Ryan Manning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tarbie View Post
    People get carried away though don't they? Young player shows a bit of promise and next thing, we're all falling over ourselves about him.

For me, he looks decent. But I think anyone who thinks he's gonna automatically be the next big thing are probably the ones who are "clueless about football" as you put it.

He might go on to play regularly at the highest level. Or he may, like most players who break through at Championship level, end up plying his trade predominantly in the lower leagues.

If a Premiership club wants to roll the dice and spend big money based on what Manning has shown so far then that's up to them. Personally I think they'd be taking a massive punt.

And whos falling over themselves as you put it exagerating?! And whos said hes going to be the next big thing?! No one, hes a good young player with plenty of playing to be had and experience gained! You have vertually judged him on a handful of games which is ridiculas as we wont see the full potential until a season or two! And if we want to build a good squad we need to keep it/them together, not straight away as one looks good get rid!
    http://soundcloud.com/pinkie2

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Ninja View Post
      Wasn't it also his ball back in for Lynch to head home? If so, that's 2 assists. But he's not all that apparently.
      1 assist mate. It was Luongo's assist for Conor (as BrightonR previously mentioned).

Comment

Originally posted by Pinkie View Post
        And whos falling over themselves as you put it exagerating?! And whos said hes going to be the next big thing?! No one, hes a good young player with plenty of playing to be had and experience gained! You have vertually judged him on a handful of games which is ridiculas as we wont see the full potential until a season or two! And if we want to build a good squad we need to keep it/them together, not straight away as one looks good get rid!
        What's ridiculous is that a player that any club in the land could have bought for maximum 100k 6 months ago is now being looked at as somehow indispensable.

The guy has had less than 20 games, 1 goal and a couple of assists. And not even any loans spells before that. As I said earlier, if Prem clubs have seen enough to part with big bucks for him then good luck to them. We'd be wise to take the money and run, as his future as a top player is far from guaranteed.

We do jump the gun in almost every sense as fans!
        Last edited by Tarbie; 02-05-2017, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
          1 assist mate. It was Luongo's assist for Conor (as BrightonR previously mentioned).
          My bad, I didn't see Brightons post. Still, that's not the first assist this season from Manning, and it was a great ball back in.
          Top Scorers 2018/2019

Nakhi Wells - 8
          Pawel Wszolek - 6
          Luke Freeman - 6
          Matt Smith - 6
          Ebere Eze - 4
          Joel Lynch - 3
          Tomer Hemed - 3
          Toni Leistner - 2
          Massimo Luongo- 2
          Angel Rangel - 2
          Bright Osayi-Samuel - 2
          Geoff Cameron - 1
          Aramide Oteh - 1
          Jake Bidwell - 1
          Jordan Cousins - 1

Summer Transfers 2019

IN

OUT

Comment

There is no way anyone, Premiership or Real Madrid, would pay £4/5M for Manning IMO. Suggestions of £5m, £7m/£8m & £10m (!) are very hopeful, right now. especially after only 20 games for a team finishing in the bottom third of the Championship.

He's not THAT good (yet). He got great potential, I really hope he gets to fulfil that with us. But, if the club get a £2m+ bid for him, it will be accepted. It has to be for FFP reasons and in the interest of improving the squad, as I say IMO.

Just to be clear - I don't WANT him to go, but from a financial perspective, I think the Club would accept anything above £2m. And (if rumours are true) with him close to being released by us before Olly started playing him, I doubt his loyalty to us would stretch too far if a Premiership club and £10k+ a week was put in front of him. In fact, I'd see a puff of smoke & a spinning chair.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbie View Post
              What's ridiculous is that a player that any club in the land could have bought for maximum 100k 6 months ago is now being looked at as somehow indispensable.

The guy has had less than 20 games, 1 goal and a couple of assists. And not even any loans spells before that. As I said earlier, if Prem clubs have seen enough to part with big bucks for him then good luck to them. We'd be wise to take the money and run, as his future as a top player is far from guaranteed.

