Midfielders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midfielders

Now I have no real issues with the signing of Dániel Tőzsér, he looks like a decent player at this level. I do however have an issue with where we have spent our money this transfer window. We seem to have an embarrassment of riches in central midfield, it makes me question why players like Oscar Gobern were brought in and why Karl Henry and arguably Ale Faurlin (great player I know but bound to get injured soon) were given new deals. You also have to question why we haven't done more to get big earners like Samba Diakite and Sandro out of the door, even if just on loan to free up some of our wage bill.

If you look at the squad critically you would have to say we are worryingly short at the back, particularly at centre half. Also, when Charlie inevitably gets his move for a couple of million less than we want for him at 11.45pm on deadline day, we are gonna be left complaining that we have no strikers that are proven at this level. Surely with a bit more forward planning we could have a squad with 2 Championship standard players for every position (even if a few go on deadline day) for a similar outlay as what we've spent already this window? I'm pretty sure that isn't asking too much or being overly critical.

It's not the first time either is it? It seems to have been a common situation in the last 3 or 4 seasons, loads of options in the centre of the pitch but gaps at the back and up top. Doesn't make sense to me, surely we should have solved this by now.

Hopefully Les and Ramsey have something up their sleeves in the next few days and some loan ideas after that!
    Last edited by Tarbie; 29-08-2015, 10:07 AM.

New management set up from last season and nothing changes this problem at the back should have been priority

Comment

Toszer to play when Faurlin can't is my guess. Look very similar. Luongo probably play further up leaving Sandro/Henry for the destructive midfielder position.

Doughty as back up, Gobern to carry the drinks, and Samba will be admitted soon.

Comment

Originally posted by dogsrrs View Post
        New management set up from last season and nothing changes this problem at the back should have been priority
        Actually, he got rid of Dunne, Rio and Caulker so there has been changes. There is no point in buying if they don't fit the mold. Les and Ramsey clearly looking for young and hungry players who want to develop or prove themselves to their parent clubs. We need to be patient too.

Comment

Originally posted by bakes8 View Post
          Toszer to play when Faurlin can't is my guess. Look very similar. Luongo probably play further up leaving Sandro/Henry for the destructive midfielder position.

Doughty as back up, Gobern to carry the drinks, and Samba will be admitted soon.
          What about Leroy Fer when he's back from injury, and Comley who Ramsey seems to rate? Frankie Sutherland has also been given a squad number as well as Cherry & Gladwin who can play in the middle if required to.
          Last edited by Tarbie; 29-08-2015, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Taarabt View Post
            Actually, he got rid of Dunne, Rio and Caulker so there has been changes. There is no point in buying if they don't fit the mold. Les and Ramsey clearly looking for young and hungry players who want to develop or prove themselves to their parent clubs. We need to be patient too.
            Don't get me wrong, I'm not scared of change and I'm far more patient that a lot of posters on here. That said, I think we've got it wrong again this transfer window. It doesn't take a tactical genius to spot that there are some deficiencies in our squad, again!

Comment

I think we have to look at the bigger picture. In reality you cannot have a squad of 25 first team starters as it will lead to disharmony so I'm guessing clubs try to get a solid 15 or 16 players with the rest of the squad made up of those that can step in and do a job when needed or who are willing to work hard and earn their place when opportunity presents itself.

Having to many players who think they should be automatic choice has back fired on us in recent times when they don't get sniff of bench let alone first tesm; I give you Adel, SWP, Niko, Traore, Derry, Hoilett etc

As for why we have not moved them on I think that's harsh dig at club as if no one wants your players how are you supposed to move them on??? Generally it's your decent assets other clubs show an interest in not your rubbish. We can't even move on the second highest English goalscorer last season who is reasonably priced so what chance Traore!!!!!!!

I'm not one for paying up contracts so they can find another club and earn double bubble for two years so if were going pay them I say let them rot in the reserves

Just my views

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
                I think we have to look at the bigger picture. In reality you cannot have a squad of 25 first team starters as it will lead to disharmony so I'm guessing clubs try to get a solid 15 or 16 players with the rest of the squad made up of those that can step in and do a job when needed or who are willing to work hard and earn their place when opportunity presents itself.

Having to many players who think they should be automatic choice has back fired on us in recent times when they don't get sniff of bench let alone first tesm; I give you Adel, SWP, Niko, Traore, Derry, Hoilett etc

As for why we have not moved them on I think that's harsh dig at club as if no one wants your players how are you supposed to move them on??? Generally it's your decent assets other clubs show an interest in not your rubbish. We can't even move on the second highest English goalscorer last season who is reasonably priced so what chance Traore!!!!!!!

I'm not one for paying up contracts so they can find another club and earn double bubble for two years so if were going pay them I say let them rot in the reserves

Just my views
                Not asking for 25 first teamers mate, just a decent Championship standard player with 1 suitable understudy for every position.

Point taken on outbound players but why have Samba Diakite about the squad at all is my point? He's been in and around the club for 3 years yet we needed to give him game time in the pre-season to work out we don't need him? Should have told him early doors he wasn't needed and let his agent know we would listen to all offers for him.

Comment

Personally I think our midfield is fine. It's got strength in depth now. Unfortunately it's the other areas that are so obviously depleted it looks unbalanced.

We effectively play five midfielders every game and have available -

Luongo, Phillips, chery, Henry, faurlin, Mackie, Gladwin, tozer, fer, Sandro, hoilett, doughty ,jet and golbern. I think that's all of them. So 14 players which means just over 2 to every position.
                  I think it's safe to say golbern isn't a starter or breaking into the team this year and I would fully expect to lose 1 or 2 more of the above and we won't see hoilett near the first 11 for a very long time. 14 will become around 10 which is about right.

I also reckon tozer will be a starter not someone to come in when faurlin is injured.

Midfield wise we are extremely strong in depth. Defensively we need a rb and cb and upfront we need 1 possibly 2 players. Clubs done well so far but very nervous every few days for all of to see what happens.

Comment

I meant nothing changed about going into last season and this leaving ourselves short at the back you say there's no point buying if they dont fit well I certainly would'nt call Perch a good fit, we let a capable senior defender in Dunne go only to bring in another capable senior defender come to me that does'nt seem like had plans and targets for the defence

Comment

But I would argue decent standard championship player means one that thinks their first teamer. Think best squads have the right mix of those who are starters and those with potential making their way ready to take an opportunity. Most other clubs that's players who have come through system but at ours we have neglected that and chosen route of buying everything in instead of growing internally and organically

Gobern for me is decent enough as a back up player like you suggest but he's played two games where he has actually done well enough and people want him out why????? Of those saying not good enough how many have actually seen him play in the flesh to make that judgement, sometimes I think us fans are as guilty as the board that so many complain about and want out for short term vision

Comment

I meant going into this season the same as last season with a deleted defence you say it's no good buying if it's not a good fit , Perch a good fit ?
                        we got rid of a capable senior c/b Dunne and brought in a capable senior r/b Kon , does'nt seem like priority plans for the defence have been put in place early enough to me

Comment

I've always thought we should of kept dunne at championship level even at his age he is a very good command ing cb
                          R's

Comment

Consider my words on this thread eaten & pass me a big slice of humble pie. I'd say my ideal scenario of 2 Championship players for each position is a reality (with the exception perhaps of right back). I think we are looking in really good shape and can actually afford to send out a few young players on loans to gain first team experience.

I'm amazed that we've managed to hang onto all of our star players. Fair play to the board for keeping faith, it no doubt is costing them a few quid to bankroll this season. All we need to do know is make sure we get promoted!

Comment

Working...
                            X