Quote on Hughes/Fernandes in today's Independent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quote on Hughes/Fernandes in today's Independent

"Compare that to how Hughes’ players feel about him. He is actually one of the most intelligent Premier League managers, remembered at Manchester City for the way he threw himself into the business-planning sessions and relished the idea of developing intellectually. You just don’t hear him talking about it, because he happens to be one of the least extroverted of managers.

He has bought extremely shrewdly, having learned the lesson of his disastrous Queen’s Park Rangers spell, when the interference of owner Tony Fernandes affected transfer dealings more catastrophically than many appreciate."

Was gonna start a thread about Hughes yesterday but couldn't be bothered.

Basically although most of us hated him, was it warranted? He's turned out to be a top manager, who's doing a fantastic job at Stoke City.

I think a lot of the resentment was false hope from us, people talking about Europe and all sorts, along with some of the crap he purchased, Bosw@nka etc, but can we really blame it all on him? The board have a lot to answer for, but as far as Hughes is concerned, I think he just got bit with the QPR bug, in that anything decent we get turns to shite.

No love lost for me, as I think he was miserable as sin, but it's clear to see he's a top 10 PL manager all day long.

Comment

Let's not forget he's doing well now as he's not got Rigg riding on his back. Rigg is at Fulham causing chaos there instead

Also when he went Stoke did the owner there not dictate never wanted Rigg having any involvement and on that basis Hughes takes large amount of responsibility for how it went at ours as he brought him along

Comment

Does seem that the way some people talk about him you'd think he deliberately tried to destroy the club, bit like how some people think Ramsey, Les etc have tried to do the same.
        Maybe too many blank cheques from our owners actually contributed to his own downfall.
        Too many high earning mercenaries in the end.
        “He'll regret it till his dying day, if ever he lives that long”
        Will Danaher

Comment

I'd say the board buying in to Rigg's BS and Kia Joorabchian's portfolio was as much to blame as Hughes was - if not more. Because lets be honest - when the board of the respective club he's at are not p1$$ing their money up the wall - he's been a relative success.

Comment

Originally posted by maverick69 View Post
            I'd say the board buying in to Rigg's BS and Kia Joorabchian's portfolio was as much to blame as Hughes was - if not more. Because lets be honest - when the board of the respective club he's at are not p1$$ing their money up the wall - he's been a relative success.
            Pretty much sums it up
            Will Danaher

Comment

Originally posted by Itsonlyagame View Post
              Pretty much sums it up
              There's just something bout our club! We could have guardiola managing and messi up top and we would still find a way to struggle !

Comment

we all know park was a tony signing. the question remains how many more did tony want while hughes was in charge?

also, tony made hughes sign a non discloser agreement before hughes was payed off. i wonder iwonder
                nsa/cia spy on this..............┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Comment

Originally posted by furlong29 View Post
                  There's just something bout our club! We could have guardiola managing and messi up top and we would still find a way to struggle !
                  And no doubt there would be a few Guardiola out rants if he didn't hit the ground running !
                  Will Danaher

Comment

He's spent big at Stoke! Plus they're a bigger better club then QPR

QPR have small club mentality & the stadium is the biggest factor, Stokes ground is amazing!
                    Under Les Ferdinand:
                    Luke Freeman, top assists in the league: 4million
                    Alex Smithies, great goalie for this club: 3,5million
                    Charlie Austin, 19 Premier League goals: 4million
                    Jack Robinson: Contract ran out, left for free
                    And many more mistakes

LES FERDINAND, IT'S TIME TO GO

Comment

It's a funny old game.

Comment

I'm sure I heard or read somewhere that Hughes was unapproachable to the players, you had to go through Bowen or Nedzweicki to get a point across.

That type of management doesn't work everywhere.

I still say that Hughes is reaping the rewards of a team/backbone/work ethic created by Pulis

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdave View Post
                          I'm sure I heard or read somewhere that Hughes was unapproachable to the players, you had to go through Bowen or Nedzweicki to get a point across.

I still say that Hughes is reaping the rewards of a team/backbone/work ethic created by Pulis
                          If that's true then I'm on your side of the fence.

Comment

Originally posted by maverick69 View Post
                            Hindsight does tend to give the viewer absolute clarity, and conviction to their views

Don't EVER forget, Joorabachian is Hughes agent as well as agent for many of those wastrels that Hughes brought in.

As Lester Freamon said "Follow the money......."

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdave View Post

Big Dave sounds like you've had a good Xmas but come on that is nonsense. To give pulis all the credit is wrong. We have so many bitter fans and understandably. The fact is mark Hughes is a good manager. Yes they have organisation that pulis encouraged but their best players are flair players. Shaqiri and bojan are class players and they are given complete freedom to express there selves. They also have 3 or 4 brilliant players and its no fluke. If we were actually run like a progressive football club not a farce Hughes would of been enjoying some success with us.
                              I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

Working...
                              X