Statistics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Statistics

Gets my goat every time you hear from pundits & SSN about possession, passes made, distance run etc.etc the only statistic that counts is how many times the ball (legally) hits the net!

Originally posted by Artful View Post
    Gets my goat every time you hear from pundits & SSN about possession, passes made, distance run etc.etc the only statistic that counts is how many times the ball (legally) hits the net!
    "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
      Hahahhahah :D the one that annoyed me today was Robbie savage saying Bale has scored 9 goals with his head in la liga this season. He said it multiple times, I think the only fact he learnt.

Comment

Like I've said before you could have 99% possession, 30 shots on target, if the other team breaks and scores and you lose 1-0 what good or use are those stats? F%ck all.

Waste of time. Good for when you're buying players, performance wise, but not for matches.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy Floyd Rabbit View Post
          Like I've said before you could have 99% possession, 30 shots on target, if the other team breaks and scores and you lose 1-0 what good or use are those stats? F%ck all.

Waste of time. Good for when you're buying players, performance wise, but not for matches.
          Well, the point I'd like to make is that there are then other stats that prove that the other team was more efficient. It's that simple really. If you're looking at quantity in stats, you're looking at them wrong. You're looking for quality in them and you can find it. That's why ratios are used, like goals per minute, goals per shot, tackles per foul, final third passes to total passes, etc.
          "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

ok

Comment

Play off Wembley 2014 stats, I rest my case your honour.

Comment

Originally posted by loftbalcony View Post

It's like people have some difficulty reading here. Here, I'll break it down for you on that match. You're probably looking at the fact that they had 67.1% possession, 16 shots, 83% pass success rate. That's normal for people to look at, but it doesn't tell the story. What I rather look at is the touches per shot (How efficient we were from start to finish). Derby had 43 touches per shot, we only had 39, making us more efficient than them and that's the general tale of the story of the match. we made 3.4 tackles per foul that game, they made 2.5, which means their tackling was worse than ours. When you look at possession, we were significantly more efficient than them, not only did we have a higher proportion of passes than them in the final third compared to our total passes (75% to their 72%), but given that we had made almost half the passes they did, we were more efficient with our passing leading to chance creation. It took them 32 passes to take a shot, it only took us 22.

So you suggest that the stats show that they should have won, well the raw stats do, but for match analysis, raw stats don't tell the full story and a bit of extra work needs to go in, hence the existence of analysts in sport.

Hope I answered your question/statement.

Comment

One doth protest to much

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy Floyd Rabbit View Post
                    One doth protest to much
                    One doth rather enjoy sifting through the statistics in his spare time.

In any case, as I've said before, just looking at numbers makes for an easy target of bs. at the same time, totally ignoring them hides the full picture. It's all about balance at the end of the day. The numbers are useful but you have to really know what you're looking for.

Comment

Still trying to convince us Nas? We're not dumb mate. I've been watching football since before you dribbled out your old mans sack pal. I know how football works and what I see, but thanks all the same.

Comment

1 shot on target and 1 goal. Says all I need to know

Comment

While I think live match stats can sometimes be a bit tedious, I acknowledge that stats can be an important post-match analysis tool which can assist clubs (and fans) in understanding what happened during the match and why, and therefore also help with preparation for coming matches.
                          QPR since 1993
                          WATRB since 2015
                          First QPR game hopefully in 2017

Comment

It's when SSN use football manager stats. Like xyz player has 12 passing but 15 determination.
                            Soldier: "im on reconnaissance sir.. im looking for our camouflage expert.. have you seen him?"
                            Lovejoy: "No?!"
                            Soldier: "GOD DAMNIT THAT GUYS GOOD!"

Please Follow My Twitter

Comment

1 shot on target and 1 goal. Says all I need to know
                              Well then you're ignoring 90 minutes of football. But that's your decision, I personally like to have a full awareness of everything that happened all game.

Comment

Working...
                              X