Just Back on the Island...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Back on the Island...

They say football is an emotional game, but I think at QPR we experience pretty much every single emotion under the sun almost week in week out. Following our no show against Nottingham Forest earlier in the week, whatever was in store today was anyone’s guess. With the message boards flooded with talks of protests etc, it seemed likely to be an eventful day – and it sure didn’t disappoint.

For anyone interested, here was my take on today’s loss against Scunthorpe.

When arriving at the ground around midday, I have to say I wondered if there was even a game on. South Africa Road and the surrounding area seemed almost deserted, although admittedly it wasn’t any huge shock following the Nottingham Forest performance.

Nevertheless, while waiting around Loftus Road, we got talking to someone who works inside the club, and naturally we discussed recent events etc. After chatting for him for what must have been at least 10 minutes or so, he worryingly lowered his voice and warned us things could/will get an awful lot worse. He said that we were on the brink of administration! I took it with a pinch of salt and instantly laughed it off… although the expression on his face couldn’t have been any straighter. I literally said to him “Are you having a laugh” and he sadly nodded and said that he wasn’t on a wind up. Apparently there will be plenty of cuts around Loftus Road, and that will become apparent over the course of the next few weeks. I do hope it’s purely just a rumour…?!

Onto the game now, and I have to say that I was fairly frustrated with the side that Harford decided to field. Following his comments mid-week about unpopular decisions to be made… I felt that it was screaming out for the likes of Ephraim, Balanta… even German to be given a rare start. Annoyingly, the only change from mid-week was Damion Stewart, which I didn’t see as any great shock… especially considering that he subbed him at half time in our previous game anyway. How on earth anyone can see Buzsaky as being worthy of a place in the starting line-up continues to mystify me.

On the positive, there were two home debuts in the form of Hill and Quashie – both of which got great receptions. The latter particularly keen to clap the fans and welcome himself ‘home’ to Loftus Road.

On the negative, while I saw only a few handfuls of clowns (no that doesn’t include the C-club), the chanting against the board had began before a ball had even been kicked... and being brutally honest you couldn’t blame them.

In the build up to kick-off there were so many various anti-Flavio chants, I think even the Rain Man couldn’t have memorized them all. It ranged from the sale of Routledge through to the resignation of the board. Where before there has been almost whispers of chanting in opposition to the board, I think that this is the first time that I could say the message really came across loud and clear. In the opening few minutes, I can’t think of one time that we actually produced a chant to get behind the team… It was literally a constant barrage of discontent at the boardroom.

The game itself started reasonably positively, with Taarabt having the first effort on goal which rebounded out for a corner kick. Not that it is saying much, but it was a huge improvement on the Forest game and in all fairness I thought we were actually playing some fairly decent football. Again, the first player to catch my eye was Faurlin, who looked extremely pumped up for the game. He was flying in for tackles left, right and centre… and if nothing else you had to admire his hunger and bravery at going in for literally everything. He complimented it beautifully with some fantastic touches in possession, and showed his undoubted class.

Scunthorpe were next on the attack, and after the ball pinged around our box it eventually fell to Hooper who lashed a shot at goal… fortunately Ikeme was alert to the danger and managed to push it clear before Connolly booted the ball from danger. Again, the abuse towards Flavio continued to roll on and on and on.

I thought that we were a little unfortunate not to go ahead shortly after. As you would expect, Taarabt had already done a fair amount of show-boating, but after coming through the middle of the pitch, Simpson made a great run in behind the last defender, and Taarabt expertly played him through… We watched on as Simpson rounded the keeper and slid the ball into the open net, and veered off in celebration. Our joy however was short lived as he was flagged offside. As ever, I try to be completely honest and it certainly looked a harsh call from where I was. It prompted a short chant of “Ranger’s till I die” but again it was short lived in favour of a run through of previous players Gallen/Furlong/****tu and yet more anti-Flavio chanting.

Scunthorpe had a great opportunity to take the lead right on the brink of half time. The cross came in from the left hand side, and after being squared back across the face of goal, it was met by a late run from a midfielder… fortunately he could only spurn his effort over the crossbar when he really should have tested Ikeme at very least.

As the referee blew time on the first half, in truth it had been a pretty stale contest, and while it was an improvement on Forest… those players could and should be doing an awful lot better.

During the break, Ainsworth came out to say his farewell. After saying that he would be leaving to further his playing career, and commending us on our GREAT support, he did one final lap of honour and that chilling noise of a full blooded Loftus Road blaring out his name was sung for one final time. Taking away from the frustration throughout the game, it was a sobering moment and for a few minutes at least – Loftus Road was once again united in thanking a player that has been such a tremendous servant for the club… and he deserved every bit of it. It’s just a shame he wasn’t saying goodbye in different circumstances.

