No announcement yet.

Is anyone still talking up the BFG?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can people slate a player who puts the ball in the net even when not getting acceptable service? Just my opinon.
    QPR
    Best team in the world
    Sort of

Comment

Originally posted by Shania View Post
      How can people slate a player who puts the ball in the net even when not getting acceptable service? Just my opinon.
      Thank you.
      Top Scorers 2018/2019

Nakhi Wells - 8
      Pawel Wszolek - 6
      Luke Freeman - 6
      Matt Smith - 6
      Ebere Eze - 4
      Joel Lynch - 3
      Tomer Hemed - 3
      Toni Leistner - 2
      Massimo Luongo- 2
      Angel Rangel - 2
      Bright Osayi-Samuel - 2
      Geoff Cameron - 1
      Aramide Oteh - 1
      Jake Bidwell - 1
      Jordan Cousins - 1

Summer Transfers 2019

IN

OUT

Comment

Originally posted by Shania View Post
        Because people on this forum need a scapegoat. The fact is that he won player of the month last month and its taken people here one and a half games to get on his back.
        "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Lets be honest he is another ian dowie
          R's

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
            Because people on this forum need a scapegoat. The fact is that he won player of the month last month and its taken people here one and a half games to get on his back.
            Spot on, nasser95.
            QPR
            Best team in the world
            Sort of

Comment

Thank you mate, this is exactly it. Look at people like Klose, who've made a career out of being in the 6 yard box. Not the most talented player outside the box but he doesn't need to be. The team knows what he offers and plays to it. Once we do that with Seb, goals will flow.

For the record, because I know there will be people thinking I'm comparing the quality of Polter to that of Klose, I'm not.
              Did you just compare Seb Polter to Miroslav Klose?

Lord, give me strength!!!

Comment

respectfully disagree. im not saying he's a scapegoat. I just see him jumping for aerial duels and winning a very very small percentage of them (you more than anyone can give us the exact #s). I'd be winning to wager its around the 10-20% mark.

Service or not, we often play hoofballs from our third to the final third, where BFG is. If you want to be optimistic, one can say: the simple fact that he jumps and challenges for every duel is an asset, as he keeps defenders on their toes. BUT THE FACT THAT he rarely wins any of those balls is worrysome, and the reason why a lot of our moves break down / we lose possession.

The puzzling thing is that when in the box, he is able to get on the end of crosses and head them. 2nd min goal v Wolves for example.
                So why cant he win a header when in the final third outside of the 18 yd box??? Is it a mental thing? ie he wants to score?
                Rangers Til I Die
                follow me at twitter.com/arthurqpr

Comment

Isn't player of the month voted on by the fans? Surely all that shows is that a few people got excited by him putting the ball in the back of the net a few times.

I think he has a dreadful first touch for a professional footballer which sees him regularly surrender possession because he can't control it properly. Yes he's scored a couple of decent headed goals but I'd put that down to his height and awkwardness rather than skill.

That said, there are little alternatives up front at the moment so there seems little point in getting upset by him, as long as we realise his limitations....

Comment

The problem is that he's basically a decent lower league striker, we all know that really, and accepting him means accepting the massively lowered sights the club now aspires to - in total contrast to what they said when Ramsey was sacked. In other words the boy is a reality check.

To get the best out of him you'd have to set up the formation around him, and these days no one does that anymore. Too predictable.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbie View Post
                      Did you just compare Seb Polter to Miroslav Klose?

Lord, give me strength!!!
                      Why don't you read the full post you absolute tool. I literally say the exact opposite in the second sentence.
                      "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Originally posted by Lunar Jetman View Post
                        Isn't player of the month voted on by the fans? Surely all that shows is that a few people got excited by him putting the ball in the back of the net a few times.

I think he has a dreadful first touch for a professional footballer which sees him regularly surrender possession because he can't control it properly. Yes he's scored a couple of decent headed goals but I'd put that down to his height and awkwardness rather than skill.

That said, there are little alternatives up front at the moment so there seems little point in getting upset by him, as long as we realise his limitations....
                        Lunar mate, you're spot on with the first part of the first line and I think that shows to me that this forum (as expected) is very much not representative of the full fanbase.

Comment

Originally posted by Lunar Jetman View Post

that's exactly the point I was trying to make though. how is he able to score via aerial headers from crosses in the box, yet his height and lumbering oafishness not able to help him outduel opposition defenders? its not like he is shrinking and expanding upon leaving and entering the 18yd box!!

but alas, a lot of great points made in your post Jetman.. especially your last sentence: no alternative, so just suck it up - as long as we don't go down, rebuild in the summer. im not going to lose my cool over it between now and May.
                          Rangers Til I Die
                          follow me at twitter.com/arthurqpr

Comment

Why don't you read the full post you absolute tool. I literally say the exact opposite in the second sentence.
                            Bit rich coming from about the biggest tool on this message board.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveQPR1975 View Post
                              Lets be honest he is another ian dowie
                              Youre right Steve but isn't the level we have sunk to

Comment

Originally posted by ArthurQPR_NYC View Post
                                how is he able to score via aerial headers from crosses in the box, yet his height and lumbering oafishness not able to help him outduel opposition defenders?
                                It is easier to attack a ball where you move towards it at pace (from a cross) than it is to out-jump an opponent for a lumped ball coming down from the air from a (usually) static position.

IMO only Helgusson and Zamora (kills me to say that) were effective at duelling outside the box in recent times.

Comment

Working...
                                X