Striking Stats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Striking Stats

All of the stats below are from this current season in the Championship. I've chosen players we've either been linked to in the past or linked to recently:

Goals Scored
    Clinton Morrison - 9
    Jay Simpson - 9
    Leon Best - 9
    Robert Earnshaw - 8
    Gary Hooper - 8
    Dexter Blackstock - 7
    Heidar Helguson - 7
    Simon Cox - 6
    Leroy Lita - 5
    Patrick Agyemang - 3
    Alessandro Pellicori - 0

Minutes Played per Goals Scored
    Robert Earnshaw - 104
    Heidar Helguson - 154
    Simon Cox - 160
    Jay Simpson - 165
    Dexter Blackstock - 181
    Gary Hooper - 185
    Clinton Morrison - 220
    Leon Best - 226
    Patrick Agyemang - 227
    Leroy Lita - 319
    Alessandro Pellicori - N/A

As both sets of stats show Simpson is up there with the best but who should/should have partnered him?

Partners for Simpson:

Dexter Blackstock
    Minutes Played: 1267
    Goals Scored: 7 (+ 4 assists)
    Minutes Played per Goals Scored: 181

Heidar Helguson
    Minutes Played: 1079
    Goals Scored: 7 (+ 2 assists)
    Minutes Played per Goals Scored: 154

Patrick Agyemang
    Minutes Played: 680
    Goals Scored: 3 (+ 0 assists)
    Minutes Played per Goals Scored: 227

Alessandro Pellicori
    Minutes Played: 171
    Goals Scored: 0 (+ 0 assists)
    Minutes Played per Goals Scored: N/A

Most people have written Pellicori off even though he has only played 171 minutes of league football. Sometimes the only way to prove if a player isn't good enough is to allow a player to dig their own grave. From the little we've seen of Pellicori he isn't good enough but to prove this to Briatore he may need to be given a start (same goes with Alberti). Problem is that even if Harford were to pick our worst XI to prove to Briatore that we don't have depth Harford will get the blame when they fail rather than the players.

The signing of Simpson was a good one and credit where credit is due but allowing proven goal scorers (in this division) to move to other clubs is criminal as the stats above show. Magilton, Bircham/Gallen, Hart and now Harford clearly don't rate Pellicori and until recently they didn't rate Agyemang either. As his stats show he isn't much cop either.

Sirpie, as usual good work on the stats.

I tend to agree that Pellicori should be given a full game in a side tha will play to his strengths (if he has any). This for me would be in a 4-4-2 system with a lot of crosses in the are for him to challenge for.

He lacks pace, so playing against a side that is likely to push up to the halfway line will not really work, but he could do well if it was against a side camped in their own half.

Comment

Originally posted by stanistheman View Post
      Sirpie, as usual good work on the stats.

I tend to agree that Pellicori should be given a full game in a side tha will play to his strengths (if he has any). This for me would be in a 4-4-2 system with a lot of crosses in the are for him to challenge for.

He lacks pace, so playing against a side that is likely to push up to the halfway line will not really work, but he could do well if it was against a side camped in their own half.
      I agree. I just don't see the point in having players in the squad who are never (under any manager) going to challenge for a starting position. They are a waste of money which could be spent elsewhere. Pellicori hasn't had a true opportunity to prove his worth or to prove what the majority of fans have already decided - that he is useless.

I've heard a number of times that Owen Coyle allows players to play half a dozen games to prove their worth and if he doesn't believe they are up for it they don't get a 2nd chance. We should do the same. Say to the likes of Pellicori and Alberti here is your opportunity if you fail then please find football somewhere else because you aren't going to succeed here.

Comment

Working...
      X