4-4-2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4-4-2

WE NEED TO GO 4-4-2 or the season ahead will be SH##.

We do but won't happen

Comment

Completely agree that 4-4-2 is the formation to play with. Unfortunately you have to play to your strengths and chery is our best player... you play 4-4-2 and where does he go? We've already seen him out on the left and its nowhere near as good when hes in the hole.

Comment

There's a reason 4231 is the most used formation in the world of football today. Extremely versatile and plays to many strengths. With the right striker and wingers, we'll do fantastically.
        "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
          There's a reason 4231 is the most used formation in the world of football today.
          But because of that teams know how to defend against it, which is why 4-4-2, 4-3-3 and Conti's occasional 4-2-4 enjoyed relative success at the Euros. One up only works these days if you have a footballing 9 - comfortable on the ball - and the support arrives fast and in numbers. Not sure if we can offer either as of now. The system has to fit the players, not the other way around..... cut according to your cloth. Right now we look solid at the back but that's about it, like you imply that may change. One thing JFH will need is a plan B.

The interesting from the Euros is that there really is no substitute for pace in the modern game, the difference between France and Germany was the speed of the French transition. Germany - who otherwise would have won that game with a 4-3-3 set up of total dominance for long periods- were exposed by pace.

Comment

Originally posted by hal9thou View Post
            But because of that teams know how to defend against it, which is why 4-4-2, 4-3-3 and Conti's occasional 4-2-4 enjoyed relative success at the Euros. One up only works these days if you have a footballing 9 - comfortable on the ball - and the support arrives fast and in numbers. Not sure if we can offer either as of now. The system has to fit the players, not the other way around..... cut according to your cloth. Right now we look solid at the back but that's about it, like you imply that may change. One thing JFH will need is a plan B.

The interesting from the Euros is that there really is no substitute for pace in the modern game, the difference between France and Germany was the speed of the French transition. Germany - who otherwise would have won that game with a 4-3-3 set up of total dominance for long periods- were exposed by pace.
            French pace wasn't brought about by players but style, you can do that with slow players, hence Giroud being used and Sagna and Evra being regulars and Payet playing on the wing despite his fairly average pace. If you think we should go with style based on players, you are looking at it far too short term. We as a club want an identity on the pitch. A QPR way. For that to happen, we need a style to then be followed by players. When I think of what the QPR style is, it's a team of grafters around a maverick. If we play 442, say goodbye to that happening and for me, that's our identity.

By the way, the french played a very clear 4231 with Griezmann playing off Giroud in the middle.
            "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

IF we go 4-4-2 (which I doubt) we need the full backs to bomb up the wings to support the attack, a ball winner in the centre of the park and a ball player who can pass a diagonal 30-40 yards and thread a pass to unlock a defence. Simple

Comment

French pace wasn't brought about by players but style, you can do that with slow players, hence Giroud being used and Sagna and Evra being regulars and Payet playing on the wing despite his fairly average pace. If you think we should go with style based on players, you are looking at it far too short term. We as a club want an identity on the pitch. A QPR way. For that to happen, we need a style to then be followed by players.
                We disagree on this. For me, as of now, we have no forward players capable of playing one up front, no creativity behind, and build too slowly. There is no way I would send the current squad out in 4-2-3-1 and expect us to score. I accept that this may change depending on transfer business. QPR have not had a style for years. We had one when we were properly good, but that was years ago when we had pace and more than one player comfortable on the ball.

By the way, the french played a very clear 4231 with Griezmann playing off Giroud in the middle.
                Yes and no. This piece worth a read re tactics actually employed....

Btw I always enjoy your posts and tactical discussions, keep up the good work.

Comment

How about 3-5-1-1? Wales play it successfully and were the only team to do so at the Euros, hence why other teams struggled against them (apart from England and Portugal).

Comment

[QUOTE=nasser95;1544068]There's a reason 4231 is the most used formation in the world of football today.

The number of pints served in Long John's, Amersfoort, on Friday afternoon.........

Comment

I think we would get over run in the midfield, it would require our players to work very hard and be very disciplined. It wouldnt be pretty but can be very effective when done well like at Atletico.

Comment

Working...
                      X