutes.
      Work Best When Open...
      @Nowt2SeeHere

Comment

Remember this well , there was always lots going on with the gooners in the 80s .Fenwick and Ian Stewart scored that day in a famous 2 0 win . It went mental outside after as well.

Comment

My memory is shocking, particularly for dates/years but 80s were fantastic generally. Football wasnt fashionable back then so vast majority of fans at games were normal Herberts who didnt mind a bit of rowdiness. I remember CS gas going off on the platform at Arsenal station and some fans legging into tunnel to avoid the gas and escape getting a slap.
          Those Euro games at Highbury were embarrassing and best forgotten..... werent crowds about 3000? We looked ridiculous sprinkled about the North Bank.

Comment

Originally posted by Abseits View Post
            My memory is shocking, particularly for dates/years but 80s were fantastic generally. Football wasnt fashionable back then so vast majority of fans at games were normal Herberts who didnt mind a bit of rowdiness. I remember CS gas going off on the platform at Arsenal station and some fans legging into tunnel to avoid the gas and escape getting a slap.
            Those Euro games at Highbury were embarrassing and best forgotten..... werent crowds about 3000? We looked ridiculous sprinkled about the North Bank.
            Your right about the 80s , it was always lively and police were pretty clueless to it .As I said Arsenal was always lively , Spurs also and rivalries with Luton ,Oxford and Forest meant there was always plenty going on .

Comment

If you were game in the 80's everyone new "the tall ginger guy" very game like me. I knew him very well but won't name him.
              never really got into the middle of the NB. Outside on the left looking form the clock end.

Comment

Originally posted by gr1 View Post
                If you were game in the 80's everyone new "the tall ginger guy" very game like me. I knew him very well but won't name him.
                never really got into the middle of the NB. Outside on the left looking form the clock end.
                The ginger guy was a regular back then.
                Remember him turning up in the Loft one time with his leg in a cast. He managed to draw a Nike swoosh on the side of his cast
                Minds Are Like Parachutes.
                Work Best When Open...
                @Nowt2SeeHere

Comment

I knew Denton from parties, he was only a teenager but already Arsenal's TB , met him years later at acid house RIP

Comment

Originally posted by 72bus View Post
                    I knew Denton from parties, he was only a teenager but already Arsenal's TB , met him years later at acid house RIP
                    He was a bit of a bully at times.

He used to put it on young small groups.

Knew him through the music scene & was a well respected fella over there.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy Floyd Rabbit View Post

He was a bit of a bully at times.

He used to put it on young small groups.

Knew him through the music scene & was a well respected fella over there.
                      Did u know Barratt , Samsom and Andy gray ?

Comment

I remember that came down the pig & whistle pub in Latimer Road in the 80s 2 train loads about 100 Ladbroke Grove give it to them well that was until the 2nd train pulled in lol . After the game we had a bout 2oo waiting on Ladbroke Grove platform for them you should off seen the fear on there faces when the doors opened
                        You Rsssssss

Comment

Working...
                        X