Is anyone still talking up the BFG?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FurtiveFox View Post
    Took the trouble to apologise for his display. Wants to do well and wants to improve his game.

Surely we should be offering encouragement? Is still young and a real trier, plenty of time to get better technically.
    agreed. Seems to have the right attitude and even when kicking off earlier in the season, you could understand as he just wanted to play.

You have to play to his strengths and this is by getting crosses in the box. for all his critics, i think Phillips is a decent crosser of the ball and perch seems able to aswell. not completely sold on hoilett and konch delivery yet though.

considering our very limited striker options, i would have thought people should encourage. Might just be the people around me, but the fans did seem very quick to jump on his back. 60 yard ball lump aimlessly upfront and people expect him to kill it and lay it off every time?

you either score all the time and are loved or are completly useless, no middle ground - the mind of many a rangers fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Briankey81 View Post
      I actually think polter was doing alright today and was one of our better players first half, I was surprised when he got subbed ahead of a few others.
      you have got to be having a laugh,he was awful again as he was last week. the guys is dreadful all right he's scored a couple but really he's substandard doesn't win much in the air, doesn't seem to jump, his hold up play is poor, and as for his TOUCH . well he ain't got one,
      Last edited by dave58; 16-02-2016, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FurtiveFox View Post
        Took the trouble to apologise for his display. Wants to do well and wants to improve his game.

Surely we should be offering encouragement? Is still young and a real trier, plenty of time to get better technically.
        Ho do you improve on the fact that he is lacking natural ability?

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbie View Post
          Ho do you improve on the fact that he is lacking natural ability?
          He has natural ability, it's just not outside the box. He can finish and he can head the ball, that is usually enough if you play to that unlike what we've been doing. He'll learn the technique over time but I think we should give him more time.
          "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
            He has natural ability, it's just not outside the box. He can finish and he can head the ball, that is usually enough if you play to that unlike what we've been doing. He'll learn the technique over time but I think we should give him more time.
            Being a big f*ckin lump who can get his head on stuff is not natural ability.

Polter has absolutely no pace, his control is woeful, he hasn't got a trick, can't beat a man, his positional sense isn't great. In fact all he's got in his locker is the ability to stand on a defenders toes at a set piece and hope the ball lands on his head, and the ability to stand up top and have people lump it to him. The latter of which is basically bad news because it encourages us to play the pathetic brand of long ball football that we've seen way too much of in recent years already!

Comment

Polter has absolutely no pace, his control is woeful, he hasn't got a trick, can't beat a man, his positional sense isn't great. In fact all he's got in his locker is the ability to stand on a defenders toes at a set piece and hope the ball lands on his head, and the ability to stand up top and have people lump it to him. The latter of which is basically bad news because it encourages us to play the pathetic brand of long ball football that we've seen way too much of in recent years already!
              Totally agree.Dogs poo.

Comment

Completely agree, no skill, pace, vision, control and even his shooting needs a lot of work.

Some would say that scoring goals is what he's paid to do, well so did Patrick Ageymang, Stuart Wardley, Devon White etc.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeSheronLoveChild View Post
                  Completely agree, no skill, pace, vision, control and even his shooting needs a lot of work.

Some would say that scoring goals is what he's paid to do, well so did Patrick Ageymang, Stuart Wardley, Devon White etc.
                  Any striker can hit a purple patch, it's a confidence game at the end of the day. We've seen it before here, Agyemang, Wardley (who was a midfielder, but the same applies), Andy Thompson etc. You can't let it cloud your judgement about a player. When I watch Polter play I see a lack of quality in almost every area of his game. Yes, I commend his heart and his work rate but if heart and work rate was enough to get by then I'd get a game every week too....so would half the fans I'd guess.

Comment

Positional sense is fine, hence why he's scored so often recently. Heading accurately in itself is a talent and a style of play. There are plenty of teams with a target man who don't need to lump it up to him because they do the logical thing of getting it out to the wing instead, who can then cross it in. He's not about beating players, he's about getting that final touch and at the end of the day, that matters more than anything.
                    "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Positional sense is fine, hence why he's scored so often recently. Heading accurately in itself is a talent and a style of play. There are plenty of teams with a target man who don't need to lump it up to him because they do the logical thing of getting it out to the wing instead, who can then cross it in. He's not about beating players, he's about getting that final touch and at the end of the day, that matters more than anything.
                      Do you ever stop and wonder why your opinion seems to be different from that of virtually everyone else on this site Nas? I know we are each entitled to our own opinion but some of yours are way out there and often backed up by an utterly pointless stat.

Fair enough, Polter has got goals in a season where they have been hard to come by but please don't start suggesting he's something that he's not.

Comment

And his positional sense is a long way from fine. Spends half the game running around in areas where he is going to offer nothing. Virtually all his goals have come from set plays, not open play.

Comment

The days of having a successful team with a lump up front (who can't do much else) are long gone.

I think he has the attributes to be an impact sub, coming on with 10-15mins to go when chasing a goal. But the fact that we spent (allegedly) over £1m on him makes it even more shocking.

Comment

I agree with Nasser, he is about scoring the goal in the 6 yard box and he does that really well. As we do have him as our main option for the rest of the season we should play to his strengths rather than just kicking it straight up field every time we get the ball back. Our distribution was terrible on Saturday and that contributed to his poor performance.

Comment

And his positional sense is a long way from fine. Spends half the game running around in areas where he is going to offer nothing. Virtually all his goals have come from set plays, not open play.
                              Of his 5 goals this season (including the cup one), 3 have been from open play and 2 have been from set pieces so stop making up bs.

Next up, onto your previous post, at least I back up every single point I make. If I have an opinion, I ensure it's validated. Head over heart and all that. I could not care any less if my opinions are so completely different to everyone else's, its never something that goes through my head. Even still, I'd say more people here take no issue to anything I say, they're just quieter about it than the people who bash me.

Calling a statistic pointless is like calling a fish hydrophobic.

Comment

Originally posted by nanocopic View Post
                                I agree with Nasser, he is about scoring the goal in the 6 yard box and he does that really well. As we do have him as our main option for the rest of the season we should play to his strengths rather than just kicking it straight up field every time we get the ball back. Our distribution was terrible on Saturday and that contributed to his poor performance.
                                Thank you mate, this is exactly it. Look at people like Klose, who've made a career out of being in the 6 yard box. Not the most talented player outside the box but he doesn't need to be. The team knows what he offers and plays to it. Once we do that with Seb, goals will flow.

For the record, because I know there will be people thinking I'm comparing the quality of Polter to that of Klose, I'm not.

Comment

Working...
                                X