Premier League

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Premier League

Trying not to be pessimistic, but given the cost of player transfers in the premiership (the cheapest seems to be 20 million), what are the chances of a small team like ours going up and staying in the premiership.

it will get tougher as each year goes by. need to hope you go up with enough quality to stay up for a year or two, then start spending with the money earned.

Comment

Originally posted by jmelanie View Post
      Trying not to be pessimistic, but given the cost of player transfers in the premiership (the cheapest seems to be 20 million), what are the chances of a small team like ours going up and staying in the premiership.
      Build slowly with solid foundations that have been put in place over many years.

Swansea, Bournemouth, Southampton, Leicester are the templates; so it's not as if others haven't proved it's achievable. Yoyo clubs like Norwich and Hull do ok too. Not forgetting parachute payments.

Comment

Better than the chances of Leicester winning the Premier League? Or perhaps the Chances of Portugal winning the European Championships.....with Cristiano Ronaldo out injured? Or how about Wales making it through to the semi's?

What the last year in football has made abundantly clear is that it isn't always the most expensive or the most talented team that wins at the end of the day. I've argued with many on here about players like Adel and some of the other prima donnas we've had here in the past. For me, talent isn't even half the battle. What is far more important is a team that wants to work hard for each other, has the will to win and has the right work Ethic. If we have that and a bit of luck, then why shouldn't we be a Premiership side again in the near future?
        Last edited by Tarbie; 13-07-2016, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Get promoted with a decent solid team then spend the money wisely (ie not £10m on James Tomkins for example) and establishing ourselves in the PL is not impossible.

Comment

Of course a smaller team can stay in the premier league......I may be a lone voice on this but I really wouldn't care less if we never got back to the premier league..

Comment

What small clubs like Swansea, and Bournemouth, and Watford ? You've just got to get past that first season and as Bournemouth and Watford proved last year that's more than possible. Crystal ####ing palace (a club I personally think are about our level) are bidding 30 million quid on players. It's about how you are managed off the pitch and we seem to be getting our house in order. We are not the circus we once were

Comment

Having a team that works for each other, solid formation and with everyone knowing their roles goes a long way and you can more than compete.....ask Leicester.

Comment

Originally posted by James1979 View Post
                  Having a team that works for each other, solid formation and with everyone knowing their roles goes a long way and you can more than compete.....ask Leicester.
                  Jesus I totally forgot Leicester. They went through similar periods to ourselves, got organised signed a couple of unknown players who turned out to be worldies and win the premier league. It can happen and it does happen

Comment

Originally posted by Greg1882 View Post
                    Jesus I totally forgot Leicester. They went through similar periods to ourselves, got organised signed a couple of unknown players who turned out to be worldies and win the premier league. It can happen and it does happen
                    as above

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnykc View Post
                      Of course a smaller team can stay in the premier league......I may be a lone voice on this but I really wouldn't care less if we never got back to the premier league..
                      But we all want us to win every week, and doing that means the prem is something that happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Mcleod View Post
                        But we all want us to win every week, and doing that means the prem is something that happens.
                        Yep.....generally it's an over hyped, self important and predictable league.......and our last 2 visits have definitely soured the experience beyond redemption.......

Comment

Yeah but Fulham looked pretty sorted for 10+ years and then it all caved in. Might be all rosy at the mo' for Leicester, Southampton, Swansea etc but it can go awry alarmingly quickly.

Comment

Working...
                          X