We do jump the gun in almost every sense as fans!
              Its not about being indispensable its about building a good thing here, if we get good players showing good signs why get rid at every offer?! whats the whole point of trying to build something up! we`re not good enough in the youth to keep replacing a promising player coming through cos we had an offer!
              http://soundcloud.com/pinkie2

Comment

Originally posted by Pinkie View Post
                Its not about being indispensable its about building a good thing here, if we get good players showing good signs why get rid at every offer?! whats the whole point of trying to build something up! we`re not good enough in the youth to keep replacing a promising player coming through cos we had an offer!
                I do get it mate.

All I'm saying is that there is as good a chance that this kid will fade and never play beyond this level as there is that he'll go onto play regular at a higher level. In my opinion he's been our best player in a handful of games that he's played, anonymous in others and for a large part somewhere in between.

Anybody remember Stuart Wardley? We could have sold him for a fortune after his first season with us, but we held onto him and in his 2nd and 3rd season he went off the boil. He eventually went to Rushden and Diamonds on a free transfer.

All I'm saying is that if somebody is going to offer us a big chunk for him then we'd be daft as a club not to take it. We'd also be daft as fans to expect that we wouldn't take it. As I said earlier, guy was worth next to nothing 6 months ago. If our board see a multi-million pound pay off for a guy that was close to written off, they'll have to consider it.
                Last edited by Tarbie; 02-05-2017, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by QPR1976 View Post
                  There is no way anyone, Premiership or Real Madrid, would pay £4/5M for Manning IMO. Suggestions of £5m, £7m/£8m & £10m (!) are very hopeful, right now. especially after only 20 games for a team finishing in the bottom third of the Championship.

He's not THAT good (yet). He got great potential, I really hope he gets to fulfil that with us. But, if the club get a £2m+ bid for him, it will be accepted. It has to be for FFP reasons and in the interest of improving the squad, as I say IMO.

Just to be clear - I don't WANT him to go, but from a financial perspective, I think the Club would accept anything above £2m. And (if rumours are true) with him close to being released by us before Olly started playing him, I doubt his loyalty to us would stretch too far if a Premiership club and £10k+ a week was put in front of him. In fact, I'd see a puff of smoke & a spinning chair.
                  Yeah, its crazy to think any team would splash that sort of cash on a promising youngster in this day and age. BTW, how much did Bournemouth give Leeds for their youngster last summer?

Accepting such a low sum for our most promising youngster would be up there with the Sinclair to west ham deal for shafting ourselves.

£2m! Two bloody million.

Wouldn't even cover the fee and wages of any potential replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by Norths View Post
                    Yeah, its crazy to think any team would splash that sort of cash on a promising youngster in this day and age. BTW, how much did Bournemouth give Leeds for their youngster last summer?
                    Accepting such a low sum for our most promising youngster would be up there with the Sinclair to west ham deal for shafting ourselves.
                    £2m! Two bloody million.
                    Wouldn't even cover the fee and wages of any potential replacement.

I've no idea how much Bournemouth paid for a Leeds player, please refresh my memory. Not even sure who you are speaking of.
                    But I bet for every Leeds to Bournemouth Youngster (who probably had played more than 20 games), I reckon there's 50 who transferred for peanuts.
                    Don't most youngsters transfer fees get decided by a committee these days ?

Oh and £2m would buy about 20 Manning judging by what we paid for him. Alternatively, you could buy 4 perfectly good replacements. not that we would have to as Centre Mid seems quite busy with (in no particular order) Luongo, Goss, Cousins, Freeman, Borysuik, Hall, Doughty, Comley able to play there, and that's once Henry is waived goodbye.

As I said, I'm happy for him to stay and fulfil his potential with us. Maybe one day we will sell him for £10m.
                    But meanwhile, don't expect us to spend much money this Summer unless we sell some of the current squad.