We started the second period fairly well, and Gorkss had our first effort on goal within the first couple of minutes. He met Taarabt’s corner really well, but unfortunately his header just flew over the crossbar and out for a goal kick.

Keeping that momentum, we then played probably the move of the match. After picking up possession around 20 yards out, Simpson played a delightful one-two with Buzsaky which left the defence rooted to the spot… As the ball came back to Simpson he could only manage to scuff his effort straight into the keeper’s path and ultimately it proved to be an easy save.

Scunthorpe were soon up the other end, and ever so nearly took the lead with one of their first efforts on goal in the half. I think it was either Quashie or Faurlin that lost possession, and as the ball landed around the edge of the box… it was struck with real venom towards the top left hand corner. Ikeme flew across the goalmouth and somehow tipped it past the post – absolutely stunning save!

Scunny were now starting to look more dangerous, and they had a goal disallowed a matter of minutes later. Hooper was free in the box, and his header from around 6 yards out hit the back of the net… Where the defending was I just don’t know, he was completely unmarked. As mentioned above, the referee blew his whistle for something – but I’m at a loss to say why. I would guess offside?

I wouldn’t say it was end to end football, but the second half was definitely more entertaining, and Connolly ever so nearly put us a goal to the good. After meeting Faurlin’s corner with a header, the ball eventually fell back to him around 8 yards out with the whole goal to aim at... He seemed to rush his effort, and while fully stretched he just managed to prod it wide of the post. He really should have scored here.

In typical Ranger’s fashion, Scunthorpe made us pay literally a matter of seconds after. There looked to be a possibility of offside for the first pass, but as Hooper broke free from the backline he squared the ball, and Thompson made no mistake in burying the shot from close-range. My instant reaction was to look over at Flavio Briatore, and after throwing his hands up he marched up the stairs and left.

Cook and German were instantly introduced at the expense of Buzsaky and Taarabt, and Balanta also came off the bench as the half went on… But all we could really muster was a half chance - where a Lee Cook cross was just headed wide by Simpson.

There was yet another disappointing aspect from today… The fans inexplicably chanted that Simpson “Couldn’t score in a brothel” after seeing a shot from the edge of the box held by the keeper. I understand the treatment towards Flavio, it’s now fully justified in my opinion. But is that anyway to treat a young loan player that happens to be our top goal scorer? Bizarre.

When the referee blew full time on the game, there was a loud chorus of boo’s. Whether it was directed at the boardroom or players I don’t know, but Cook and Quashie both received a fair amount of applause after coming and clapping the fans in our area.

Player Ratings –

Hill – I thought he looked a fairly good player against Forest, and I think in all fairness he again showed that he isn’t by any means a bad signing. Very assured in possession, and also steady in defence. He rarely seems to get beaten, and has made a promising start to his loan spell.

Faurlin – In honesty he did fade in the second half, but what a tremendous shift he put in today. Such a hard worker, and justified his place in the starting line-up. I hope he continues to produce this kind of performance.

Buzsaky – Baffled by Harfords decision to start him yet again. Extremely poor. German/Balanta/Cook all did far more in the short spells that they were on the pitch than Buzsaky has seemingly done for weeks. Almost like playing with 10 men.

Vine – Constantly falling over his own feet, and just didn’t look a threat going forward. Did a couple of nice things, including one cracking ball across the face of goal… but offered little in the way of an attacking threat.

Cook – One of the limited bright sparks from today. I won’t get too carried away with his performance, as I’m expecting him to get a fair few niggling injuries etc this season, and understandably I think his form will fluctuate. But today it felt like we well and truly got our old Lee Cook back. I haven’t seen him running down the wing and jinxing his markers like that since he played under Gregory. His delivery in the box was fantastic. Another positive element (although minor) was that he came up with one 50/50 against the opposition defender - and didn’t bottle it. They do say that part of recovering from a long term injury is the mental side of it… so this was really encouraging to see. Despite the result, I think he should be delighted with his performance today.

In summary of the game as a whole, I actually thought we played fairly well today. That might be slightly differing from other reports, but the positive is that had a couple of key decisions gone our way we really could have won that. We DID create chances, and the players DID put the effort in… But it just wasn’t to be. Another day we would probably win.

In the report so far, I have deliberately tried not to mention too much about the hostility towards Flavio, as I thought it may detract from what wasn’t actually a bad performance.

