'Win ugly'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Win ugly'

It has been shown this season, that sometimes fancy fluent football gets you nowhere. When this has been the case, some wondered if the team could 'win ugly' when needed.
    Well today was definately a win ugly day.
    Im not convinced by the tactics in the latter stages of the game, but given the fact that we struggled to find any rhythm all game, i can understand us trying to grind it out.
    It was'nt pretty, but 3 points was the order of the day considering our recent run, and lets face it, we have just had a new mgmt team installed.

If, after 6-10 games, we are still repeating todays performance, (we got out of jail today), then i will be concerned.

But its 3 much needed points and a step forward to regaining the confidence that has been so lacking recently.

Originally posted by Mutley View Post
    It has been shown this season, that sometimes fancy fluent football gets you nowhere. When this has been the case, some wondered if the team could 'win ugly' when needed.
    Well today was definately a win ugly day.
    Im not convinced by the tactics in the latter stages of the game, but given the fact that we struggled to find any rhythm all game, i can understand us trying to grind it out.
    It was'nt pretty, but 3 points was the order of the day considering our recent run, and lets face it, we have just had a new mgmt team installed.

If, after 6-10 games, we are still repeating todays performance, (we got out of jail today), then i will be concerned.

But its 3 much needed points and a step forward to regaining the confidence that has been so lacking recently.

Agreed. We repeatedly have played nicey nice football and not got the results. If people are prepared to be entertained but disappointed then thats what you'll get from Magilton. If instead you want to win matches and sometimes have to sacrifice the entertainment side of things then that's what you'll get from Hart.

A much needed win. Far better that to have played dazzling football and lost. Instead we are just outside the top 6 and a few more results will see us inside the play offs positions. A loss today and we would be outside the top half.

Comment

Bloke sat behind me in the Lower Loft said he'd "rather see us lose than play like that"..........................WHAT !!!!!!! - would he rather see us play better football and lose ? :confused:

3 points - nuff said

Comment

In some eyes, Sousa always tried for us to win ugly.

Jimmy Mag tried the opposite.

Maybe trying to win according to the situation is the way to go. Its called tactics, and i appreciate it may be a novel idea to some fans, but it does work.

Comment

Originally posted by Mutley View Post
          Maybe trying to win according to the situation is the way to go. Its called tactics, and i appreciate it may be a novel idea to some fans, but it does work.
          Not to mention its only his second game in charge and he's still getting to know the players.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley76 View Post
            Not to mention its only his second game in charge and he's still getting to know the players.
            Agree with both Mutley and Stanley.

How did Magilton (who did have a pre season) do in his first two matches. Hart doesn't have one player in the squad which he signed for the team. He may well know one or two faces but he has come in when we were in yet another joke of a situation. He has had to change the team due to Stewart's suspension and he wasn't afraid to drop players to bring other players back.

Well done Hart for instantly showing you have no favourties and you are prepared to win at all costs even if it upsets the precious fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Balders1967 View Post
              Bloke sat behind me in the Lower Loft said he'd "rather see us lose than play like that"..........................WHAT !!!!!!! - would he rather see us play better football and lose ? :confused:

3 points - nuff said
              Same goes for Di Canio fan club.Fancy football but threw away plenty of points by not being able to grind out a win.Look how many goals we conceded in the last 10 minutes under him.

Hart saw we needed to dig in so went for the 'ugly win'.

Not pretty but probably 2 points more than we would of got under Di Canio or Magilton.

Comment

Working...
              X