Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bristol City striker Agyemang dreaming of a World Cup call-up

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/sport...l/article.html

New Bristol City striker Patrick Agyemang has revealed he is still dreaming of a World Cup call-up.

The Ghana international has signed on loan from Queens Park Rangers for the rest of the season after falling out of favour at Loftus Road.

An international recall could even put Agyemang on course for a World Cup last-16 clash in South Africa with his country of birth – England. Agyemang has not played for Ghana since 2006, when he narrowly missed out on going with the Black Stars to the World Cup in Germany.

But Ghana assistant coach Akwasi Appiah has promised to travel over to watch the big target man in action following his move to Bristol City.

"Being in and out of the team at QPR didn't really help my international career," he said.

"It made it very difficult for Ghana to pick me.

"I've not played for my country for a couple of seasons now and they have gone with other strikers. Hopefully, that will change now I'm with Bristol City.

"I've spoken to the Ghana assistant manager and told him about my move to Bristol and he's promised to watch me after the Africa Cup of Nations is over.

"Judging from what he said, there could be another opportunity for me to break back into the national squad. But I know I have to show him what I can do

"Now would be the perfect time to break back into the squad with the World Cup finals coming up at the end of the season.

"If I can get regular games in the Championship with Bristol City, help the team do well and score a few goals along the way, there is a chance I could make the plane to South Africa in the summer."

That will be music to City boss Gary Johnson's ears as he prepares his side for Saturday's home game with Coventry.

Walthamstow-born Agyemang enjoyed a dream start to his international career in 2003, when he scored three minutes into his debut against Nigeria.

Strangely, he did not appear for Ghana again for three years, when he won three further caps in the build up to Germany 2006.

Agyemang, who is hoping to follow in the footsteps of the likes of Abedi Pele and Tony Yeboah, missed out on the final 23-man squad.

There may be a selection shake-up after Ghana lost last weekend's Africa Cup of Nations final 1-0 to Egypt.

But Ghana are not short of talent with Chelsea midfielder Michael Essien and Rennes' former Udinese striker Asamoah Gyan.

Former Bristol Rovers striker Junior Agogo, now with Cypriot side Apollon Limassol, could be one of Agyemang's rivals for a place in Serbian Milovan Rajevac's squad.

Ghana have been drawn in Group D with Australia, Germany and Serbia. The two qualifiers will face one of the top two from Group C, which contains England, USA, Algeria and Slovenia.

OMG Dave playing in the world cup - never gonna happen (surely!!!??)
    oldhoop

The Bread Mans Blue and White Army

Comment

I love the guy, but he doesn't really have what it takes at international level. What next, Blackstock for England ?

Comment

Originally posted by rangersroar View Post
        I love the guy, but he doesn't really have what it takes at international level. What next, Blackstock for England ?
        He don't even have what it takes for DIVISION 1 FFS! A total waste of space. My arris puts in more effort when I fart than he does in a football match!

Comment

Originally posted by Dazzer1977 View Post
          He don't even have what it takes for DIVISION 1 FFS! A total waste of space. My arris puts in more effort when I fart than he does in a football match!
          I wouldn't want to sit behind you at a match !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dazzer1977 View Post
            Chill! :waaaht:

Comment

Two minds about him, he works hard and gives his all, however, he really does lack ability and that killer instinct in front of goal.

Comment

Mwahahahahah comedy hour!

Comment

I'm will be absolutely shocked if Agyemang plays in a world cup before I do!

Comment

They must be desperate. He wouldn't even get in my Sunday team.
                    First game: Arsenal vs Queen's Park Rangers at Highbury, Saturday 17th November 1984.

Comment

Laziest player down the bush in a long time..can't head and first touch was brutal.
                      PRIDE OF LONDON.

Comment

FLIPPEN HECK!! Please let him make the squad!! That would be amazing television!!
                        Cant believe it, ive been PWOPER MUGGED ORF...

Comment

Originally posted by Youvebeenrangered View Post
                          FLIPPEN HECK!! Please let him make the squad!! That would be amazing television!!
                          Those step overs are crying out for the world stage!;D

Comment

is paladini giving them advice

Comment

Working...
                            X