Fitness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitness

Is it a coincidence we seem to do worse in second half vs first half under McClaren. Do we have a fitness issue?

Preston: Drew first half, lost second half
    Sheff Utd: Drew first half, lost second half
    Peterborough: Won first half, drew second half
    West Brom: Drew first half, lost second half by six goals

In the U23 match against Forest today, with many players who trained with McClaren's first team squad during pre-season, we were winning 2-0 at the break, but went on to draw 3-3.

It is too early to conclude, but 4-5 matches start to show a trend. Holloway knew the Championship very well, had the boys running uphill during pre-season and made sure we were super fit. We often did much better in the second half than the first and were one of the most scoring clubs during the last quarter of an hour of last seasons matches.

Championship is a tough league and fitness means everything. I hope the initial trend isn't a signal that McClaren has failed to get fitness right.
    Last edited by QPROslo; 20-08-2018, 09:49 PM.

Did we not lose any games in second half before this season?

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
      Did we not lose any games in second half before this season?
      Excatly!! We did under Olli aswell.
      QPR
      Best team in the world
      Sort of

Comment

We obviously lost matches during second half also under Holloway, but last season we were considerably better in second halves than in first halves, if you look at the season as a whole, which most likely indicates good level of fitness. Fitness is pretty important in football in general and in Championship in particular, as it is a physical league. I keep my fingers crossed we haven't got backwards in terms of fitness and that the first matches do not indicate a trend.

Comment

We lost nearly all our away games were was the fitness excuse then

Comment

i thought sheff utd looked a lot fitter than us

Comment

Originally posted by QPROslo View Post
              We obviously lost matches during second half also under Holloway, but last season we were considerably better in second halves than i first halves, if you look at the season as a whole, which most likely indicates good level of fitness. Fitness is pretty important in football in general and in Championship in particular, as it is a physical league. I keep my fingers crossed we haven't got backwards in terms of fitness and that the first matches do not indicate a trend.
              I see what you mean and Loungo i.e. is defininelty out of form, Hence In a way he epitomises our tendency to not react fast enough to a counter attack. Having pointed out this, I have to say to say that Preston, Sheffield Utd and West -Brom looked very fit, player by player.
              QPR
              Best team in the world
              Sort of

Comment

We obviously lost matches during second half also under Holloway, but last season we were considerably better in second halves than in first halves, if you look at the season as a whole, which most likely indicates good level of fitness. Fitness is pretty important in football in general and in Championship in particular, as it is a physical league. I keep my fingers crossed we haven't got backwards in terms of fitness and that the first matches do not indicate a trend.
                That may be in no small part to the fact that QPR started games with 3 at the back , got outplayed and outscored, before IH chamged it to 4 at the back and QPR improved.

Comment

Not a fitness problem

Comment

It is a not good enough problem.

Comment

Is it a coincidence we seem to do worse in second half vs first half under McClaren. Do we have a fitness issue?

Preston: Drew first half, lost second half
                      Sheff Utd: Drew first half, lost second half
                      Peterborough: Won first half, drew second half
                      West Brom: Drew first half, lost second half by six goals

In the U23 match against Forest today, with many players who trained with McClaren's first team squad during pre-season, we were winning 2-0 at the break, but went on to draw 3-3.

It is too early to conclude, but 4-5 matches start to show a trend. Holloway knew the Championship very well, had the boys running uphill during pre-season and made sure we were super fit. We often did much better in the second half than the first and were one of the most scoring clubs during the last quarter of an hour of last seasons matches.

Championship is a tough league and fitness means everything. I hope the initial trend isn't a signal that McClaren has failed to get fitness right.
                      I've been watching us for a very long time and I don't think I've ever seen a "super fit" Rangers team. We weren't too bad under Warnock but the momentum then was success, always adds a yard or two. Fitness is one area where we have fallen behind in the modern era. Sick of seeing teams with pace and mobility looking like they have extra men against us.

Comment

We managed to play the "high press" for one game under JFH...too tired after that.

Comment

Working...
                        X