FFP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill View Post

You have to be ambitious though otherwise motivation goes out the window.
    I think football is at a huge crossroads at the moment in terms of FFP, money,fans value for money,var which is crazy in its present form,players wages,contracts,standing areas,fit and proper people,corruption,drug use the list is endless.

The authorities throughout the world at national and international level need to get a grip
    Try and define ambition.
    Without a bigger stadium and fan base we will find it very hard to compete in the premier league. I didnt like the money we were throwing around on player contracts when we were there last. I'm happy for our ambitions to be to create a team from players mainly brought through the ranks and having a go at the top 10 in the championship. I detest the premiership and really dont want our club to have anything to do with that circus.

Comment

If we did ever manage to make the premier league again I would hope we would do things differently. I would prefer us to do what Norwich are doing , stick with the team that gets promoted, don’t spend anything and If we get relegated so be it we get relegated with all the premier league money in the bank to invest in our Young players coming through again .

Comment

Originally posted by Stainrod View Post
        If we did ever manage to make the premier league again I would hope we would do things differently. I would prefer us to do what Norwich are doing , stick with the team that gets promoted, don’t spend anything and If we get relegated so be it we get relegated with all the premier league money in the bank to invest in our Young players coming through again .
        Agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by Stainrod View Post
          Totally agree with that even if we get smashed every week.

Comment

Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post

Agreed.
            Blimey you changed your mind quick

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post

Blimey you changed your mind quick
              Not really. Dont like it, but I'd we go up dont join the circus. Still happy as a championship club.

Comment

Originally posted by QPROslo View Post

We never got a fine of £42m. It is strange that this misinformation seems to pop up again and again. We were fined £17m and had to pay FAs legal costs of £3m, so totally £20m. Moreover, we are allowed to pay it based on interest free installments over 10 years so the net present value isn't more than £15-16m, depending on what discount factor is used.

On top of this the owners were asked to convert some debt to equity, but that is something they have done over and over again anyway and it would had to be done independent of any decision by FA and can not be considered a penalty and not even a cost.

More importantly, the penalty does not count towards future FFP calculations, so has absolutely no impact on the clubs financial situation or our present financial restrictions.

All in all I think we have nothing to complain about. However, what is annoying is that other clubs seems to get away with selling their stadiums at inflated prices to cover over their FFP breaches. However, it will come back and haunt them every single future season as they have to pay annual rent for the stadium which limits their future maneuvering inside the FFP boundaries.

When it comes to Man City the tiny penalty of £25m is not what matters. I agree it should have been at least ten times bigger, but it is nevertheless peanut money for sheikhs. It the exclusion from the Champion League that hurts. Man City will now find it increasingly hard to attract the best players, as these players will not consider signing for Man City due to the club not playing in Champion League. Some of the existing players will want to move on for the same reason. Once the revenue from Champions League will not materialize, the FFP rules means that Man Cities transfer budget will be severely affected. Look at Man U - cannot sign the best players, simply because potential new signings don't find Man U attractive enough as long as Champions League is not a certainty and because the club doesn't earn enough any longer to really compete with the best. I would not be surprised if Man City drops out of top 4 next year as a result of this. It can be the end of Man City as one of Europe's top clubs. That's the real penalty.

The comparison with Man Utd is far from right. You say they don't earn enough now to compete with the best for signings.... They are still one of the top earning and valued football teams and sports brand in general in the world who make crazy money from sponsorship merchandising. Not long ago were still stated the highest valued football club. Of course no Champions league football makes it harder to attract some top players, but the revenue loss from it doesn't stop them competing for signings, hence their wage bill is insane and one of the highest in Europe. The likes of Sanchez coming of £500k a week. He's been loaned out this season, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're still paying £350k / week of his wages, which is probably more than any other club in the prem pays their top earners, bar possibly City and that's for a player not even playing for them... it sums them up. No doubt Pogba's on insane money too after they signed him for a world record fee at the time, and De Gea is the highest paid keeper in world football, plus they only in the summer broke the world record fee for a defender.... make no mistake their finances aren't an issue.

As for City, they've clearly been fiddling the numbers over the years as to where the money comes from, suggesting revenue from sponsors rather than owner payments, because they have never been a big club globally so a million miles away from the likes of Utd, Madrid, Barca etc, and they've never done well in the champions league, yet have been paying massive wages and signing top players for years. But that being said their owners have bottomless pockets and I have no doubt once this goes to the independent review at the court of arbitration their deep pockets will get it overturned and the worst they'll get will be a suspended ban, which ultimately won't see them miss out on any European football.

Comment

Originally posted by Del View Post

The comparison with Man Utd is far from right. You say they don't earn enough now to compete with the best for signings.... They are still one of the top earning and valued football teams and sports brand in general in the world who make crazy money from sponsorship merchandising. Not long ago were still stated the highest valued football club. Of course no Champions league football makes it harder to attract some top players, but the revenue loss from it doesn't stop them competing for signings, hence their wage bill is insane and one of the highest in Europe. The likes of Sanchez coming of £500k a week. He's been loaned out this season, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're still paying £350k / week of his wages, which is probably more than any other club in the prem pays their top earners, bar possibly City and that's for a player not even playing for them... it sums them up. No doubt Pogba's on insane money too after they signed him for a world record fee at the time, and De Gea is the highest paid keeper in world football, plus they only in the summer broke the world record fee for a defender.... make no mistake their finances aren't an issue.

As for City, they've clearly been fiddling the numbers over the years as to where the money comes from, suggesting revenue from sponsors rather than owner payments, because they have never been a big club globally so a million miles away from the likes of Utd, Madrid, Barca etc, and they've never done well in the champions league, yet have been paying massive wages and signing top players for years. But that being said their owners have bottomless pockets and I have no doubt once this goes to the independent review at the court of arbitration their deep pockets will get it overturned and the worst they'll get will be a suspended ban, which ultimately won't see them miss out on any European football.
                  Yes i am inclined to agree with you,money talks and all that.

I hope they do uphold the ban as they have obviously been inventive with their accounting.

Will be intersting to see what happens.

Comment

I might be a cynic but I don't think any City players will actually give a toss about not being in the Champions League. All they care about is their £300K per week. Yeah, players move to big clubs citing the fact they want to "win things" but I think that's a smokescreen cos the big clubs pay the biggest wages...... They're basically joining City or whoever for the huge pay packet but can hide that fact behind the supposed desire to win things.
                    City players, or more likely their agents, will huff and puff about "needing to play in Europe" but that'll just be them agitating for a pay hike or an invite to PSG to come sniffing.... Ultimately I'm convinced a player faced with a 45 game season of domestic games only OR 45 plus several games involving schlepping to all corners of Europe would prefer the easy option (providing the wages are the same of course).

Comment

Working...
                    X