No announcement yet.

Scowen or Mass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mass was average at best today but I've never seen a player like Scowen who always Always turns his back to goal when recieving the ball, as though he always plans on playing backwards. Luongo in general is the better tackler, better passer and he manages to get in the box for headers and chances. if he doesn't improve soon, then absolutely drop him as no one should be undroppable, but the reaction people have to one game at the start of a season after he's gone to a World Cup expecting to play (and with most fans expecting him to play) and then not playing, before going on a holiday and coming back a few weeks later than everyone else in the squad... of course he's not going to be at 100% yet, but he needs game time to reach that.
    "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

if we are going to play with 2 deep lying midfielders,then I would drop Luongo at the moment,that position doesn't suit his game as he carries more of a threat when further forwards. would give Goss a go once he is fit,seems to have a good range of passing and would help us retain the ball for a change.

Comment

Nasser we picked up on this too about Scowen no matter what position he gets the ball his first instinct is to turn back towards his goal

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
          Two players who do the same holding role.
          SM wants to play 4-2-3-1 which has two holding players. Can't see him changing that system as we're only two games into the season mate.

Saying that, they're not identical roles as they alternate between one playing deeper as another moves forward.

Do we have players in the squad who could play the same role? Yes. Goss, Hall, Cousins, Manning, for example.

Comment

When I say sane role I mean they think defensively first before attacking and it shows mate. Often there are huge holes they could run into but they don’t have that instinct to gamble

Comment

Good players individually, but doesnt work well enough together . Another observation I made yesterday is that.we still lack a midfeilder with real physical presence. Manning, Hall, Goss, Cousins doesn`t fill that bracket imo. They are too leightweight when we meet teams like Preston and Sheffield Utd.
              QPR
              Best team in the world
              Sort of

Comment

Originally posted by Shania View Post
                Good players individually, but doesnt work well enough together . Another observation I made yesterday is that.we still lack a midfeilder with real physical presence. Manning, Hall, Goss, Cousins doesn`t fill that bracket imo. They are too leightweight when we meet teams like Preston and Sheffield Utd.
                We have filled the squad with midfielders but still have no midfield general on the pitch.

Comment

Give Cousins a run of games as a central midfielder as he will give us legs in the middle of the pitch. Scowen at times is so deep he could play in goal and when he gets it short it is always a side pass to the right back and back again. Luongo needs to lose the weight he clearly has put on as looks off the pace and sluggish.

Comment

Originally posted by Alanwycombe View Post

We have filled the squad with midfielders but still have no midfield general on the pitch.
                    Spot on.
                    QPR
                    Best team in the world
                    Sort of

Comment

Originally posted by 1973 ranger View Post
                      Give Cousins a run of games as a central midfielder as he will give us legs in the middle of the pitch. Scowen at times is so deep he could play in goal and when he gets it short it is always a side pass to the right back and back again. Luongo needs to lose the weight he clearly has put on as looks off the pace and sluggish.
                      Not sure he is the answer, but he is worth a try.
                      QPR
                      Best team in the world
                      Sort of

Comment

He is our player as is Pawel and Goss so should be given a chance.

Comment

I would like to see Panel given a role in the side but as a poster said we have Sylla or Smith upfront with no crosses to get on the end of.
                          neither of them are particularly mobile so if playing someone needs to get crosses into the box. For me the pace of the game is too slow when playing with 2 holding midfielders and no real width.

If he is to stick with his preferred 4231 then of the 3 two have to be quick and get out wide to put in crosses and the other getting into the box to help the forward. The 3 could be Freeman Pawel and Eze.

Comment

Good post Stanis. So many areas of team, such as pace, have been unaddressed for few seasons

wjen did we last have a side/midfield with an intimidating physical presence

Comment

Mbia was supposed to do that job when Hughes signed him. Other than him probably Joey Barton.

Comment

Fulham away last season and Pawel looked good down the middle so give him a go there with smyth wide which will give us pace up top and both are willing runners. Goss, Cousins and all the fringe guys need to be given a chance as the golden midfield trio are just not doing it and are nowhere the level some like to believe they are at.

Comment

Working...
                                X