Darnell Furlong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darnell Furlong

Getting lots of reports that he was excellent last night. May have another future great ?

Has A LOT to learn defensively, and needs to get his right winger to help him out more... There were two over a lot of the time and their left back had acres of space in the final third on a number of occasions.

Would also like for him to look for the ball into feet a bit more, as opposed to just clipping it in the channel.

You can see the base of a good game is there though.

Comment

Originally posted by West London is Rss View Post
      Has A LOT to learn defensively, and needs to get his right winger to help him out more... There were two over a lot of the time and their left back had acres of space in the final third on a number of occasions.

Would also like for him to look for the ball into feet a bit more, as opposed to just clipping it in the channel.

As Ex Pro defenders that we are on here, we can clearly see all the defensive techniques he's lacking :P

Comment

I was about to say similar based on what I saw on the highlights.

I haven't watched the whole game back yet, but you can see on the 11 or 12 minutes of highlights a couple of glaring errors with regards to his positioning when the opposition had the ball.

That said, you could also see some real positives. Looks a lot more physical than when he first played for us a couple of seasons back, seems to have bulked up and grown a few inches. Couple of good headers from set pieces, one of which rattled the bar.

Looks like a work in progress for me and unfortunately for Darnell we have good options at right back this season in Onouha & Perch with Osman Kakay also given a squad number and knocking on the door for a chance in the first team. I'd probably consider sending him out on loan until Christmas, see if a run in the first team in League One or elsewhere in the Championship brings him on at all!

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbie View Post
          I was about to say similar based on what I saw on the highlights.

I haven't watched the whole game back yet, but you can see on the 11 or 12 minutes of highlights a couple of glaring errors with regards to his positioning when the opposition had the ball.

That said, you could also see some real positives. Looks a lot more physical than when he first played for us a couple of seasons back, seems to have bulked up and grown a few inches. Couple of good headers from set pieces, one of which rattled the bar.

Looks like a work in progress for me and unfortunately for Darnell we have good options at right back this season in Onouha & Perch with Osman Kakay also given a squad number and knocking on the door for a chance in the first team. I'd probably consider sending him out on loan until Christmas, see if a run in the first team in League One or elsewhere in the Championship brings him on at all!
          Yeah the base is there - Think he needs a loan to a decent League 1 club.

Comment

Not ready yet. If ever.

Comment

I'm not convinced either Perch (plays better at LB) or Onouha (plays better at CH) are ideal options for RB. But they 1st options for Championship games.
              Personally, I would send Kakay out on loan as he is younger and needs to experience the EFL 1 or 2 like furlong has. Div 2 in Scotland last season is no comparison.

Meanwhile, I would get our coaches to work Furlong on the areas of concenr mentioned, over the next 2 weeks to see how he improves against Rochdale.
              After which his training plan can be reveiwed. But as a natural RB, I would like to see him pushing for a 1st team place.

Comment

Tough job for the full backs last night as Swindon's wingers played so wide they were near enough off the pitch. If they go out to mark they leave massive gaps along the back line. Neither full back got help from their wide men, but credit to Swindon more than anything as their shape and switch of play was very good imo in the first half. Furlong done OK, nothing spectacular.
                @chrisrobson9

Comment

Originally posted by QPR1976 View Post
                  I'm not convinced either Perch (plays better at LB) or Onouha (plays better at CH) are ideal options for RB. But they 1st options for Championship games.
                  Personally, I would send Kakay out on loan as he is younger and needs to experience the EFL 1 or 2 like furlong has. Div 2 in Scotland last season is no comparison.

Meanwhile, I would get our coaches to work Furlong on the areas of concenr mentioned, over the next 2 weeks to see how he improves against Rochdale.
                  After which his training plan can be reveiwed. But as a natural RB, I would like to see him pushing for a 1st team place.
                  Whilst I agree that Perch has played his best games for us at left back and that Nedum is a centre half, both are more than adequate at this level. I thought Onouha was great against Leeds at the weekend.

As for whether to send 1 or both of Kakay and Furlong out on loan.....every player develops differently. Mide Shodipo hasn't been loaned anywhere and for me, he looks ready to go straight into the first team.

Comment

Whilst I agree that Perch has played his best games for us at left back and that Nedum is a centre half, both are more than adequate at this level. I thought Onouha was great against Leeds at the weekend.

As for whether to send 1 or both of Kakay and Furlong out on loan.....every player develops differently. Mide Shodipo hasn't been loaned anywhere and for me, he looks ready to go straight into the first team.
                    Thought Shodipo was good against Leeds, anonymous last night.

Comment

Fair play Tarbs, the Championship is a more forgiving level, and Onouha did OK v Leeds BUT, he looked uncomfortable with the ball once he crossed the half way line v Leeds and he gifted them their only real chance. Better opposition would have burried that 1 on 1.
                      I just think it's time furlong stepped up to the 1st team, he's proved himself on loan, work on his game with a view to pressing Perch/Onouha for a start. Kakay needs EFL experience 1st IMO.

And Shodipo looked good in the 1st half v Leeds, but didn't get so involved in the 2nd half. Bidwell was constantly helping and guiding him, which was nice to see.

Comment

Originally posted by QPR1976 View Post
                        Fair play Tarbs, the Championship is a more forgiving level, and Onouha did OK v Leeds BUT, he looked uncomfortable with the ball once he crossed the half way line v Leeds and he gifted them their only real chance. Better opposition would have burried that 1 on 1.
                        I just think it's time furlong stepped up to the 1st team, he's proved himself on loan, work on his game with a view to pressing Perch/Onouha for a start. Kakay needs EFL experience 1st IMO.

And Shodipo looked good in the 1st half v Leeds, but didn't get so involved in the 2nd half. Bidwell was constantly helping and guiding him, which was nice to see.
                        Furlong is the polar opposite for me. Looks good bombing forward and covers a lot of ground but makes far too many mistakes defensively and gets pulled out of position a lot. For me, I like a defender to be able to defend first, if they can attack too then brilliant!

Comment

Has A LOT to learn defensively, and needs to get his right winger to help him out more....
                          Can be argued that the right winger should be more alert defensively.

Comment

Furlong is the polar opposite for me. Looks good bombing forward and covers a lot of ground but makes far too many mistakes defensively and gets pulled out of position a lot. For me, I like a defender to be able to defend first, if they can attack too then brilliant!
                            This is how I saw Darnell last night, agree Tarbie. Also thought he was good in the air.
                            Top Scorers 2018/2019

Nakhi Wells - 8
                            Pawel Wszolek - 6
                            Luke Freeman - 6
                            Matt Smith - 6
                            Ebere Eze - 4
                            Joel Lynch - 3
                            Tomer Hemed - 3
                            Toni Leistner - 2
                            Massimo Luongo- 2
                            Angel Rangel - 2
                            Bright Osayi-Samuel - 2
                            Geoff Cameron - 1
                            Aramide Oteh - 1
                            Jake Bidwell - 1
                            Jordan Cousins - 1

Summer Transfers 2019

IN

OUT

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Ninja View Post
                              This is how I saw Darnell last night, agree Tarbie. Also thought he was good in the air.
                              Encouraging thing is he appears to have the attributes. With the right coaching perhaps he will make it as a first team player in the not too distant future.

Comment

Working...
                              X