No announcement yet.

Style of play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1. Wouldnt drop Manning, odd call that'd be. He's been arguably our best player. Especially with his assets.
    2. It's similar to last season in which we was on a good run now until Christmas, that said we started awful last year then again only won 3 time from Jan until the end of the season.

It's hard to compare as you never know, it may happen again. It's strange as to why we are conceding as many. Too many pens, thats for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by qpr4life View Post
      1. Wouldnt drop Manning, odd call that'd be. He's been arguably our best player. Especially with his assets.
      2. It's similar to last season in which we was on a good run now until Christmas, that said we started awful last year then again only won 3 time from Jan until the end of the season.

It's hard to compare as you never know, it may happen again. It's strange as to why we are conceding as many. Too many pens, thats for sure.
      We are conceding because we are so open with our attacking play, but also maybe because our goalkeepers have not been great. However, there really isn't any need to moan about what we have seen so far. We are being entertained for sure and picking up points along the way.

Comment

Originally posted by stanistheman View Post

We are conceding because we are so open with our attacking play, but also maybe because our goalkeepers have not been great. However, there really isn't any need to moan about what we have seen so far. We are being entertained for sure and picking up points along the way.

I'm Happy with where we are.

I wasnt sure if we'd be in a dog fight from day one or picking up the occasional win. Right now we're in the promotion chase, which is incredible.

Had we got the CB we may well have been looking in further ahead, who knows. Perhaps that's why MW actually saved his dosh for one. Either way, we're doing more than we expected.

Not sure it's just down to GK's personally.

Comment

Our bad form last year coincided with long term injuries to Angel, Cameron, Hemed and Luongo not available

It’s as simple as that in my view. We didn’t have the back up to cope without 4 key players

Comment

manning been good , wells been great look at the shift he puts in... eze fabulous in patches but would like to see him a further up the field. chair great effort

Comment

I agree manning has been very good but defensively he's not great. Wallace was brought in by Warburton to be first choice left back and I think he will put him in soon enough. Wallace was prob told he would be getting regular game time after missing so many at rangers in last 2 years. He didn't move all the way to London to sit and watch a midfielder keep his spot. Not saying Ryan should be dropped at all but I reckon Wallace will be put in sooner rather than later. Only way both may play will be if Wallace plays in back 3 with manning left wing back.

Comment

Originally posted by Dono77 View Post
                I'd stick Wallace in now and pray hall stays fit but that won't happen. So we are stuck with barbet until next year when hopefully we try again for McKenna.
                Barbet looks a good player to me.
                Happy to be "stuck" with him tbh.

Comment

Difference between last season and under Ollie is this team seem happy, full of confidence and are properly allowed to express themselves. Under SM very defensive and at times painful to watch trying to go forwards. Under Ollie complete chaos most of the time.

The true test will be when we do go on a bad run how MW pulls it around. I have a sneaky feeling he will as so many of the players seem genuinely happy to be here and love the style of play. Both his predecessors struggled to turn things around after bad runs.

The team seems to be in the right place and it has been a depressing number of years since I last thought that.

Comment

Originally posted by FurtiveFox View Post
                    Difference between last season and under Ollie is this team seem happy, full of confidence and are properly allowed to express themselves. Under SM very defensive and at times painful to watch trying to go forwards. Under Ollie complete chaos most of the time.

The true test will be when we do go on a bad run how MW pulls it around. I have a sneaky feeling he will as so many of the players seem genuinely happy to be here and love the style of play. Both his predecessors struggled to turn things around after bad runs.

The team seems to be in the right place and it has been a depressing number of years since I last thought that.
                    And deadwood who ran their contracts down under Olly & SM have now left the club, and those who didnt put in a shift or were not good enough have had their contracts terminated. It's too simplistic to compare previous
                    seasons with this one.

MW has done a fantastic job and some of the players he is now benefitting from were developed by previous managers and coaching staff.

Comment

Originally posted by CroydonCaptainJack View Post

Barbet looks a good player to me.
                      Happy to be "stuck" with him tbh.
                      Barbet isn't a good defender. Might look the part passing the ball around when he has time and space but defensively he's not got a clue. Seems to get caught as last man a lot which means he's too slow to see what's about to happen and has no pace to recover his error. The penalties he's given away are always showing him being caught wrong side of his man and a rushed last ditch tackle shows his lack of ability to read the game. Hall, leistner and Cameron should be our 3 centre backs. If it's 2 then hall and leistner.

Comment

Originally posted by Dono77 View Post

Barbet isn't a good defender. Might look the part passing the ball around when he has time and space but defensively he's not got a clue. Seems to get caught as last man a lot which means he's too slow to see what's about to happen and has no pace to recover his error. The penalties he's given away are always showing him being caught wrong side of his man and a rushed last ditch tackle shows his lack of ability to read the game. Hall, leistner and Cameron should be our 3 centre backs. If it's 2 then hall and leistner.
                        I think he is a good player as I said. Started badly but has got better each game.

