Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ollie and Les - an insight into their working relationship?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dogsrrs View Post
    That's what I think facts , but I certainly do think Ollie will want some older players of his choice and that's where I could see a conflict of interests between him and ### the side is in dire need of a bit more experience in certain places ie mf and up front
    I don't understand why this would be a conflict of interest Dogs? What evidence is there for Les being averse to having more experienced players in the side?

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
      I don't understand why this would be a conflict of interest Dogs? What evidence is there for Les being averse to having more experienced players in the side?
      You don't think this summer we have made a dash for buying potential over a balanced squad Stan ? I could be wrong probably am but I just see Ollie more as a man of today that wears his heart on his sleeve where as the club seems to be ignoring today for the future , bearing in mind the reports that JFH wasn't best pleased with signings

Comment

Very interesting bit about JFH not being happy with the signings that were made. He must be the only manager of the Fernandes era that has not been.

Comment

You don't think this summer we have made a dash for buying potential over a balanced squad Stan ? I could be wrong probably am but I just see Ollie more as a man of today that wears his heart on his sleeve where as the club seems to be ignoring today for the future , bearing in mind the reports that JFH wasn't best pleased with signings
          For JFH to say that smacks of excuses and sour grapes to me because he sanctioned all his signings. The club are on record as saying that no signings are made without the manager's full support. If he's not completely happy then the player won't be signed.

As for conflict of interest with LF, I really can't see it. There are some experienced players in the squad, just not enough and/or of the wrong calibre - but in no way have I seen evidence of LF being averse in principle to the signing of experienced players. He knows full well you need the right blend of youth and experience to get out of this league.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
            For JFH to say that smacks of excuses and sour grapes to me because he sanctioned all his signings. The club are on record as saying that no signings are made without the manager's full support. If he's not completely happy then the player won't be signed.

As for conflict of interest with LF, I really can't see it. There are some experienced players in the squad, just not enough and/or of the wrong calibre - but in no way have I seen evidence of LF being averse in principle to the signing of experienced players. He knows full well you need the right blend of youth and experience to get out of this league.
            Fair enough Stan , JFH hasn't came out publicly and said he wasn't happy with signings sky reported that he wasn't ,ok you could say they have made that up but remember when a manager goes there are generally clauses in their pay off not to comment on their departure , but Stan the 2nd sentence above does seem contradictory he knows we need a Ballance of older and younger yet he sign too many players of potential , and we have some experienced players but not enough or of the right calibre surely that can be a reason for a manager not to be happy going into a new season

Comment

Originally posted by 1973 ranger View Post
              Very interesting bit about JFH not being happy with the signings that were made. He must be the only manager of the Fernandes era that has not been.
              Why 73 are you happy with what we've signed , now you've seen our league position and the dross we've seen , Can you see an improvement over last season ? , imo we look even more headless
              Last edited by dogsrrs; 13-11-2016, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Not so much happy with what we signed more about the manager not being happy and if so why not? Why would he not be happy if he chose the signings?

Comment

Fair enough Stan , JFH hasn't came out publicly and said he wasn't happy with signings sky reported that he wasn't ,ok you could say they have made that up but remember when a manager goes there are generally clauses in their pay off not to comment on their departure , but Stan the 2nd sentence above does seem contradictory he knows we need a Ballance of older and younger yet he sign too many players of potential , and we have some experienced players but not enough or of the right calibre surely that can be a reason for a manager not to be happy going into a new season
                  The squad we went into the new season with were JFH's players - I see no getting away from that fact. I do take your point Dogs, but the squad did contain some older players which tells you that LF was not averse to the principle of either signing, or not selling older squad players. So moving forward with Ollie I see no reason why that policy can't continue with hopefully the acquisition of a bit more experience in the Jan window.

Comment

Not so much happy with what we signed more about the manager not being happy and if so why not? Why would he not be happy if he chose the signings?
                    Buddy we're told he chose the signings but wasn't there a report was it Kilburn times that Lynch was a JFH signing but none of the others

Comment

If that is correct then I suppose you can see why he may have the hump. Lynch decent signing Bidwell not sure as injury has not helped him. Sylla has been a relative success and scored important goals with being a regular starter.

Comment

If that is correct then I suppose you can see why he may have the hump. Lynch decent signing Bidwell not sure as injury has not helped him. Sylla has been a relative success and scored important goals with being a regular starter.
                        For sure there are some that are descent that have came in and made some sort of an impact but collectively I think too many were bought as potential yeah we'd hope they will come good but imo that's likely to be next season , look at our squad 2 poles 2 Dutch a German a Frenchman an African an ozy from the 3rd tier along with teammate from Swindon plus our own youngsters making the step up , just my thought but a senior championship quality forward and a m/ f player should have a priority , surely as professional football men they could have bought in a more balanced group of players

Comment

As should be the case from now on, a manager who comes in, should do two things. 1) every window, give a list of positions he needs players in, as well as the attributes he wants them to offer; 2) give a list of players he wants. From that point, the DoF and scouting team goes and gets reports on these guys, judging their resale potential, how closely they match his required attributes, expected value, etc. They come back to the manager with a list of 5 players who most closely fit the club's budget and his requirements. The manager then makes a choice on his preferred approach order and the club aims to pursue those players, in order of preference.

This is what we know to be true, based on what the DoF role is and what Les and others at the club have said in the past, including JFH himself. Ultimately, the choices are his, what this does is allow him to focus more on managing than searching for targets.
                          "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

For sure there are some that are descent that have came in and made some sort of an impact but collectively I think too many were bought as potential yeah we'd hope they will come good but imo that's likely to be next season , look at our squad 2 poles 2 Dutch a German a Frenchman an African an ozy from the 3rd tier along with teammate from Swindon plus our own youngsters making the step up , just my thought but a senior championship quality forward and a m/ f player should have a priority , surely as professional football men they could have bought in a more balanced group of players
                            I think had we kept Faurlin on at least, we would have looked a lot more balanced just from an experience perspective. I don't disagree with the club's stance on focusing on signing young players as that tends to represent the best long term value and ultimately, our goals are long term. But I can see the benefit of having some more balance. Perhaps they thought Lynch, Henry, Smithies etc being Championship stalwarts would have been enough.
                            "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Interesting points Nas and agree that too many at the same time in hindsight was a bit too many especially when you take into consideration the majority were players who were playing in another league. Warnock did it correctly back in 10/11 by buying Paddy, Hill, Derry etc etc.

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
                                I think had we kept Faurlin on at least, we would have looked a lot more balanced just from an experience perspective. I don't disagree with the club's stance on focusing on signing young players as that tends to represent the best long term value and ultimately, our goals are long term. But I can see the benefit of having some more balance. Perhaps they thought Lynch, Henry, Smithies etc being Championship stalwarts would have been enough.
                                Yeah I find myself in agreement with a lot of that but the reality is Faulin was allowed to move on without a replacement of type yes the plan is to build for the future but at the moment that seems distant , Smithies tho he's had a fair bit of expirience is still young and I wouldn't call him championship this fella is prem class we had shown an interest in him when in the prem also while we was clamouring for Bentely the club was pulling off a coe in getting Smudger as I say not all bad business just too much expected of players bought for potential from various parts in too great a number some will come good some won't that's an unfortunate fact when buying young players but you have to say nothing ventured nothing gained

Comment

Working...
                                X