What I will say is that the chanting became louder as the game went on, and I think that all the bottled up frustration that fans had been carrying for some time was finally released – and it resulted in nothing but abuse being hurled at him for the full 90 minutes (albeit even if he did leave after Scunthorpe scored).

Despite all the questions behind the scenes that need answering, there is one thing that is now crystal clear. If Flavio has just one ounce of self respect left in his egotistical, self righteous, arrogant and downright deluded mind he will not attend another QPR fixture this season… be it home or away. It’s the best thing for all parties. The fans can concentrate on just backing the 11 players out there on the pitch as opposed to (rightly in my view) trying to force him out the club, and that can have nothing but a positive influence on results. The benefit for Briatore, he can protect whatever is left of his crumbling reputation by keeping stories like today out of the public eye.

I think today will be a turning point for Flavio though, as I think he finally realized just how much of a hated figure he has now become. Whether or not it will work in our favour remains to be seen. I won’t go into what was chanted at him, I’m sure people will have heard or will read about it. But a chant of “If you all hate Flavio clap your hands!” started at the beginning and continued as the game went on. Shortly before Scunthorpe scored, they had a corner at the School End. This chant was now being sung pretty much purely from the Q block area of the ground, but from looking around, the vast vast majority of fans were joining in with the clapping. So much so that despite the action being at the other end of the pitch, I clocked Flavio looking right the way down Ellerslie Road and then along the Upper/Lower loft. I think actually visually seeing the number of people that are now opposed to him must have drove the point home… whether he actually cares or not I suppose is a different matter.

You can’t help but fear for the direction that we are heading in at the moment; there is no hiding away from that. But I think that despite the huge turmoil going on at the club currently, I think it’s fitting to end with thanks towards Gareth Ainsworth. If any of us fans were to receive just £1 for every time the words ‘heart’ and ‘soul’ have been muttered by a QPR fan since things have gone pear-shaped, I think we would likely have a wealth that would rival Lakshmi Mittal himself… and in losing Gareth Ainsworth we have not only lost a player that epitomizes those words, but more importantly the board have lost one of the few links it had with supporters – he will be an enormous void to fill.

Thank you Gareth Ainsworth

Have to say fair play to you for making the effort week in week out!

Good report, as for their goal being disallowed it was for a push by Hooper on either Connolly or Gorkks think it was Connolly but it was a push clear as day!

Comment

Where do you sit SM1882 out of interest?

Interesting to read about the various chants, I sit in the front of JU and I didnt hear any of it from my seat
      its New Era number 8 i tell thee, bring on the fireworks

Comment

Once again Saffa an excellent report. Was not there myself, made my mind up after the Forrest result, so it's great to get your perspective on things.
        Opinions are like A******s, everyone has one, but nobody wants to see the other guy's.
        -----------------------------------------------------------------
        https://twitter.com/#!/QPRBOB

Comment

Thanks for that SM.

Comment

Cheers SM, as always, a good report and much appreciated

Comment

Another top report, well done sir i was there and i must say i agree with all you say
              God I miss cooke's pie & mash

Comment

Originally posted by PeterG View Post

Interesting to read about the various chants, I sit in the front of JU and I didnt hear any of it from my seat
                Good report SM. I sit at front of T block and the chants weren't that loud. Heard the bircham/furlong/****tu and clap your hands if u hate briatore. But I doubt Sar could hear.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoopaman View Post
                  Good report SM. I sit at front of T block and the chants weren't that loud. Heard the bircham/furlong/****tu and clap your hands if u hate briatore. But I doubt Sar could hear.
                  We're A block SAR... so even further away, but didn't hear any of it at all.

Comment

Great report.

If administration is coming would this be a bad thing? One way or another Briatore will go.
                    Mabe Mittal buys us maybe he doesnt?

Comment

Top report

Comment

Originally posted by PeterG View Post

I was just about to post the same. I am in Ellerslie Road, V Block

Comment

Originally posted by Fawny View Post
                          I was just about to post the same. I am in Ellerslie Road, V Block

Why? There isnt a game today mate

Comment

i sit in V block too(obviously )...didnt hear any chants so i assume Flav sitting across the pitch heard nothing either

Comment

Thanks (again) for all the comments everyone.

I sit in Ellerslie Road R block.

Mick Harford managed to hear a chant of "Harford give us a wave" which wasn't anywhere near as loud as the anti-Flavio ones... whether that means Flavio could hear or not I don't know.

But he definently looked around the ground when the clapping took place.

Our of curiosity, what chants did any people in other blocks hear???

It went on the full 90 minutes from what I heard.

Comment

Working...
                              X