Just back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
    Hal I agree with you about ways of playing but he in my view is still not the person to play as you describe. For his size he don’t hold the ball up and is not that great at flicking it on, that’s why I say he kills us (if plays from the start) he’s not mobile enough to do as you describe or were asking him. I’m not suggesting getting shot, quite opposite, as he has part to play but it’s not from the off

If were saying to him just get in the box and in end of crosses there is no one better but that is luxury we can’t afford need at our level and ability to have more then one trick ponies

Modern day game is about pace, mobility, agility, work rate and skill all of which he don't have. It’s not his game or strength and it’s not fair on him, he looked absolutely gutted when he got withdrawn yesterday and I don’t blame him
    All I will say about Smith mate is that if he scores off a set piece early doors and we scrape a 1-0, then you'd probably say he's done his job. But games like yesterday where nothing comes off at a set piece, he's not the right guy to have up top on his own when you're chasing the game.

Personally I'd far sooner see Smith used off the bench. Or if he has to start then we need to ensure that somebody with a bit of pace is up there with him. He's far too 1 dimensional and easy to defend against to play up there on his own at this level. You are literally giving yourself no chance of scoring in open play set up like we were yesterday.

Comment

Good summary Tarbs agree with all of that. Think 20-25mins off bench he’s superb or as others suggest if you just play him down middle and put ball in box

Comment

On holiday in Thailand watched on stream, gotta be honest we still look woeful up front, BFG guy looked solid midfield is light weight imo and lacks any real penetration.
        might get slated for this but id flog freeman for a decent offer not 3-4m but 6-8m if they want him pay for him and get a decent loan and a striker full time other wise we could be in the cart come January if we got injuries. not sure what 5m would get forward wise as Marriott cost Derby chokers 6m and he wasn't in the squad! ill judge more after 3 months but losing robbo ned and smithies dont feel me with confidence.

Comment

Shagger you mirror my thoughts on midfield. Sat on train thinking on way home and the pattern for number of seasons now is lack of impact of midfield going forwards. We don’t have anyone who breaks lines and goes beyond

part of this problem is we have two defensive minded players in Mass and Scowen. One needs be freed up or perhaps only one can be selected

Comment

Originally posted by Abseits View Post
            Bit duff. Sluggish and disjointed. Smith very isolated and nobody getting forward to support him or feed off him. No width whatsoever and far too slow moving through the thirds. Two meaningful shots on goal in 90 mins: one a tame free-kick easily gathered by keeper and the other was a Sylla poke/snapshot late on but straight at keeper who did well to flick it clear from danger.
            PNE equally powder puff up front. Whatever OPTA says I don't think Ingram made a serious save all match. Their goal was very soft... free kick over to back post, nodded back across goal and second ball nodded in. That said, it was not a free kick in first place and dunno why ref saw innocent 50/50 as a foul. Suppose you could say we were close to achieving a point but I don't think we did enough to deserve it.
            Remember the excellent reffing at World Cup with refs just telling players to get up and stop being tarts every time they collapsed after someone brushed near them? Well, business as usual back in England...... fussy ref blowing for a lot of falling over antics from PNE players which got particularly risible in last 10 minutes with 3 notable stoppages for fake injuries. Still, we need to get wise and grow up - senior players need to show the young uns how to deploy the "dark arts".
            Lastly, I feel playing footy on 4th August is far too early and thus I don't want to panic or dig players out but I do struggle to see anything positive with Bidwell..... slow, cumbersome, offers nothing going forward, gets a nosebleed if he finds himself in their half, questionable positional sense, poor distribution, no vision, can't control the ball, can't pass straight, tendency to wildly spoon or mistime a hoofed clearance. Not a good day at office for him in my view.
            This. And if our supply line is Bidwell crossing we have a problem......

Comment

Originally posted by Alanwycombe View Post

This. And if our supply line is Bidwell crossing we have a problem......
              This. He was the only one putting in crosses in open play yesterday. Kakay a couple. Which is why, given our forwards, we need to play 442 and use width. Wzsolek should start.

Comment

Like I have said many, many times before; our midfield lacks balance. But again, nobody will listen to me
                QPR
                Best team in the world
                Sort of

Comment

Originally posted by Rangers77 View Post
                  Smith can only play with his back to goal. Can only possibly play in a 442 with width and someone off him.
                  I think he CAN play in the 4231 but it requires more support from at least 1 of the 3 behind him. Yes he usually plays with his back to goal, so the high balls he was receiving he could have easily knocked them down to runners had they made themselves available to him, but they didn't. Instead they were making runs behind and wide of him, which is where our offensive play kept breaking down as it certainly doesn't play to our strengths. That's where we got out done tactically yesterday imo and hopefully SM will learn more from this about his squad. On the positive side Leistner was excellent overall I thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post

I think he CAN play in the 4231 but it requires more support from at least 1 of the 3 behind him. Yes he usually plays with his back to goal, so the high balls he was receiving he could have easily knocked them down to runners had they made themselves available to him, but they didn't. Instead they were making runs behind and wide of him, which is where our offensive play kept breaking down as it certainly doesn't play to our strengths. That's where we got out done tactically yesterday imo and hopefully SM will learn more from this about his squad. On the positive side Leistner was excellent overall I thought.
                    And Eze wasn't making runs at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy the Doc View Post

I thought Eze was dropping way too deep yesterday. Loads of nice turns and touches, but all in the wrong areas. If he is going to affect the game at all, then he needs to be getting on the ball in the final 3rd.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbie View Post

I thought Eze was dropping way too deep yesterday. Loads of nice turns and touches, but all in the wrong areas. If he is going to affect the game at all, then he needs to be getting on the ball in the final 3rd.
                        Where was the great coach then ?????? Harsh blaming the kid

Comment

Originally posted by dogsrrs View Post

Where was the great coach then ?????? Harsh blaming the kid
                          What a daft comment.

Not digging anyone out, just giving my opinion as to why he was unable to affect the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Shania View Post
                            Like I have said many, many times before; our midfield lacks balance. But again, nobody will listen to me
                            See my recent post Shania, I agree.

Comment

Agree Tarbie. He was ineffective.

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy the Doc View Post

I Agree, and on one occasion Mclaren told him to work harder. Mclaren looked quite angry.
                                QPR
                                Best team in the world
                                Sort of

Comment

Working...
                                X