Comment

Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post

And deadwood who ran their contracts down under Olly & SM have now left the club, and those who didnt put in a shift or were not good enough have had their contracts terminated. It's too simplistic to compare previous
                          seasons with this one.

MW has done a fantastic job and some of the players he is now benefitting from were developed by previous managers and coaching staff.
                          Is early doors but can compare. Style of play far more defined than under previous managers. Not saying it's perfect as evidenced by our lack of clean sheets but there seems a clear plan, some flexibility where needed and not afraid to change personnel around a bit.

Under SM as soon as things went sour was like a rabbit in headlights and team lost confidence quickly. Ollie no real plan. Team in the main set up poorly then whack Matt Smith on and launch balls at him. JFH no better. In fact nobody has done anything much manager wise since Warnock. All been a disappointment.

Do agree on deadwood leaving making a difference. Decks cleared for MW but have to say our summer recruitment was outstanding. Youngsters also doing well under him mainly. Nice to see Chair and Manning as regulars. Eze so far so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Mem View Post
                            Our bad form last year coincided with long term injuries to Angel, Cameron, Hemed and Luongo not available

It’s as simple as that in my view. We didn’t have the back up to cope without 4 key players
                            Hemed a key player !!!??? Can only think of about 3 games he played the full 90.

Comment

Originally posted by FurtiveFox View Post

Is early doors but can compare. Style of play far more defined than under previous managers. Not saying it's perfect as evidenced by our lack of clean sheets but there seems a clear plan, some flexibility where needed and not afraid to change personnel around a bit.

Under SM as soon as things went sour was like a rabbit in headlights and team lost confidence quickly. Ollie no real plan. Team in the main set up poorly then whack Matt Smith on and launch balls at him. JFH no better. In fact nobody has done anything much manager wise since Warnock. All been a disappointment.

Do agree on deadwood leaving making a difference. Decks cleared for MW but have to say our summer recruitment was outstanding. Youngsters also doing well under him mainly. Nice to see Chair and Manning as regulars. Eze so far so good.
                              I'm not disagreeing with, I understand the view. But under Olly we had Washy and Smith up front. The former couldnt score with the ball on the deck so you play to what you have, ip to the big man. There was a bad smell around the place and players who didnt want to play and therefore had no desire when the chips were down. They were on expensive contracts and wouldnt move, do financially there wasnt much Olly could do.

MW is doing fantastically well, the players he and Les have brought in are dojng well, and young players are now maturing into first team regulars.

Let's praise MW, but I'd rather not rubbish Olly who had a pretty sh1tty hand to play with. He kept us up, blooded 19 yrs old youngsters and the club worked out the deadwood as best they could.

All have played their part in some way or another.

Comment

Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post

I'm not disagreeing with, I understand the view. But under Olly we had Washy and Smith up front. The former couldnt score with the ball on the deck so you play to what you have, ip to the big man. There was a bad smell around the place and players who didnt want to play and therefore had no desire when the chips were down. They were on expensive contracts and wouldnt move, do financially there wasnt much Olly could do.

MW is doing fantastically well, the players he and Les have brought in are dojng well, and young players are now maturing into first team regulars.

Let's praise MW, but I'd rather not rubbish Olly who had a pretty sh1tty hand to play with. He kept us up, blooded 19 yrs old youngsters and the club worked out the deadwood as best they could.

All have played their part in some way or another.
                                I doubt we will ever agree on Ollie. Loved his first spell with us, loathed his second. Yes forwards were poor but you could argue he had Smithies in goal and players in defence like Chief and Robinson. In fact at that point Sylla was fairly highly rated at this level. It was the way he set up the team with that awful system for months on end with wing backs when we didn't have any wing backs until someone said or did something and forced a change. Mainly that system looked carp so it was chuck Smith on and long ball bit hoping for the best. The way sometimes players just looked confused as what they were meant to be doing. His weird outbursts and comments at times. Says a lot that he left over a season ago, touted his availability and has got nowhere management wise. 11 months between away wins at one stage. Those six game losing runs. Almost relegating us in his first season from a position of safety. I really don't see how he could have been much worse.

The players Ollie brought through ... Manning who then faded quite quickly. Eze had a mini run after changes had been made to style of play mainly so whether that was down to him don't know. Odd appearances for likes of Shopido and Oteh. Smyth started a small number of games then faded. Think Chair may have played once in a Cup? I just don't see him as a champion of youth. That is history reinventing itself.

Agree dressing room better and partly down to deadwood gone on nice contracts but some of that is down to the player recruitment which from the outside looks like a combination of MW and Sir Les.

Regardless of views on previous managers things looking good for first time in Uncle's reign (ok Amit now!) so hope he is enjoying it as much as me!

Comment

Working...
                                X