Comment

Lewis cook went to Bournemouth for a fee of around £10m.

The only time a transfer fee is decided by a committee is if it involves a player under a certain age coming to the end of his contract. Other than that, its the same as any other transfer so the fee is agreed between the two clubs.

20 manning type signings maybe, but how many of them would be ready to step into the first team, as that's what we'd need. After all, he had been in the youth setup for 2+ years.

If we need to raise funds to buy, then selling our prospects for peanuts isn't the way of going about it.

Comment

Fair few players from the Championship to PL that cost £5m+ last summer.

I'd say though if Rob Holding cost £2m from Bolton to Arsenal then I wouldn't think £5m for Manning would be too crazy

Comment

Lewis cook went to Bournemouth for a fee of around £10m.
                          The only time a transfer fee is decided by a committee is if it involves a player under a certain age coming to the end of his contract. Other than that, its the same as any other transfer so the fee is agreed between the two clubs.
                          20 manning type signings maybe, but how many of them would be ready to step into the first team, as that's what we'd need. After all, he had been in the youth setup for 2+ years.
                          If we need to raise funds to buy, then selling our prospects for peanuts isn't the way of going about it.
                          Lewis Cook, fair enough, never heard of him (I don't watch much Prem stuff).
                          Let's not forget we were (allegedly) going to release Manning a week or so before Olly decided to blood him.

As I said, I'm happy to keep him, watch him develop (hopefully), but if I was in charge at Palarse or Bournemouth, no way would I shell out £5m for him. He's not that good (yet).
                          How much has holding out for more cost us in the past ? £12M for Austin, £5M for Gallen - I was happy to keep both at the time, but we ended up with just £4m for one of those two examples. I guess it's all relative.

Comment

The fact he was possibly on the way out is irrelevant now, and should never come into our thinking when possibly selling. I'd hate to think hoos and slf sitting down with their counterparts from other clubs and accepting that as a bargaining tool.

Comment

Originally posted by QPR1976 View Post
                              Lewis Cook, fair enough, never heard of him (I don't watch much Prem stuff).
                              Let's not forget we were (allegedly) going to release Manning a week or so before Olly decided to blood him.

As I said, I'm happy to keep him, watch him develop (hopefully), but if I was in charge at Palarse or Bournemouth, no way would I shell out £5m for him. He's not that good (yet).
                              How much has holding out for more cost us in the past ? £12M for Austin, £5M for Gallen - I was happy to keep both at the time, but we ended up with just £4m for one of those two examples. I guess it's all relative.
                              This is the point that I'm trying to make. If an offer comes in that makes sense, then you have to seriously consider it. If 4 or 5m came in for Manning this summer, then he didn't kick on next season and left for a fraction of that amount, I bet there would be enough fans having a whinge about not taking the money when we could have.

Comment

The fact he was possibly on the way out is irrelevant now, and should never come into our thinking when possibly selling. I'd hate to think hoos and slf sitting down with their counterparts from other clubs and accepting that as a bargaining tool.
                                Of course it's a factor though. If just weeks before Ollie came in, our management and coaching staff all deemed him not good enough, then surely there is a chance he is genuinely not good enough and just playing out of his skin having been given an opportunity.

Patrick Agyemang looked like a Premiership standard player for half a season when he first came to us. Pretty much any player can hit a run of form. They can also disappear from our thinking pretty quickly when that form goes, and end up plying their trade further down the divisions.

This is why I find the current transfer market so ridiculous. Silly money being chucked around based on potential. Paul Pogba being the best example. 107m or whatever it was, just based on the fact that he might become the best central midfielder in the world one day in the future. Bloke certainly ain't at the moment. He isn't even the best central midfielder at Man Utd and that ain't cos they are the best in that area of the pitch. I'm sure Juve never really wanted him to go, but at that price how could they not do the deal?

Comment

Working...
                                X